TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
"Bisexual" Tux (Linux Mascot)
I've been here a while

Name: Chris

Too much to do, so little time to do it!! - March 19th 2012, 01:21 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I'm not sure if this would be considered triggering or not, it only has brief mention of some topics that may be triggering to people - there aren't really any details included, it just mentions topics.

--------------
This is essentially the list of everything that I think needs to be fixed/improved/done in the world (who knows...I will probably be adding to this later). Some of them are specific to the US, some are more global, some are very general, some are very specific, some could be clumped together. In any case, the problem is...I have almost 60 different things listed on here that are important to me--almost 60 causes/interests that I feel need to experience change. And yet it's essentially impossible for me to have an impact in all of these areas. It's all so important, and I have such a small amount of time before I really need to start worrying about what career path(s) I want to take...how can I possibly narrow this down? How do I go from 60 ideas and causes to a handful, or even one? There's so much in this world that needs change, so much that could use improving, and I feel like it's really up to my generation to do it...who else will? But every time I start to settle on one idea, I think of a bunch of others that need attention too. So much to do, and I have no idea where to begin. Any help?

The list (sorry that the bullets didn't show up properly...I hope you can figure out where each point is supposed to start):

Art programs to help people heal
Radio station with only positive music/messages
Newspaper for the people, by the people (nonprofit)
Social network where people can send each other messages by songs and art.
Peer Counseling Programs
More hotlines and other resources to help people who are struggling
Anti-bullying campaigns
Campaigns against hunger
Campaigns against homelessness
LGBT Equality
Race Equality
Religious Equality
More recycling
Being environmentally friendly (“green”, etc.)
Improved public transportation, fewer cars on the road.
Cleaner vehicles
Campaigns against sexual assault and child abuse
Body Image Improvement
Self Esteem Improvement
Help for people w/ Eating Disorders or Self Harming tendencies
Suicide Prevention
Preserving habitat, wildlife, nature
Putting our natural resources to good use.
Reusing materials when possible.
Getting the most out of what we have (e.g. can that computer, box, bottle, etc be used again?)
Reducing use of industrial poisons, toxins, chemicals, etc.
Stopping negative climate change
Ending unnecessary violence.
Affordable healthcare for everyone - making healthcare be a right, a necessity, not a privelage controlled by for-profit firms.
Finding cures for HIV/AIDS, cancer, other diseases.
Helping people get the most out of education - good schools, affordable higher education, etc.
Helping people cope w/ hardships - deaths, financial difficulties, etc.
Allowing creativity to be something that is a mutually owned asset of culture (the many), not something that is locked down and restricted by the few.
Getting more companies and businesses to donate to charity.
Instilling the ideas of giving and selflessness in others - getting people to realize that it is us, we, they that must shape the now and the future.
Establishing real senses of community - I’m doing this for the people around me--we’re all in this together. We’re a community.
Making sure everyone has safe and plentiful food, water, etc.
Making sure people have the resources to succeed in LIFE, and are able to get help if they need it.
Decommercialization of politics - our government is here for us, not money.
Keeping public meda alive - PBS, NPR, PRI, APM, BBC, local independent outlets, etc.
Protecting animals (both wild and domestic)
Improving our justice system
Keeping government resources (libraries, parks, fire, police, etc.)
Allowing unions to exist - maintaining fair and safe work conditions, wages, etc.
Preventing anti-competitive practices.
Being respectful and polite towards others, govs and companies not being disrespectful of beliefs in other places.
Making utility companies be non-profit/government entities - you don’t need to be a for-profit entity to provide electricity, water, communications services, etc.

P.S. thanks to anyone and everyone who stuck with this and read through the whole thing. Thanks so much for your patience.

Chris
You can always contact me to talk about anything!
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

Need a hug? Please take one!

Image Credit: startingover18 (Tumblr)

last updated on 11/11/17

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Choose Offline
Invest in yourself.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Too much to do, so little time to do it!! - March 19th 2012, 04:05 PM

Chris...

Holy crap that list is long. Maybe I am being pessimistic but I don't think you can get all of that done with just one career. Maybe if you pick some type of career that touches on the core problems/ issues that you REALLY feel a personal attachment to and go from there, you'd be better off. From there, you can contribute to all of these causes via volunteer work, a career change, perhaps in the future hiring people to help you out and expand your reach? I hope other people chime in here, but this seems like a LOT to do, and you may not be able to do it. My advice would be (if you haven't already) to start working on some of these NOW.

