TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LostTeen011 Offline
Blah :P
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Noelle

Question Anybody pursuing or pursed a long education? - January 21st 2012, 12:52 AM

After finally talking to some school advisors about becoming an oncology researcher I learned that it will take a LONG time to do that. My options are getting my associate's degree in Science at my community college, then transferring to a four year university to get my bachelor's in Chemistry and go to medical school OR get my bachelor's degree in Chemistry, then my Master's degree, then get a Ph.D. which both would take AT LEAST 10 YEARS OR POSSIBLY MORE! That's seems like half of my life wasted in school lol! Is there anybody on here who attended school for a long time or plans to?

Pure Imagination

"Music is the universal language that connects the world as one" -LostTeen011

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Choose Offline
Invest in yourself.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Anybody pursuing or pursed a long education? - January 21st 2012, 02:09 AM

Well, first I would like to say GOOD LUCK.

Now, I can only think of a couple people that may be in the same situation as you on the site, but it will be a long and treacherous journey. Something to keep in mind is that unless you are super duper motivated to become an oncology researcher, you may wind up changing your career path. You may stick with everything except maybe you change the specific field of study as your interests change through the years and daily experiences in the lab, maybe different classes that you take on the road to med school.

Whatever your goals, stick to them. I wish you the best of luck.

"Ignore the ramblings of the ignorant, and step on or over their crumpled bodies as you make your way to the top of the mountain. Eat upon their flesh for fuel, and, through your determination and will, banish them to obscurity and a life of complacency and self righteousness that is the hell in which they live"

-Richard Safreed

"Civilize the mind, but make savage the body."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Re: Anybody pursuing or pursed a long education? - January 21st 2012, 03:02 AM

I'll be attending school for 6 years, plus internship. Not quite as long as you though Why do you have to get your bachelors THEN your masters? I'm just going straight for my masters, in a 6 year masters program. I can tell you though, that your regular 4 year college won't take 4 years, because you'll already have a bunch of credits knocked out of the way from community college. So it might not quite take 10 years, but maybe damn close.

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
TheCrowing Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Re: Anybody pursuing or pursed a long education? - January 21st 2012, 03:55 AM

^^^ Not every school openly offers a master's program.

I'm going for electrical engineering.. which I'm hoping will only take me 4 years, but most students at my university take 5 or 6 to get their B.S. I'm also taking a class or two each summer. And then I'd go for my masters, which would be another year or two depending on what I intend to do. And then even when I get into my career, there's still schooling that has to be done. I'm looking at at least 7 years of constant education.

Not as long as yours, but it's up there.

"Although only breath, words which I command are immortal." Sappho

"Sometimes I feel nothing at all. Sometimes I feel everything is my fault.
Sometimes I feel the hate break my mind. Sometimes I feel they deserve it this time.
May the bridges I burn light my way." - I, Alone - Otep

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Anybody pursuing or pursed a long education? - January 21st 2012, 04:20 AM

I'm also in the long haul education for a variety of fields, one of which is cancer research. I'll get my Honours Bachelor of Science (HBSc) by the end of this semester and hopefully I'll be accepted into Masters programs. I already have graduate supervisors, some of whom are medical doctors in oncology and other areas, who have agreed to take me if I get accepted.

As a forewarning, you will need a very strong biology background. Chemistry will certainly help, particularly if you want to get in the field of pharmaceutical research for oncology but if you're planning to take a Bachelor's degree in chemistry with little biology, it will work against you. For example, I'm currently doing 2 undergraduate fourth-year courses in biomedical research, one of which is at the molecular-cellular level whereas the other is more integrative. Chemistry helps but if you don't take much biology courses, there's no hope. Try contacting some graduate faculty members (i.e. researchers) and ask what the average background is of their graduate students. You can find this by going onto a university's website, navigate to the masters/graduate program then find the appropriate field or department.

Going to a community college will cut down the time you'll need to complete your Bachelor's degree because many of the course would be recognized. However, if your marks are high enough, you can skip the Masters program by composing a "mini-Masters thesis", which if good enough, will allow you to go straight from a Bachelors to a PhD. I don't know anyone personally who has done this but it certainly is possible.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#6 (permalink)) Old
LostTeen011 Offline
Blah :P
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Noelle

Re: Anybody pursuing or pursed a long education? - January 21st 2012, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinosaur Trainer View Post
Well, first I would like to say GOOD LUCK.

