TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

How to gain public speaking skills? - February 8th 2012, 08:32 PM

I'm competing in Skills USA on March 30th in IT. I was talking to two of the other IT seniors who have competed in the past (one is competing again) and they said I need good public speaking skills. This is a problem for I have none. What are some good ways to gain public speaking skills?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Dedalus Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Joe

Re: How to gain public speaking skills? - February 8th 2012, 10:26 PM

Well, I've done quite a bit of public speaking - I've been giving lecture to undergraduates here at university. Before this it was all rather limited.

I'm afraid that I found there's no quick and easy way to it. Its simply a case of building up experience of it. You get better as you go along.

My advice for this would be to write out in full what you will be saying. Its easier if you get nervous to have a full script in front of you - I'm not sure if you'll be able to do this at your event, but if you can do it. Then read over it well and familiarise yourself with it, so that if nerves get you you won't get lost in reading it.

That will make it easier, but in short there is no quick fix to public speaking.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
TheCrowing Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Re: How to gain public speaking skills? - February 8th 2012, 11:44 PM

Honestly, you just have to do it. You can practice speaking in front of a mirror, then speak in front of a small group, then a larger group. It's just something that you have to actually do.

For example, my public speaking skills were terrible until my first class ever at my university required that we do a powerpoint presentation every week about the lab we did two days prior. There were only 30 other people in my class, but I gained a lot of confidence speaking in front of people. Then I had to make a presentation in front of a lecture class that had between 200-300 students. You just have to take a deep breath, and let people see your confidence in your work.

"Although only breath, words which I command are immortal." Sappho

"Sometimes I feel nothing at all. Sometimes I feel everything is my fault.
Sometimes I feel the hate break my mind. Sometimes I feel they deserve it this time.
May the bridges I burn light my way." - I, Alone - Otep

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: How to gain public speaking skills? - February 9th 2012, 02:21 AM

Well if there are any kinds of presentations in class, take advantage of those & use those as practice. Practice reading whatever it is you need to recite so that you have it in your mind enough to where you don't have to rely on notecards as much. Keep writing on notecards to a minimum. You can also practice in front of family or friends who will give you honest criticism. But don't take the criticism to heart, just remember that it is preparing you for the real thing.

Closed Thread