TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

What should I do? - January 3rd 2012, 06:20 PM

My mom has been pressuring me to figure out what kind of career I want. The problem is, she wants me to be an engineer, and nothing else is really "As good" as engineering for me. The problem is, I hate math and science, and I'm lousy at it. I would dread waking up every morning to have to do that. I really would. Her other idea was an electrician, which basically sucks as much as construction, but you get paid a little more, and have to got school for it.

The thing is, I would actually like to work in journalism, as in writing in an office environment, or else psychology, like a counsellor, or maybe the kind who try to identify criminal behaviours or something. The thing is, she hates both these ideas, claiming I don't have "conections" in either one. My sister is going to be a lawyer, and she didn't have any law connections, and is doing just fine. She never pressured my sister like this, because "Women don't have to support their families!".

She wants me to do something I hate (like electrical work, or engineering.) because it wouldn't be that hard for me to do it, and it's dependable. The thing is, I have zero interest in things like that.

Next year is real highschool, where credits matter. She's threatening to kick me out of the house if I don't take the classes SHE wants me to take, unless I somehow think of something better. Is there some way I can convince her that I know what I want?

I'm going to provide some information, if anyone can somehow see a job from it:

- I like reading/writing and my best subject is English. I work quickly, and efficently, being able to finish all my English coursework in half the allotted time for the assignments.

- Math and Science are my worst subjects, if the science involves writing (like a lab write up.) I can normally salvage a B+ or ocasionally an A, but with simple point form questions I get C+ or B.

-I have suffiecent artistic ability, but not enough to sustain a job requring extensive skills.

- I love brain teasers and other word puzzles.

- I have some knowledge with computers (Video/musical editing. Photoshop.) but I no nothing about coding/hacking.

Any ideas?

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: What should I do? - January 3rd 2012, 07:26 PM

go into what you prefer

my mum wanted to be a doctor (LOL like that was going to happen I find more interest in watching people watch paint dry) but I prefer law so I'm going into philosophy then law because philosophy is fun

if you want to do journalism go into English to keep your options open

if you don't like physics or any science going into engineering or something like that would make you want to eat your eyeballs.

Psychology is ok but that lovely cash money will most likely come from private work... which isn't as abundant as the movies make it out to be.

Oh and work on your science too, it won't be a pain getting a better grade

good luck

Hey, guess why i smile a lot... because it's worth it

People who don't want you to think are never your friends.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye
I've been here a while

Name: Suv

Re: What should I do? - January 4th 2012, 05:23 PM

I'll say, start working for it now. From your post, I think your top choice is journalism. You can write articles for your school magazine and all. Or some local newspaper. There are loads of newspapers/magazines which publish articles written by their readers. My point is that start working towards what you want to do, what you think you will be able to do in the future. You are only 14 right now. If this whole writing for the magazines and all don't work out you'll know its not your cup of tea and you can consider other options. But if you are considering journalism as an option, start working towards it. Be passionate about it. And if you show some published article of yours in a school magazine or anywhere else then I am sure your mother too will start believing in your skills. Talk to your English teacher about it. I am sure they can guide you well.
I hope that helps.

"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it."

-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

(#4 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: What should I do? - January 4th 2012, 07:33 PM

Pisces: Great idea. Thank you very, very much.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye
I've been here a while