TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
xoJust_Juliaxo Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Julia

Job Corps ??? - January 6th 2012, 06:10 PM

I don't know if anybody has done it , or knows somebody that has gone through it but I was wondering if it would be a good idea for me after I get out of high school? I'm not totally sure about it , cause i have heard from other people that is bad news and basically sucks ... but these are from people who haven't actually gone and have just heard from other people. I just want to know , so that before I decide to go through with the application I know what I am getting myself into. If anyone could give me any advice this seriously would be great, because I really need some help with this.

TWLOHA Supporter

How do I live without the ones I love?
Time still turns the pages of the book it's burned
Place and time always on my mind
I have so much to say but you're so far away
  Send a message via AIM to xoJust_Juliaxo Send a message via Yahoo to xoJust_Juliaxo  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Maverick. Offline
Deep Thinker
I've been here a while

Name: Anthony

Re: Job Corps ??? - January 7th 2012, 02:00 PM

I have never been to Job Corps so I can't speak from personal experience, but my sister went to Job Corps. She dropped out school on her sophmore year and was basically staying home all day watching television, and going out late at night hanging out with people she shouldn't be. My parents didn't really give her a choice at going. Either go to Job Corps, or get kicked out.

I'm going to be honest. Depending on the person, it will be a good experience, or a bad experience. It all depends on how you choose to make it.

They basically prepare you for everyday life. They give you a place to sleep with a roommate. You get up, eat breakfast. You go to class and/or you do career training. You have lunch, you go back to class or work training. You are then allowed free time after that. You can hang out on campus and talk to the other people there, study homework. Then you go to bed at ten o clock.

On the weekends, they usually allow you to leave campus to go to the movies, go shopping etc.

Of course you are allowed to go home during christmas break and things like that.

Is there some specific reason as to why you want to go to Job Corps after you finish high school? Because usually High School dropouts are the ones that apply for it. The program is quite long, and there are lots of rules you to have to follow.

If you don't have money for college, there is financial aid and grants you can apply for.

If you don't know what career you want to pursue, many colleges have career and job centers, and you can speak with counselors or the workers there to figure out a trade for you.

Job Corps isn't a bad place, but there are alternative solutions which might be better.

If you really want to go and you've done your research, and talked it over with your family, then go for it.

You've had a landscaper and a house keeper since you were born
The sunshine always kept you warm.

Closed Thread