TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
blumemusik♫ Offline
~Savvy?
I've been here a while

Name: Kate

My CV - January 21st 2012, 07:32 PM

Help

Okay, so this is what I have (the starred-out bits are personal details):

Kate ******

* ******** *****, ******, **********, *** *** (<---- Address)

Mobile: *********** kate_haines@ymail.com

Personal Profile
I am a motivated and mature individual who is polite and friendly. I enjoy meeting new people and can relate well on all levels. I am a fast learner, and always willing to develop my skills and ability at different tasks. I am honest, reliable, punctual, and always complete all jobs to the best of my ability.

Key Skills
• Organised
• Punctual
• Good team worker
• Good leadership skills
• Flexible
• Attentive to detail

Education
***** High School (2007 – present)
Predicted As and A*s in all subjects taken at GCSE level, with three grades already achieved:
A* in Maths GCSE
A and A* in Information Technology

Work Experience
****** and Liverpool schools (December 2011)
I spent time teaching small groups of primary school- and secondary school-aged children stringed instruments. I developed my leadership skills, as I was often left in charge of small groups and individuals. Other duties involved planning and delivering various lessons.

Babysitting (2011 – present)
I have looked after my two younger brothers and the children of family friends on several occasions, which has taught me how to adapt to different situations.

Volunteer Work
****** Schools Junior String Orchestra (2011 – present)
I volunteer on a Friday after school at ******* Primary School, mentoring young string players in their orchestra, and helping them prepare towards concerts once per term.

Brownies, ****** (January 2011 – present)
I have spent the past year volunteering once a week at a local Brownies group, occasionally being in charge of the children, and being involved in the planning of future meetings.

TeenHelp Inc. (2011 – present)
I volunteer as a ‘staff member’ for this worldwide not-for-profit organisation, where I talk to teenagers with various problems and try to offer them help and advice in different situations. This has taught me to be sensitive to different people and also to solve problems quickly and think on my feet.

Hobbies and Interests
****** Schools Orchestras (2010 – present)
I am the leader of the ****** Schools String Orchestra and ****** Schools Symphony Orchestra, who meet once a week to rehearse, and perform concerts once per term.

Duke of Edinburgh (2010 – present)
I am currently working towards my bronze Duke of Edinburgh award, and have taken part in two related expeditions as part of a small team, leading at times. This has also required a lot of preparation and organisation in arranging different aspects of the award.

****** Youth Theatre (2009 – 2011)
During this time I took part in five productions, one of which I starred in. For the last production I participated in, I was in control of sound and helped with lighting.

References
References are available willingly on request.

SO is it okay? :') I'm not sure what it's supposed to be like, but I was following the template I was given by school. ALSO, where would I include why I want the job? (I need to raise money for a trip to Malawi next summer where I will be doing charity work.)

The jobs I will be applying for are part-time jobs, either in a shop or a restaurant.

Alsoalsoalso, would putting TH in it affect me negatively in any way?

I know I'm asking a lot haha, but any help/advice you have would be fabtastic x

Last edited by blumemusik♫; January 22nd 2012 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Forgot to star out my address :')

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Prof.Engrish Offline
愛してる
Senior TeenHelper

Re: My CV - January 22nd 2012, 04:55 PM

Your Resume looks good!

About your question, often times saying why you want a job/college may not be such a good idea. Some companies like to hold that as a question for the interview. For company that would like to ask that; they ask for a "Cover Letter" which is basically a full fledged paper about why you want a job!

And like others have said, putting Teen Help won't negatively affect your chances at a job/college career. I have put them on the past two successful job applications.

--Good Luck

"This is 10% Luck, 20% Skill, 15% Concentrated Power of Will, 5% Pleasure, 15% Pain; And a 100% reason to remember the name!"
Buddy/Live Help Operator/Technology and Gaming & Current Event and Debates Forum Moderator
PM/VM
  Send a message via AIM to Prof.Engrish  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
L'espoir Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jen

Re: My CV - January 22nd 2012, 06:40 PM

Hi

That sounds okay to me, you've got all the details in there. Like Rise said, when you apply for a job you should put a "covering letter" which just says why you want the job. The only thing I would suggest is that you list which subjects you will be taking for your GCSEs so they know how many you will be doing and what they are. As for the teenhelp aspect of it, I think thats personal. It shouldnt affect you negatively, but some people dont want to share as they have personal things on here.

Hope this helps and good luck in your job search!

PM // VM

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: My CV - January 22nd 2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asthenophobia. View Post

SO is it okay? :') I'm not sure what it's supposed to be like, but I was following the template I was given by school. ALSO, where would I include why I want the job? (I need to raise money for a trip to Malawi next summer where I will be doing charity work.)

The jobs I will be applying for are part-time jobs, either in a shop or a restaurant.

Alsoalsoalso, would putting TH in it affect me negatively in any way?

I know I'm asking a lot haha, but any help/advice you have would be fabtastic x
I formulated my criticisms of your CV based on my CV, which is a bit different as it is for my Masters degree and is roughly 4.5 pages and includes several sections that don't apply for you.

Your CV overall looks quite good, although I'd recommend a few editions. First, list your references, otherwise to me the CV looks incomplete. Second, I would edit the the description you provided of baby-sitting because it does not look impressive when you include your siblings. Third, for the Liverpool School description, briefly list some of the lessons. Fourth, include any additional academic information if there is anything else, such as any school-related awards, whether from high marks to theatre productions. Going with the same idea, list the courses you are currently taking because it may show your academic interest (I'm not sure how many of your courses you can choose because I'm from a different education system).

The only areas that should be redone are your personal profile and key skills. In your profile, you gave a very good description of yourself, such as being a fast learner but these belong in the key skills area. You shouldn't add the descriptions from the personal profile into the key skills because it will become too long, so you need to summarize it more efficiently. Your personal profile is where you include why you want the job (i.e. raise money for the Malawi trip), brief overview of yourself, such as the year/grade you're in and mentioning personality traits, such as very altruistic since all the work and volunteer experience were benefiting others.

Including TH would probably benefit your CV because the interviewer may ask questions of how you would solve a certain problem and you can provide examples from TH.

You would need to create a cover letter for your job application as well. The purpose of the cover letter is to describe in detail why you want the job, what you bring to the table and what makes you stand out as a good candidate.

I've worked in a few restaurants, mostly as a cook although I had experience as a waiter, moved up in the ranks a bit and helped in deciding who was to be employed, so I'll offer some first-hand advice. Arrive early, not on time because that is the best example of being punctual. Since you're applying for a waitress position, ensure you look amazing because part of the job of waiters and waitresses is to advertise the restaurant as very appealing. Do not wear strong perfumes and do not put too much make-up on, trust me, you'll be moving around a lot and the last thing you want is for your eyeliner to smear. Dress casually and ensure you're covered up, don't wear clothes that are too revealing or high-heels. If you have long hair, you'll be told to tie it back so do that in advance. You also need a fairly good memory to recall which customer ordered a particular meal, the layout of the restaurant (i.e. location of table 9 vs table 2) and the menu. When I helped in the decision process, waiters and waitresses had to be able to describe the food, which is very easy if it's something like McDonald's but much harder if it's not a fast-food place.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
blumemusik♫ Offline
~Savvy?
I've been here a while

Name: Kate

Re: My CV - January 22nd 2012, 08:13 PM

Thanks everyone, for all your advice!! I'll look over it again and change what you suggested. Thank you

Closed Thread