TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Education and Careers (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/)
-   -   Choice of college or sixth form? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/t93388-choice-college-sixth-form/)

Hope_For_The_Best January 22nd 2012 08:56 PM

Choice of college or sixth form?

Okay, so near enough next year, I was hoping to go to college to study my A-levels. This was instead of going into Sixth Form, this is because I have a strong hate towards my current school. Therefore, I wish to have a new start at college.

Additionally, there are more positive apsects towards going to college, for example, they let you study at your own pace, unlike this sixth form, meet new people, access to lots more facilities and more help/support from the teachers.
However, there are some negative aspects as well, such as, it would take around 40 minutes to get there by bus, meaning getting up earlier to catch it, having teachers that don't really know me well as well as those in school and/or it could turn out worse that it was at school.

The problem with this is that my parents don't agree with me going to college, mostly because of more travelling, meaning I will be more tired. Therefore, I have arguments with them regularly about going to college, even though it should be my choice. Furthermore, my dad expects really high expectations of me, whatever place I study at, for example, he expects me to get really high GCSE results.

I can't take all this pressure with results and not knowing which place to study my A-levels at, although I really wish to go to college. Any advice at all?

ilovecountrymusic January 31st 2012 11:53 AM

Re: Choice of college or sixth form?

Looking at the fact that at college you can study at your own pace, that alone would get me to go. I'm assuming you're in the Uk or somewhere other then the US. I'm not familiar with other school systems other then here but just on that 1 fact alone college seems like a good choice.

L'espoir January 31st 2012 09:56 PM

Re: Choice of college or sixth form?

Hi :)

I think that if you want to go to a college instead go for it. I didnt go to a sixth form school but I am completely glad I go to a college not a sixth form. College is a lot more relaxed and in my opinion its less stressful. If you go to 6th form, they usually give you a uniform, wont let you leave in free periods and are stricter about rules and exam results. My friend was told he wouldnt be able to stay for his second year at sixth form if he didnt get a B. I think though my main reason for supporting college over school is that I think it is a bit of a stepping stone towards either uni or full time work.... If you stay at school it will be quite a big shock when you move on and have to take responsibility for everything without someone forcing you to do it. At college, if you dont do the work, then you dont do it.. and you wont do so well in your exams............. it is like this after college/sixth form too.

I hope this makes some sort of sense anyway (its late :p) and I hope it helps you out a bit!