TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Should I Drop This? - January 21st 2012, 06:08 AM

So, I'm taking anatomy this year. It's not a required course. I just needed something to fill a hole in my schedule. But, my teacher is completely incompetent. I could go on a long rant, but I'll just say that someone should not be allowed to teach a subject that they can't even understand themselves. I'm so frustrated and I'm really tempted to drop her class at the semester. But, I'm a senior in high school? Will it look bad to colleges if I do?? Oh, and there's absolutely no way for me to switch to a new teacher without switching my whole schedule around . . which isn't going to work because a lot of my classes are period specific.

I don't even know what to do anymore.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Should I Drop This? - January 21st 2012, 08:47 PM

Colleges typically don't care if you switch classes in high school, especially when the class was there just to fill a gap. If you think that this class isn't worth the trouble or may influence your GPA, I would drop it. Just take up being a teacher's assistant or something fun. You need to enjoy your last semester in high school

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline

Outside, huh?

Re: Should I Drop This? - January 21st 2012, 09:20 PM

That's what I was thinking of doing. My counselor said the schools I applied to may want to know why I chose to drop it. Should I mention that it had a lot to do with the crummy teacher or should I come up with something else?

wanderlust consumed her;
she had a gypsy soul
-d. marie

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Should I Drop This? - January 21st 2012, 11:49 PM

Well what do you plan on majoring in? I doubt the colleges would ask, but you can always say you either found a more interesting course or there was no actual point in taking it (like if it doesn't relate to your major). Or yes, you can explain that the teacher wasn't very good & that there was no way to switch into another class.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Steph

Re: Should I Drop This? - January 22nd 2012, 12:03 AM

If colleges question it, which they usually don't, you could simply tell them that you decided it was more beneficial to your high school career to focus on classes that you were interested in and could help you decided on a future major. Better to avoid mentioning that it was because of a teacher.
  Send a message via MSN to Pandamonium  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
TheCrowing Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Re: Should I Drop This? - January 22nd 2012, 05:30 AM

Some high schools show the dropped class as a WN.. or withdrawal with no credit. You really should look into it because if it shows up as a withdrawal with no credit, it may go up against you. Colleges would then definitely see it, and wonder why you dropped it. You could always say that it was just to fill a spot, but if you think about it, that could then pose a few more questions and you could just be digging yourself a ditch.

I don't mean to be so upfront about it, but you have to look at both sides. Honestly, you should talk to your adviser and see what will be best for you specifically.

"Although only breath, words which I command are immortal." Sappho

"Sometimes I feel nothing at all. Sometimes I feel everything is my fault.
Sometimes I feel the hate break my mind. Sometimes I feel they deserve it this time.
May the bridges I burn light my way." - I, Alone - Otep

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline

Outside, huh?

Re: Should I Drop This? - January 22nd 2012, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrowing View Post
I don't mean to be so upfront about it, but you have to look at both sides. Honestly, you should talk to your adviser and see what will be best for you specifically.
Don't apologize for being upfront about it! I honestly appreciate your advice. I'm definitely trying to look at it from both sides. I was leaning towards dropping it, but now I'm not so sure. I got my 3rd college acceptance today and I know I'll have to notify those schools that I dropped it. I don't want to give them any reason to take a second look at my acceptance, ya know? I think I'm going to go talk to my counselor again on Monday.

wanderlust consumed her;
she had a gypsy soul
-d. marie

(#8 (permalink)) Old
esfdhtfy Offline
Dream Big
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Joseph S.

Re: Should I Drop This? - January 24th 2012, 12:59 AM

If you were to drop this course, would you have enough credits to graduate?

If the answer is 'yes', I would most certainly drop the course. I had only two courses (full course load was four) in my second semester of my senior year and I was offered a full ride to a prestigious university. I had a full course load in first semester, though.

If you're still worried, call the college/university that you plan to attend and see if they'd frown upon it. Though, I really don't think that dropping a course will reflect negatively on you.

Good luck.

SUP BRO.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Should I Drop This? - January 24th 2012, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iris. ♥ View Post
That's what I was thinking of doing. My counselor said the schools I applied to may want to know why I chose to drop it. Should I mention that it had a lot to do with the crummy teacher or should I come up with something else?
If they ask why you dropped the course, do NOT say it was only because of a crummy teacher as it makes you seem like a whiner. Instead, state you realized the course was not for you despite what you previously thought and you were not receiving the learning experience you anticipated when you enrolled. This basically means the same and you can also mention you lost interest (if that's true) and were worried your marks may suffer (if they haven't already).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iris. ♥ View Post

Don't apologize for being upfront about it! I honestly appreciate your advice. I'm definitely trying to look at it from both sides. I was leaning towards dropping it, but now I'm not so sure. I got my 3rd college acceptance today and I know I'll have to notify those schools that I dropped it. I don't want to give them any reason to take a second look at my acceptance, ya know? I think I'm going to go talk to my counselor again on Monday.
It may give them a reason to re-visit your application depending if the program you were applying to required any biology course. If you are applying for a biology program and they ask why you dropped it, you're in a tough bind. If you are not applying for a biology program or any science-related program, then dropping the course would have less of an impact. You also need to consider whether you have enough courses in order to graduate, otherwise, try to switch to a new course or stick through the current course.

The only reason you should talk to your school counselor in this case, is to get the contact information for the university's admission office, although you can easily get it online yourself. Your counselor cannot reliably answer your question as they are not affiliated with the university. Instead, contact the admissions officer and they can answer your question reliably.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline

Outside, huh?

Re: Should I Drop This? - January 24th 2012, 02:25 AM

Alright, sounds good! Thanks guys. I know I'd have enough credits to graduate, so I'm probably going to see about dropping the class. Again, thanks for the advice.

wanderlust consumed her;
she had a gypsy soul
-d. marie

Closed Thread