TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
vrgtfvgt4vg Offline
Junior TeenHelper

What if I'm just kind of average? - March 8th 2012, 03:43 AM

I'm just kind of average at school or even a little below average. I hear about all these kids who take like all AP's and Honors. I know a kid in pre-calculus in ninth grade.

I'm in Geometry and I have B-. I'm working my butt off in that class. I failed a quiz because I confused the formulas. I spend hours every night before math class with my dad. He teaches me the math because I don't get it in class and then we do the homework together. He didn't help me with one assignment and that's the stuff the failed quiz was on.

I seriously can't do basic math even though I knew it at some point. I try to go on Khan Academy and watch basic arithmetic videos. That's like stuff I should've known when I was 10.

I'm failing English. I have kind of bad study skills and I lose everything even when I put it in my binder. I don't really understand a lot of stuff too. I just memorize it and then repeat it on the test. I don't even remember what we learn in class.

My grades are as follows.

Math: B-
Pe: A
History: A-
English: F
Band: A
Language: A-
Biology: B-

How do I measure up against the effortlessly awesome kids who get A's in pre-calc in ninth grade?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: What if I'm just kind of average? - March 8th 2012, 06:31 PM

I know it's hard when you're in class with people who seem to get things with no effort while you're working your butt off just to get by, but the important thing is not to compare yourself to them and focus on improving over yourself. You are about average except for failing English so work on improving that and don't worry about what everyone else is doing. Have you ever been evaluated for a learning disability? I'm not saying you have one, I'm just asking.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: What if I'm just kind of average? - March 8th 2012, 06:59 PM

Honestly, I think your grades are fine. I really don't see anything wrong with them, expect for the English grade. I've always done really well in English, but not so great in math. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses when it comes to academics.

The truth is that not everyone is going to be super genius and pass without making much effort. Some people have to try harder than others. But that's not always a bad thing. School teaches us that we often have to work hard for the things that we want. True, it's not fair that things come easier to certain people. But no one is perfect.

If you are really struggling in school, it might be worth it to talk to someone, like your school counselor, about what you can do to get some help. I know that at my school they offered tutoring after school at times, and I attended for math a couple of times. Getting a little bit of extra help might benefit you.

It would be a lie to say that everyone has to work as hard as you do. I know that there are a lot of people who seem to get by with little effort. But the effort you put into school now will pay off in the long run. Find something academic that you love doing. For some people it's English, for some it's math. Know what you are good at, and when you get down on yourself for not being in AP English or whatever, think of the skills you do have.

I hope you're able to get the help you need and that everything improves for you soon. Good luck

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: What if I'm just kind of average? - March 9th 2012, 05:35 AM

This isn't an answer you're looking for but I was in advanced math classes, one to two grades above the one I was actually in, which at that time was grade 6. I didn't study more than 20 minutes for any geometry test and only 10 minutes at most for geometry quizzes because I found them easy. I competed with my friends who also were getting As to see who could get the highest percentage grade on any test or quiz in any course. English and history were another story, almost the complete opposite. I hated them and still do, I found it boring, saw no point to it and rarely paid attention. When I did, it was just so the teacher wouldn't call me out.

Some people are just naturally better at certain academic areas, while others are better using a certain learning strategy. For me, I'm great at memorizing to the point I'll recall the page number where I read something while answering a question on a test. You'll often exceed if you find it interesting, which for me involves applying the material to real-life situations. The next time you're passing under a bridge or are in a mall, look at a structure and think how you would calculate the angle of something when you know only certain information. If you can understand how it can be relevant and interesting beyond just getting a test mark, you'll want to study.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: What if I'm just kind of average? - March 9th 2012, 07:46 AM

I've been struggling with math since Pre-Algebra. Used to get A+ grades, but those grades gradually deteriorated, until B- grades were the norm. I was in honors for a few years, and I was in an AP class during my senior year... but I decided to take Statistics instead of Calculus (I barely passed Pre-Calculus). I actually (no kidding) won a scholarship with my high school BECAUSE I consistently persevered in honors/AP courses - I wasn't the best student with consistent B- grades, but I sure as heck tried harder than almost anyone in those classes.

Looking back on my high school years, I didn't take a truckload of honors/AP courses. I stuck with math because I felt pressured to do so by my dad, and I picked English because I loved the subject... but everything else? I just did what I had to do in order to get good grades. The information didn't really stay with me over the years, but I found ways to motivate and reward myself despite lacking interest in the material. I ended up going to one of the top 50 universities in the United States for undergrad, and I got into another top 50 university for grad school.

The key isn't to take all honors/AP subjects. The key is to find your niche - capitalize on what you're good at, and focus on "one-upping" yourself in the subjects you're not doing well in. I never did get high marks in math, and I knew I would never be an A+ student... but like Nick said, instead of focusing on how other students were better than me, I just focused on doing better on the next test. Instead of beating the best score overall, I just focused on beating MY best score. If you challenge yourself and improve, even if it's just by a teeny tiny amount, then that's something you can take pride in. =) If you're not worrying about failing a class, then you can enjoy your other classes and find out what your strengths are, which can influence your career path in the future (you're a little too young to think about colleges right now, but it might not hurt to think about what you're good at and how you could use that to determine a potential future career - for example, if you like history and language, maybe you'd be interested in a career that involves working with historical documents/texts/artifacts).

(#6 (permalink)) Old
vrgtfvgt4vg Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: What if I'm just kind of average? - March 10th 2012, 10:06 PM

Thank you for all the advice. I've never been tested for learning disorders. I'm probably not failing English anymore or at least have a higher F. I spoke to the counselor twice this year already. She told me to write in my agenda and something else I can't remember. I just found my agenda again last week. I want to go to the eye doctor because I can't see the board sometimes. It's hard to not view it as a competition when they put our grades on the wall ranked.

I don't like talking to the teachers or getting tutoring because everybody else gets it and I don't. I get distracted a lot doing my work, and I work really slowly. I tried working in the library but I went on my email and then started reading a book.

Sometimes I stay up all night studying for a test and run out of time to do all my other homework. Studying the night before is the only way I remember anything.

I do like history though. I'm only going to take regular or Honors though, instead of AP because I can't get the work done or memorize large amounts of information.

I end up staying up all night all the time from leaving all the assignments to the last day.

EDIT: I can do simple math like 2+2, 4-3, but stuff like 17+34, or 93-19, I just can't do it in my head. I need to do it on paper with my fingers. It's okay though because in math we can use a calculator. I knew all the multiplication tables once, but now I only know 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, and 11. I really can't do much division. I don't know how to do math with fractions without a calculator. I still get inequalities confused.

Last edited by vrgtfvgt4vg; March 11th 2012 at 09:24 PM.

Closed Thread