"Ignore the ramblings of the ignorant, and step on or over their crumpled bodies as you make your way to the top of the mountain. Eat upon their flesh for fuel, and, through your determination and will, banish them to obscurity and a life of complacency and self righteousness that is the hell in which they live"

-Richard Safreed

"Civilize the mind, but make savage the body."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Too much to do, so little time to do it!! - March 19th 2012, 08:28 PM

Alex,

Yeah...I know. It's rather impossible, but yet I am so determined (ugh...why does my mind have to make it so that I get 20,000,000 bugs up my butt all the time?)...which is why I made this thread xD

The problem is figuring out what to focus on. It's so hard to choose

Chris
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

last updated on 11/11/17

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Too much to do, so little time to do it!! - March 19th 2012, 08:49 PM

Some of the goals you can try to achieve together. For example, finding treatment (hesitant to use the word "cure") for various diseases can easily tie into charities for funding, such as charity campaigns against world hunger, which indirectly can tap into self-image and body image improvements. You can also simaltaneously support charities against violence, especially in war-torn countries where diseases plague villages, which relates to coping from a loved one's death.

On the other hand, many of the goals are completely separate so you'd need to think of different cascades from the one above. It's damn near impossible to tackle each goal one at a time and succeed. A few of the goals are going to be very difficult no matter what as they are so tightly engrained, such as the goal of anti-competitive practices. Competition drives the economy, sports, it gives motivation and a variety of positive and negative outcomes, so realistically I don't see that goal happening by you or anyone for that matter. Some of your goals stem from this engrained competition, such as giving plentiful resources in life to succeed, water and food. Other goals are already being tackled and addressed, not to say you shouldn't abandon them, rather instead of taking a lone-wolf approach, you could join forces, such as protecting animals, more respect and politeness, "greener" society, etc... .

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Too much to do, so little time to do it!! - March 19th 2012, 09:18 PM

Yes, I've been trying to come up with ways to tie in as many things as possible around one career or endeavor, but I've had little luck thus far.

I think perhaps you misread my post. I'm not saying competition is a bad thing, I'm saying anti-competitive practices should be stopped (e.g. Microsoft mandating that all computer manufacturers make it impossible for the computer to boot other operating systems, which they are doing by the way).

Chris
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

last updated on 11/11/17

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Too much to do, so little time to do it!! - March 20th 2012, 02:03 AM

Hey Chris, I feel your pain, a lot of the things you have here are things I want to do too. The good news is that a lot of this can be combined and organizations relating to some of it already exist. In terms of career paths most of these fall under several major catagories

Psychology
media
environment/resources(food,water etc.) and animals
politics/criminal justice

I'm thinking something psychology and/or media related business might also help you, if you're going to run any kind of organization. You could volunteer with one or a few existing organizations and decide if you really like it then ask people who work there how they got into it.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye
I've been here a while

Name: Suv

Re: Too much to do, so little time to do it!! - March 20th 2012, 06:37 AM

It is an amazing list! I do have a list like that too.
So, for the environment thingy, you can do it now. Like incorporate the practices of recycling and all that in your life now. And believe me, people around you will pick up your practices. Its something I have seen happening everyday. I recently started becoming more environment friendly and my friends have started picking up on my habits! And for the rest, like Nick said charity. That is an amazing idea.

Why don't you start organizing things. In the list, reorganize them, what all things you can do right now? Things which will be done only later in life? My mum keeps telling me that for the things I want to do, I need to have a position in the society first. Because then I'll be able to influence the people. So for your career, if you get into social services or something like that, you'll need to establish yourself first to do a lot of things. Other things you'll be able to do early on in your career.

And as for your career, Katie gave you some nice options. If you go into something like media, you'll be able to spread awareness. And if you go in social services, you'll be able to work towards getting the things done.

Best of luck with whatever you do! :thumsup: Whatever career you choose, your intentions are so noble that you'll do a great job!

"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it."

-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

(#8 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Too much to do, so little time to do it!! - April 2nd 2012, 07:11 PM

Hey everyone. Thanks for the wonderful comments. More and more, I'm thinking I can make the largest impact by starting a media company with these goals:
- To entertain a wide audience of people;
- To educate, inform, and draw the attention of others about important issues in our society;
- To help non-profits by way of activism, the spreading of information, and donated funds;
- To contribute to a growing pool of accessible and open art and media in order to maintain an open creative culture in our society.

I'm hoping that maybe myself and a few other young adults could get together one day and found something like this, where we make videos and other media for the benefit of others (either in documentary form or not), keep what we need to cover our expenses and have decent lives, and then give the rest to a cause(s). While I wouldn't mind going into some sort of social work, I feel like I can make the largest and broadest impact if I am in a position to spread ideas and information, rather than working directly with a particular group. What do you guys think?

Chris
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

last updated on 11/11/17

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread