TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Pay issues ? - March 22nd 2012, 04:18 PM

Ok I usually work 2 days a week but since the beginning of 2012 after christmas break up - my days went up to three days so instead of me working 11 hours I'm work 16 - I am still wage even though my hours have gone up meaning I should get an increase in pay . I haven't. I've been into work, I've said this, I thought it was sorted, checked my bank today no I've been underpaid again. I have work tomorrow. I'm telling my boss that I will not work the extra day till this is sorted as its not fair that I am doing the extra day and not being paid when I should be paid for it. But I guess what I want to know is do I have a good enough grounds to refuse to work the extra day or do I need a better reason, as I've said at work lots of times about my pay but still I'm underpaid. In simple terms, I work 3 days - and am getting the same wage I would when I worked 2 days, more hours = more pay. Well should. Do I have enough of a reason to refuse to work the extra day ?

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
kadyCHAOS Offline
sleep when your dead
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: kady

Re: Pay issues ? - March 24th 2012, 08:10 PM

I think so. its not right/legal for them to not pay you correct wages for number of hours work.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Pay issues ? - March 24th 2012, 09:19 PM

Yeah I know its not legal - but what I'm questioning is do the grounds for a strike and if my boss can sack me for doing so etc ?

Videos team

(#4 (permalink)) Old
kadyCHAOS Offline
sleep when your dead
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: kady

Re: Pay issues ? - March 25th 2012, 02:24 AM

hm. strikes are usually a group effort, are you the only one in this situation or are other employees getting wrong pay as well? you could refuse to work the extra shift but that may be grounds for firing.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Pay issues ? - March 25th 2012, 01:58 PM

Yeah a couple of others have pay issues too. I've wrote every day and hours and dates out worked on a sheet of paper, mums going to type it all out and email it onto the person who pays me. it's just frustrating that it's been on going since the start of January.

Videos team

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Anna78 Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Pay issues ? - March 27th 2012, 01:06 PM

To my mind the only thing that you are not paid for working extra hours is a good reason to strike your boss.Because it's just not fair, if you work more hours you should get more money.Before asking you to work and extra day he should tell you if this will be paid.Anyway, I think you have to talk to your boss and to say him that you're not going to work extra hours, but my advice, better start to look for another job, just look, maybe you will find something better.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Pay issues ? - March 27th 2012, 02:35 PM

Yes thats the thing though - when they asked me to work the extra day I was told this would be paid work - so I took myself down to the job centre and signed myself off the welfare money/social sercuirty money/benefits. Only to now find that despite working the extra day I'm not being paid. yet my boss insists they have told the person who pays us that I am working the extra the day and need paying I still am not paid for it. I have applied for a job in another nursery - with more hours ect.

Videos team

(#8 (permalink)) Old
L'espoir Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jen

Re: Pay issues ? - March 29th 2012, 09:24 PM

Hi,

Don't get your mum to write or anything, it doesn't look good. Since you are an adult, you should really be doing all correspondence yourself. I don't know about how the job hunt is going, but my advice would be not to "strike" while you don't have any other job as it could well put this one in jeopardy or make your employer hostile to you. Your boss can make your life very difficult so it's best to be on their good side. Instead of "striking", I would talk to your boss again and be very clear about the fact that you need paying for this. Tell them you want to hear what will be done about it and when you can receive your money. Obviously do it in a very polite way, possibly write a letter (but do it yourself) and send this. Let them know that if you are still dissatisfied after then you will have to take further action. Definitely give them another chance though first to sort it out.. like I said, you want to stay in their good books if possible whilst still looking for another job.

PM // VM

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Pay issues ? - April 11th 2012, 02:41 PM

It's been sorted I was paid the extra hours last week, and it seems my hourly rate my have gone up too

Videos team

Closed Thread