Now, I can only think of a couple people that may be in the same situation as you on the site, but it will be a long and treacherous journey. Something to keep in mind is that unless you are super duper motivated to become an oncology researcher, you may wind up changing your career path. You may stick with everything except maybe you change the specific field of study as your interests change through the years and daily experiences in the lab, maybe different classes that you take on the road to med school.

Whatever your goals, stick to them. I wish you the best of luck.
Thanks old chap! My both my advisors and mother pretty much told me the same thing you said, and you're right! Who knows if I'll take differents interest, but as of right now I can't really see myself doing anything except work in oncology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBabyEater View Post
I'll be attending school for 6 years, plus internship. Not quite as long as you though Why do you have to get your bachelors THEN your masters? I'm just going straight for my masters, in a 6 year masters program. I can tell you though, that your regular 4 year college won't take 4 years, because you'll already have a bunch of credits knocked out of the way from community college. So it might not quite take 10 years, but maybe damn close.
Yes, I know once I transfer to a university I'll be arriving as a college junior (where I'm from we just try to be proper and say 4 year university), and I'm not exactly sure why I would have to get my bachelors, then masters, but it was a recommendation by one of the advisors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man And XX Master View Post
I'm also in the long haul education for a variety of fields, one of which is cancer research. I'll get my Honours Bachelor of Science (HBSc) by the end of this semester and hopefully I'll be accepted into Masters programs. I already have graduate supervisors, some of whom are medical doctors in oncology and other areas, who have agreed to take me if I get accepted.

As a forewarning, you will need a very strong biology background. Chemistry will certainly help, particularly if you want to get in the field of pharmaceutical research for oncology but if you're planning to take a Bachelor's degree in chemistry with little biology, it will work against you. For example, I'm currently doing 2 undergraduate fourth-year courses in biomedical research, one of which is at the molecular-cellular level whereas the other is more integrative. Chemistry helps but if you don't take much biology courses, there's no hope. Try contacting some graduate faculty members (i.e. researchers) and ask what the average background is of their graduate students. You can find this by going onto a university's website, navigate to the masters/graduate program then find the appropriate field or department.

Going to a community college will cut down the time you'll need to complete your Bachelor's degree because many of the course would be recognized. However, if your marks are high enough, you can skip the Masters program by composing a "mini-Masters thesis", which if good enough, will allow you to go straight from a Bachelors to a PhD. I don't know anyone personally who has done this but it certainly is possible.
Thanks for the information, it was very helpful! Just out of curiosity, what type of employment are you interested in doing with your degree?

Pure Imagination

"Music is the universal language that connects the world as one" -LostTeen011

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Anybody pursuing or pursed a long education? - January 21st 2012, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostTeen011 View Post
Thanks for the information, it was very helpful! Just out of curiosity, what type of employment are you interested in doing with your degree?
Right now it's undecided because I want to work in the clinical field alongside medical doctors although I still want to continue doing research at the same time. It'd be something in biology, either at a molecular medical level, neuroscience/neurophysiology (i.e. treating and researching neurodegenerative diseases, strokes, seizure disorders and physical damage), neuroendocrine or cardiovascular.

There's also a chance I would work once I get my Masters and instead of going for a PhD, I'd go for a MD since it's generally easier to get into medical school with a Masters.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#8 (permalink)) Old
ertyuio Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Anybody pursuing or pursed a long education? - January 23rd 2012, 01:36 AM

I'm not going into medicine or an intensive biological field like oncology, but I will be pursuing a PhD in physics (and later one in mathematics), so I suspect that after high school, I will be spending 4 years getting my BS and anywhere from 3 to 5 years getting my PhD afterward. It will certainly not be an easy path. =|

(#9 (permalink)) Old
aloharocker Offline
writer
Average Joe

Name: Steffani

Re: Anybody pursuing or pursed a long education? - January 23rd 2012, 02:31 AM

I just finished my BA ( in 3.5 years with the help of high school credits), I'm applying to grad schools so I can get my MFA (another 2-4 years) and then I might be going to law school.

If you need someone to talk to, my PM box is always open.

I've been a member of TeenHelp on and off since I was 16.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
LimLight Offline
Average Joe

Re: Anybody pursuing or pursed a long education? - January 23rd 2012, 03:55 AM

I'm applying to do my Masters right now. Ideally, I'll be doing that for 2 year, and will then apply for PhD programs. So, including my undergrad, that's around 10+ years of universtiy hahaha. I'm crazy.

Closed Thread