TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
George^^ Offline
Hi :D
Senior TeenHelper

Name: George

What's the difference between a public school and a boarding school? - March 2nd 2012, 08:36 PM

I'm wondering about that.
Public: You live with your family
Boarding: You live in Dorms.

Right now I'm in a public high school, but I really wish I could go to a boarding school. For various reasons... But I always feel like a trader for feeling like that. I mean, I'd be leaving my family, and I'm very family orientated. I feel horrible because I feel that it makes it seem like I don't love my family enough (I love them a lot) but I'm only in grade nine and I already feel like my school isn't fulfilling what I want in terms of learning. I don't know if it's hate for my school, or a genuine feeling that this isn't enough.

In things like opertunities, it isn't. I have plenty of opertunitites to do amazing things at my school, but that isn't stopping me in wanting more.

More learning, more arts, more everything.

I've said it once, I've said it twice, I've said it a thousand fucking times
That I'm OK, that I'm fine, that it's all just in my mind
But this has got the best of me, and I can't seem to sleep
It's not 'cause you're not with me, it's cause you never leave

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Re: What's the difference between a public school and a boarding school? - March 2nd 2012, 08:47 PM

George, the difference btw'n the two is: 1) where you live (Boarding=away, P.S.=home), and cost (Boarding =$$$, P.S.= Free/taxpayer supported). There are pros and cons of both, it might be best to make the choice (if that's an option to you) based on compromise: Which one would it be easier to add the factors that make it appealing? So, in your case, since you enjoy living at home with your family (and I assume, friends), and it's an academic issue, you don't feel challenged..what can you do to change that? Can you take different classes? Get involved in some outside activities that might enrich/stimulate you?

Sometimes it's easier to figure out what's missing and try to add it, rather than start from scratch and hope the results meet your needs. try to identify what's missing and then see if you can't creatively add it.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
George^^ Offline
Hi :D
Senior TeenHelper

Name: George

Re: What's the difference between a public school and a boarding school? - March 2nd 2012, 09:28 PM

Not superly, I really like living with my family, but I know I can do alright. I don't have the widest range in friends, most of them live in different places (I do alot of cross canada things)

I actually have no say in what I do in school yet. The most choice I had this year was "french or inuktituk", which is basically "Be a noob around people who know more or spend most of your time doing nothing"- And I'm even in the "smart" classes... I am actually in a lot, I have improv, YAC (Which we only meet up once or twice a year, and do community action projects- cross canada), and I can do those anywhere.

Thanks, chances are I'll stay here. Last time I wanted to go away for schooling, my mom was against it and wouldn't allow for home schooling. (which is still a heck of a lot better than my current school)

I've said it once, I've said it twice, I've said it a thousand fucking times
That I'm OK, that I'm fine, that it's all just in my mind
But this has got the best of me, and I can't seem to sleep
It's not 'cause you're not with me, it's cause you never leave

(#4 (permalink)) Old
raquel Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: What's the difference between a public school and a boarding school? - March 6th 2012, 05:00 AM

In public school, you get yo live with your parents and have friends more in the same neighborhood. While in boarding school, you stay at a dorm and be independent. You get to form friendships from other places. I personally would love to go to boarding school and learn to be independent. I don't think this means that you don't love your parents but just a next step for you to take.

For more information about Boarding Schools, visit this site.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Flavalicious Offline
100% Coffee addict
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Felis

Re: What's the difference between a public school and a boarding school? - March 7th 2012, 10:40 AM

First of all, I can say you'll get lots and lots of new experiences going to a boarding school. I went to an international boarding school when I was in my junior high school and moved back to public school when I returned to my home country. The differences that I noticed being in a boarding school it's not that they teach more advanced curriculum or more classes but it's the "daily living" experiences that you can't get from public school.

Depends on the boarding school you go, mine was an international one where I met other students from different countries and I remember I had Korean, Chinese, American, Thai, Australian, Taiwanese and Kazakhstan classmates and my room mates were Chinese girls. Seriously, in that kind of situation I was forced to adapt with their way of living as well and it's somehow amazing learning about different cultures. I learned to be independent as well living away from my parents, I went home like once a week during the weekend and went back to school on Sunday night until the next Saturday morning. And I learned to manage my time more well-organized like waking up in the morning as every bed room only have one bathroom and I need to share it with three other girls that means if I didn't want to wait for long and late for morning class, I need to wake up earlier than them to use the bathroom, especially when it's summer (I can't start my day without taking a shower seriously).

More plus points, when you want to study together with your friends or do other activities, you don't have to travel far and you can reach them anytime. Mostly it's like a world full of teenagers really. Everywhere you go you meet people your age or younger or several years older and the adults are just the teachers, so mostly it's like living with other teenagers, asking for help with teenagers as you won't have your parents or family members when you need immediate help. And also boarding school usually held lots of events after school for the students (my school did) and it involved like the whole high school, not only specific classes and it was the most fun thing ever to get involved in whether it was sports events, arts events, competitions, etc.

But as much as it's so fun living with people around your age, things can be really frustrating sometimes. You need to be aware that if you go to a boarding school that means you're living around people with various personalities and sometimes they can be really annoying. Other time you just loose your privacy as well as you're not alone in your bedroom. And I remember one of the girls in our dorm building was a kleptomaniac and really before her actions were found out, her room mates were frustrated as hell loosing their belongings. And other down side, if you're really a family oriented person it can be really hard for you. I ever had a friend as well who called her parents like everyday for at least half an hour at night just to tell them her life in a day.

So really these things that I wrote was just a little experiences that I had when I was in a boarding school and believe me, there were a lot more than that. I remember in 2002 there was a meteor shower at midnight and all of the students went out of the dorm to see it at the soccer field together with the teachers.. It was a memorable day really. I don't think you will experience events like at midnight with the whole school where you can see other students and your friends wearing pajamas if you go to public school

And don't worry about you loving your family less after you go to a boarding school. I went to a boarding school and I still love my family a lot and my parents know that. You just need to explain to them the reasons why you wish to go to a boarding school. I think if they understand all the positive things of life learning experiences, I don't see why they won't allow you to go. Good luck!

Love is but the discovery of ourselves in others, and the delight in the recognition. - Alexander Smith

Change and growth take place when a person has risked himself and dares to become involved with experimenting with his own life. - Herbert Otto

Closed Thread