TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

Jeez, get a life!

Informative Speech Topic - January 18th 2012, 10:32 PM

Informative Speech: Provides new information, new insights, or new ways of thinking about a topic.

So, I would like to write a speech on the following topics but they have to have new information, not the general inforamtion:
  • Eating Disorder -- For this I was thinking about writing about how eating disorders do not discriminate, different types of treatment for eating disorders, writing about the fact that guys suffer from eating disorders as well.
However, we can only use the library database at our school so I am unsure if I will be able to find information about one of these subjects. This is where you guys come in.

1) If you can come up with any other topics in regards to eating disorders that I could write about please make the suggestion.

2) What are some other topics that I could write about?

I am also going to discuss this with my therapist this friday seeing as she would probably be able to give me some advice as well, in regards to the eating disorder.

Anyway, thank you in advance.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Starburst. Offline
Skittles Minion.

I can't get enough

Name: Sammi

Re: Informative Speech Topic - January 18th 2012, 11:55 PM

Honestly, that sounds like an awesome topic! Eating disorders have become linked to girls in so many ways. It's great that you want to point out the fact that guys suffer from them too. Talk to your librarian to see if there's anything in your library in regards to the topic. If you're talking about your school's Internet database, you should be fine. I'll let you know if I come up with any other topics though.

HelpLINK Mentor|Social Networking Team|Articles Team
Skittlify

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Informative Speech Topic - January 21st 2012, 05:52 AM

What materials are you able to access through your library database? Is it simply books or can you also access online research articles and journals? If so, I can help you out a lot, otherwise, it's harder because I have to find which articles are full-access on Google.

Two years ago I did a course where I composed a research presentation with 3 other classmates discussing the neuroendocrinology of anorexia, potential treatments and how it can affect everyone. I can give you some research articles I used but not the PowerPoint presentation. I you want to know more of this, I'll gladly elaborate.

You could also look up Prader-Willi Syndrome, diabetes insipidus (has nothing to do with insulin), ROHHAD Syndrome, and binge eating disorder as these all relate with eating disorders.

In university, I study mostly in physiology, neuro&electrophysiology, neuroscience, infectious diseases, cancer, etc..., so I can list a plethora of topics but I'm not sure whether you would be interested in them or understand them. Some of the research presentations I've done involved a chemical called rapamycin as it can treat various cancers, neurological diseases, brain injury and has some anti-aging properties. Simpler vague topics that I know good books of and that I find interesting:

- psychopathic personality disorder. For this, I recommend reading Without Conscience: The Disturbing World of Psychopaths Among Us by Dr. Robert Hare in 1993. It's geared toward the layperson so there's no biology or any difficult concepts.
- Lesch-Nyhan Syndrome induced by the neurotoxin oxidopamine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lesch%E...Nyhan_syndrome
- Artificial intelligence. For this, I recommend reading Chapters 9 (and only parts of Chapter 10) of The Emperor's New Mind: Concerning Computers, Minds, and the Laws of Physics by Roger Penrose.
- History and brief biological basis of uncommon weird genetic disorders. For this, I recommend Mutants: On Genetic Variety and the Human Body by Armand Marie Leroi. It's an amazing book, short sweet and simple.

Other topics I'm interested in and have/am doing research on are based on textbooks or research articles but I'm not sure how well that can help for a speech. Again though, if you have access to online research articles, then I can help you a lot more.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Closed Thread