TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Tigereyes Offline
I can't get enough

Help Please - January 7th 2012, 12:08 AM

I'm pretty much unable to focus on anything school-related anymore. It just takes so much out of me and I have no motivation to do my homework or study. I still do, but nowhere near as well as I used to. I used to be a straight A student until my Spanish teacher ruined the entire class' GPAs. If the homework is easy I can do it, and even if it isn't, I eventually end up writing something just to get it done. Does anyone know of any ways that actually work to help focus on school work? My mind just wanders too much whenever I'm bothered by something which is mostly all the time now.

"Just open your eyes and see that life is beautiful..." ~Sixx:A.M.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
dancinfool Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Help Please - January 7th 2012, 01:45 AM

Hey,
It depends what you want to do with your life- if you want a career that requires good grades, then that should be useful motivation! With regards to actual study techniques, maybe try removing all other sources of entertainment- print work off so you don't have to use a computer and then work seperately away from the internet or any other distractions.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
TheCrowing Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Re: Help Please - January 7th 2012, 04:03 AM

The way you feel is totally understandable. I felt the same way until I was a junior in high school, then realized (like the above said) that if I wanted a well-paying career doing something I love, I'd have to work hard to bring myself back to my work. Honestly, from the way I look at it, either you try your hardest now and put the work into it, regardless of how you feel, or one day it's going to hit you and you have to put in 10x more work to make up for it.

You should try different things: Working alone, looking up material online, group studying.
I didn't figure out until my first semester of college that I work very well when I'm with a group of people.. Even if I'm the only one studying, I seem to get more done. You just have to try many things and figure out which works best for you. Don't look for what works 100% (unless it does), instead look for what works best.

"Although only breath, words which I command are immortal." Sappho

"Sometimes I feel nothing at all. Sometimes I feel everything is my fault.
Sometimes I feel the hate break my mind. Sometimes I feel they deserve it this time.
May the bridges I burn light my way." - I, Alone - Otep

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Chris Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Chris

Re: Help Please - January 7th 2012, 07:01 AM

Hey, I have been there done that. I recommend firstly getting organized. I would also plan ahead - and start setting deadlines (ex: I'll get my math done by 4:00 and then take a 20 minute break and get my English done by 5:30). Set your space - get a good workspace going (which is also being organized). And most importantly get focused: No TV, internet (and if you need internet for school do that work LAST), no radio - just you in silence with your book, worksheet, or anything else you need. Give yourself rewards after you do a assignment. (20 minutes of TV or relax time).

I hope this helped!

Best wishes,
Chris

Chris
I hope you know that you deserve it all. The best, the most honest, the most beautiful purest love in the world. Not only to be loved by others, but to be loved by yourself. To look in the mirror and think "Yes, I'm exactly who I want to be". To speak up and be proud of yourself. To be brave and open. You deserve the nicest and most caring people to walk into your life. You deserve it all, you know. The whole world...

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Tigereyes Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Help Please - January 14th 2012, 11:16 PM

Thank you, that really helped a lot. I really need the good grades even though I don't really know what I want to do with my life yet. I really appreciate it.

"Just open your eyes and see that life is beautiful..." ~Sixx:A.M.

Closed Thread