TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
hoʻonani i ka makua mau
Average Joe

Name: Nicole

Assist me on some stuff for Shattered Dreams/Every 15 Minutes? - March 30th 2012, 02:10 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of substance use, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

"Every 15 minutes, someone dies as the result of an alcohol related collision."

Curious if anyone has heard of this project before.

http://every15minutes.com/

Basically the school and fire department, police department, EMS and some other outside sources set up a mock car crash at school to show the consequences of drinking and driving. There are usually 5 or so students involved in the accident itself. A drunk driver, 2 fatalities (1 dies at the scene, another dies in the hospital), and the other students testify against the drunk driver at the trial.

The whole process is extremely thorough and realistic. From the car crash to the arrest, to the trial, to the funeral, there are a lot of small details and it takes a lot of effort from all the people involved including the parents of the students.

It's a 2 day program, but it's very powerful for the people who witness it.

If you want to see an extremely good example, there is one (WARNING: It's VERY graphic).

Anyway, our school is supposed to have it every 3 years (but we haven't because it's kind of a really sensitive subject since pretty much every year for the past few years we've been losing a student or 2 in an alcohol related accident) and our date for the mock-collision this year is on April 18th. And during the day leading up to the mock collision, every 15 minutes someone will read mock obituaries of some students over the school's PA system. I'm one of the dead students not involved in the actual crash scene itself and basically our role is to dress up in all black and come to school but not really be there. Show up to every class, but be invisible, essentially.

Then the next day, there's going to be a memorial assembly for all of us who 'died' with like our memorial displays and things like that.

So I'm kind of just wondering...

1. If anyone has participated in this project before, how did it affect you?
2. What would I write in my obituary? And what would I put on my memorial board?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jack Lowden Offline
Afternoon.
Outside, huh?

Re: Assist me on some stuff for Shattered Dreams/Every 15 Minutes? - March 30th 2012, 09:23 PM

1. If anyone has participated in this project before, how did it affect you? My old high school does this every 2 years & only juniors/seniors can see it. It was a bit different from yours, however. Students who "died" didn't go to school at all, they didn't even stay home. They stayed in hotel rooms & basically disappeared for a while. No communication with anyone from school. I thought this was a great project & was pretty realistic actually. It didn't change me personally that much since I was already against drinking & driving & I didn't even party or anything in school. However I do know people I went to high school with that post on facebook every weekend, "if you decide to go out tonight, please call me if you need a ride & I will go pick you up, no questions asked".

2. What would I write in my obituary? And what would I put on my memorial board?
Actually, you might want to ask your parents what kind of stuff they would want to add if it was a legitimate obituary or memorial board. At my school, they actually had the parents write that stuff plus the parents gave speeches at the "funerals", which was very emotional. It makes it more realistic & moving when the parents are the ones thinking about losing their kids, rather than the kid trying to write their own stuff.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
hoʻonani i ka makua mau
Average Joe

Name: Nicole

Re: Assist me on some stuff for Shattered Dreams/Every 15 Minutes? - March 31st 2012, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbreakable♥ View Post
1. If anyone has participated in this project before, how did it affect you? My old high school does this every 2 years & only juniors/seniors can see it. It was a bit different from yours, however. Students who "died" didn't go to school at all, they didn't even stay home. They stayed in hotel rooms & basically disappeared for a while. No communication with anyone from school. I thought this was a great project & was pretty realistic actually. It didn't change me personally that much since I was already against drinking & driving & I didn't even party or anything in school. However I do know people I went to high school with that post on facebook every weekend, "if you decide to go out tonight, please call me if you need a ride & I will go pick you up, no questions asked".

Actually, you might want to ask your parents what kind of stuff they would want to add if it was a legitimate obituary or memorial board. At my school, they actually had the parents write that stuff plus the parents gave speeches at the "funerals", which was very emotional. It makes it more realistic & moving when the parents are the ones thinking about losing their kids, rather than the kid trying to write their own stuff.
Well for ours, on the first day, the day we 'die', we don't go home. And then we show up to our mock memorial service the next day and we're supposed to read goodbye letters to our parents and the parents who want to are also supposed to talk etc etc etc. And same here with the only juniors and seniors thing.

My mom doesn't really want to write an obituary because it's like bad luck. I guess it's more of a cultural thing than anything else, but that's why a lot of parents here don't want to participate in the program even if they let their kids do it.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Jack Lowden Offline
Afternoon.
Outside, huh?

Re: Assist me on some stuff for Shattered Dreams/Every 15 Minutes? - March 31st 2012, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Aloha View Post
My mom doesn't really want to write an obituary because it's like bad luck. I guess it's more of a cultural thing than anything else, but that's why a lot of parents here don't want to participate in the program even if they let their kids do it.
Well I know it's morbid, but you could always look at actual obituaries & see what people write. Also, add stuff that makes you unique, like "her completely awesome photography & caring personality will definitely be missed" & such so your friends can get the feel of what they would be missing.

Closed Thread