TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

How to quit my job? - February 3rd 2012, 04:43 PM

My job is terrible right now.

-We're being paid under minimum wage.
-They keep holding a raise over my head, but never give it to me.
-They put people on Check stand number one as a punishment.
-Everything that happens is my fault.
-I don't have a consistent schedule.
-The people who work there purposely make me miserable.
-My anxiety is getting worse and worse the longer I'm there.

So. That all said, I read in the paper that a restaurant is looking for a fully time prep cook monday through friday. Consistent schedule. New people. I've worked in that atmosphere before etc.

The problem:
If I get chosen to work there, they desperately need someone this Monday! Which is great. And if they offer me the job, I really want to take it. But this means I can't give the place I work now a typical two week notice. So, what should I do? What should I say to the place I work now if I have to quit this monday. The problem is, the schedule has been made all the way up until next Saturday.

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Tyr. Offline
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Re: How to quit my job? - February 4th 2012, 03:21 AM

What does it say in your contract?

Unless there are specific ramifications for not giving two weeks notice, then wait till you receive your next paycheck then tell your boss to go get fucked, and walk out.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
L'espoir Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jen

Re: How to quit my job? - February 4th 2012, 05:56 PM

Hi,

I think you definitely need to talk to your boss as soon as possible. Im not too sure how it works in America but you should look at your contract..... The only thing I would think about is whether or not you will need your current employer to give you a reference for this next job.

PM // VM

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Tyr. Offline
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Re: How to quit my job? - February 4th 2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'espoir View Post
Hi,
The only thing I would think about is whether or not you will need your current employer to give you a reference for this next job.
You are not obliged to obtain references from past employers.

There is nothing wrong with fronting up to your new employer and letting them know that your previous boss was an asshole who didn't appreciate you, and didn't pay you enough for the work you did. It shows you had the responsibility and personal courage to stand up for yourself and not allow yourself to be manipulated.

I still stand by my original statement. If he is paying you less than the legal minimum wage, consider your contract void, and get out of there.

- Yogi

(#5 (permalink)) Old
L'espoir Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jen

Re: How to quit my job? - February 4th 2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi View Post
You are not obliged to obtain references from past employers.

There is nothing wrong with fronting up to your new employer and letting them know that your previous boss was an asshole who didn't appreciate you, and didn't pay you enough for the work you did. It shows you had the responsibility and personal courage to stand up for yourself and not allow yourself to be manipulated.

I still stand by my original statement. If he is paying you less than the legal minimum wage, consider your contract void, and get out of there.

- Yogi
You dont need references in America? I dont know, in England you usually give a reference from your last employer, so my thought was just that if you dont get one you might be asked about it. I think that you need to be careful what you say to a potential employee because despite the fact that your boss may be an "asshole".... slating previous employers to this one doesnt make you come off in a good light. Thats just my opinion anyway...

PM // VM

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: How to quit my job? - February 4th 2012, 11:14 PM

I would suggest that you talk to your boss as soon as possible. Take a look at your contract and make sure there are no ramifications for quitting without giving a 2 week notice. If there are, then talk to the boss at the restaurant and let him know your situation to see if the two of you can come up with a compromise. If there aren't any ramifications, then peace out as soon as possible and enjoy your new job.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: How to quit my job? - February 9th 2012, 01:43 PM

1) Wait until you're hired for the new job before saying *anything* to your current employer. Otherwise, you could conceivably get canned and not get the new position...not fun.
2) Give notice to your current employer, one or two weeks as required.
3) Find people to cover your shifts/call in sick for shifts you can't get covered. At this point you should be focusing on making a good impression at your new job, probably at the expense of the old one (sounds like they deserve it...)
4) ????
5) Profit

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: How to quit my job? - February 9th 2012, 05:24 PM

Thanks for all the replies!

I've got to update you all.
So, I've landed two new jobs. I got the job at the local coffee shop, and the job I mentioned on here. So, juggling three jobs would probably burn me out. So I've decided to stop working at the grocery store. I'll be making the same amount of money, but I'll be treated a lot better. I don't need the IGA as a reference for these two jobs, because everyone already knows me and the person I am (It's a small town). I'm supposed to work at the job I'm quitting at today, but Ive decided not to show up. They really don't deserve to get a two weeks notice. I know what I'm doing is irresponsible, but I just need to be out of that place.

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: How to quit my job? - February 9th 2012, 11:29 PM

Congratulations on getting two new jobs. I hope your new employers treat you better than your old one did.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

Closed Thread