TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
vrgtfvgt4vg Offline
Junior TeenHelper

I want to get in the top band - March 21st 2012, 04:54 AM

Band levels at my school go:

Freshman-9th grade
Concert-10-12th
Advanced-9-12th audition only

I really want to get into advances next year. I play decent. I'm the only person in freshman who plays my instrument. So if you don't make it in Advanced you automatically go to concert and it's pretty much the same level music as freshman. So if some eighth grader auditions and is a lot better than me they would get into chamber and I would automatically so concert otherwise there would be no one on my instrument. This would be humiliating. The teacher already knows how I play (some good and some bad) so I may not even have to audition.

I can't let that happen. If that happens I feel like I might as well just quit. I probably will honestly. This is the only activity I do, and my only hobby. If I fail at this I'm pretty much useless.

I can't get into concert band. Please give me advice. I'm desperate to get into advanced. I take lessons and am in another band already. I still have the rest of March, April, May, and June.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
ForgetMeNot9 Offline
Muggle
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: I want to get in the top band - March 21st 2012, 05:15 AM

I'm a musician myself - I play clarinet primarily and some other woodwind instruments. My advice to you would be to practice your butt off! Try to know your audition piece inside and out as much as possible. If you want to be super dedicated, then you can even be practicing while you're not even playing your instrument. Read over your sheet music, make any necessary marks/cues you think would help you. Since your taking lessons, you should ask your teacher for some help. Something that me and my teacher did was set up a fake audition where he was the judge. He would take notes during the "audition" and then we would go over any iffy areas together. You have plenty of time left to practice for this audition, so that's a huge plus And lastly, be positive! If you're negative and keep thinking about what COULD happen, you could potentially psych yourself out when it comes time to audition. Good luck with everything. I bet you'll do great!

Rescue is possible. Love is the movement ♥

(#3 (permalink)) Old
vrgtfvgt4vg Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I want to get in the top band - March 21st 2012, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgetMeNot9 View Post
I'm a musician myself - I play clarinet primarily and some other woodwind instruments. My advice to you would be to practice your butt off! Try to know your audition piece inside and out as much as possible. If you want to be super dedicated, then you can even be practicing while you're not even playing your instrument. Read over your sheet music, make any necessary marks/cues you think would help you. Since your taking lessons, you should ask your teacher for some help. Something that me and my teacher did was set up a fake audition where he was the judge. He would take notes during the "audition" and then we would go over any iffy areas together. You have plenty of time left to practice for this audition, so that's a huge plus And lastly, be positive! If you're negative and keep thinking about what COULD happen, you could potentially psych yourself out when it comes time to audition. Good luck with everything. I bet you'll do great!
I might not even get to audition. My teacher might just decide what class I should go to. I need to step it up in class too.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Dervisher Offline
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I want to get in the top band - March 21st 2012, 08:11 AM

The biggest thing you have to ask yourself is do you want to be advanced simply because its a status to hold (i.e. better than 90% of people at your age) or do you do it for the love of the music?

I can name hundreds of bands who play mostly for the status of best. You can tell because they are all of the popular bands.

A lot of amazing musicians are never heard of simply because they do not follow the 'do this, get more fans' type of music. Instead they delve into what they enjoy, at the price of never being heard of essentially.

I honestly don't care if there's a million people watching Iron Maiden, or if 15 million are at a concert watching Taylor Swift or whoever. There's different levels of enjoyment:
The one knowing others enjoy hearing the music, thus enhancing the entertainment you are receiving.
And the other, much better feeling:
Knowing almost nobody enjoys this music, and you are thoroughly entertained by it no matter how out of place it makes you in society. It doesn't take another person to validate what you enjoy because you know you enjoy it. What's that? You like this song but none of your friends like it? Well that's the only type of music I can listen to.

I don't consider it good music if it takes thousands of people grouped up in a tiny place to be fully entertained by the music.

Closed Thread