TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Wildflower ♥ Offline
Soakin' up the way of life
I've been here a while

Name: A Team

What the heck am I doing with my life - January 12th 2012, 04:10 AM

I'm right now at community college, beginning my 4th semester a week from Monday. I should be transferring and starting at a new college as a junior this coming fall, but I messed up a class my first semester there, so I am taking at least one more semester. The thing is, I have clue what I want to do. I am so depressed, that I don't want to do anything, but that isn't an option. I can't take a semester off, because I know I wouldn't end up working, but sitting around at home, just doing nothing. Originally I wanted to be an engineer, but now I am not so sure, but no matter how much I try to tell my parents no, they keep taking me back to engineering. I took an architecture class and absolutely loved it, except right now the job with the highest employment rate is architects because of this crappy economy. I also took a computer programming class, and I enjoyed it, but not as much as the architecture class. The thing is though, college students, coming out of college, and have majored in computer science are getting jobs, making software and cyber security. But my parents won't let me let go of the engineering. I mean, I love figuring out how things work, give me a box of legos and I'm set for hours, I can build houses, I've built my family's grill that works, but I am just not sure. What the heck am I doing with my life?

Also, I have no idea how to start the transfer process. Like I have 3 choices and I've gone to the school websites but I'm just so confused. I've never done this before and my parents really are not that helpful. If anyone could help me, I would really appreciate it.

Send a message via AIM to Wildflower ♥ Send a message via MSN to Wildflower ♥ Send a message via Skype™ to Wildflower ♥ 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
TheCrowing Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Re: What the heck am I doing with my life - January 12th 2012, 04:26 AM

Heyy

So you like architecture, and your parents lead you back to engineering each time.. I know that it's not the same as architecture, but have you looked into civil engineering? I mean, you get that hands on/building aspect while still maintaining an engineering background that will give you the heads up in the job market. Even as a Civil you can take classes in architecture, or computer programming. I know that in my university, all majors have to take at least one or two computer science classes, regardless of your major. There are a lot of opportunities out there for you if you know where to look.

"Although only breath, words which I command are immortal." Sappho

"Sometimes I feel nothing at all. Sometimes I feel everything is my fault.
Sometimes I feel the hate break my mind. Sometimes I feel they deserve it this time.
May the bridges I burn light my way." - I, Alone - Otep

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Wildflower ♥ Offline
I've been here a while

Re: What the heck am I doing with my life - January 12th 2012, 05:07 AM

What I really wanna do with engineering is make toys for kids, I forgot to put that in my original post. But a toy maker doesn't make a great salary either

I love little kids, and I love building, so it's a way to tie in both, but the salary isn't great at ALL

Send a message via AIM to Wildflower ♥ Send a message via MSN to Wildflower ♥ Send a message via Skype™ to Wildflower ♥ 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
ff.picc Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Picc

Re: What the heck am I doing with my life - January 12th 2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superamali627 View Post
What I really wanna do with engineering is make toys for kids, I forgot to put that in my original post. But a toy maker doesn't make a great salary either

I love little kids, and I love building, so it's a way to tie in both, but the salary isn't great at ALL
Honestly, how much do they make? Is it above the national poverty level? What about the cost of living? I know for me personally, I'm going to school (finishing school) To do what I want, I know that I won't make a great amount of money, but I do know I will make it work, because I love this and I won't trade it for the world.

Please feel free to contact me by Private Message

(#5 (permalink)) Old
TheCrowing Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: What the heck am I doing with my life - January 12th 2012, 11:55 PM

Exactly. ^^^^
If you love it, don't sell yourself short. You have to like what you're doing, otherwise you're going to be miserable.

Sometimes I feel the hate break my mind. Sometimes I feel they deserve it this time.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Wildflower ♥ Offline
I've been here a while

Re: What the heck am I doing with my life - January 14th 2012, 02:28 AM

But see, whats the point in majoring in it if I'm not going to get a job?

(#7 (permalink)) Old
TheCrowing Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: What the heck am I doing with my life - January 14th 2012, 03:15 PM

That's your decision though. A lot of my friends are art or teaching majors, and where I'm at, those two have the worst placement. But they love it, they do it. There are jobs, you just have to be good at what you do and find one. Make your own.

Closed Thread