TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stuckinhell Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sammy

Uni- struggling to cope- should i quit - March 30th 2012, 08:48 AM

So i'm doing a degree in social work. I'm coming to the end of my 2nd year. Due to stress and anxiety, i'm having to do my 3rd year over 2 years, making me only 1/2 way through my degree.

Academically i'm doing fine, and i still enjoy it. But it's pujtting me under so much stress, making me physcially ill.

I'm getting nightmares every night and it's making me so depressed.

It's feeling like it's not worth carrying on. Quit now

But then, i've already done 2 years, grades are fine, and i still want to work in something similar to socail work.

Jst need some thoughts really

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Uni- struggling to cope- should i quit - March 30th 2012, 09:09 PM

I can't tell you whether or not you should quit, that has to be your decision. As someone who struggled with these kinds of things during my undergrad I know what you're going through to an extent. If this degree is something you want or need in order to get the kind of job you want it's worth continuing. However I would strongly suggest you seek professional help with this, whether you decide to stay or not.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
matt30822 Offline
N7 Elite Psych
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Uni- struggling to cope- should i quit - April 1st 2012, 09:22 AM

Having said i have been there - especially during my fourth year i can tell you that while it is obviously your own decision, if you seem interested in the work and you feel you will enjoy working in social work then i would advise you continue.

Most universities these days have great student support services with many staff members there to support students going through exactly what you are going through. I would suggest you look up your Universities Psychologist and book in an appointment with them and hopefully you will come out with less stress and no nightmares. Some universities even offer this as a free service so you should check it out!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Mitch

Re: Uni- struggling to cope- should i quit - April 2nd 2012, 10:39 AM

K, so I typed for about half an hour trying to get a post together - and then my browser crashed. I love life.

All you have to know now, is that I'm in the same boat as you. It's comforting to know that someone else is there with me, even though we've never met. It's also liberating to know that I'm not the only one wanting to give up. I too am depressed, anxious, stressed, pressured. I feel like there's a boulder on my head that's unbreakable. But heck, you know what, I'm not going to give up. We are half way there (at least, I am, not sure about you). After that, I can say I have a degree in Law. I have that power. I have the ability to make people proud, and if I drop out now, I don't know anyone that will be proud of me. So, we shouldn't give up, no matter what comes our way - people are looking on us to make them proud.

You shouldn't only do it for the people around you; do it for yourself. This is ALL for you. And after it's over, it's done and you never have to pick up another textbook again - because you can say that you're done. You can be proud to say that you made it through University alive. I know I will be - I'll also be extremely happy that it's all over and done with. I'll probably drown myself in whiskey on graduation day.

You shouldn't give up.
PM/Inbox me if you need someone to talk to.
Chin up, it'll all be over soon.

~ Composure.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
*Jen* Offline
keep smiling :-)
Outside, huh?

Name: Jen

Re: Uni- struggling to cope- should i quit - April 9th 2012, 04:53 PM

Hey Maia,

Sorry that you are struggling. I haven't spoken to you in ages! We need to catch up sometime. I am at uni as well and it is really stressful. I had to do my 2nd year in 2 parts because I couldn't cope with it. I have been in hospital multiple times as well throughout my degree and sometimes I wonder whether it is all worth it because it is making me ill. But I am finally beginning to see some light at the end of the tunnel because I have nearly finished.

Have you ever considered taking a year out? Perhaps that way you could get yourself better then go back for your 3rd year and feel better because after all social work is really stressful and if you are struggling to cope with doing the course then you may struggle when you have a job. You need to put yourself first and get yourself better. That way you will be able to enjoy it more. Perhaps you could speak to your tutors about it because they should be able to advise you about what they think is best. I have found my tutors to be supportive so you should consider talking to them.

I hope you manage to get things sorted

Believe
You can do anything you want to
:-)

(#6 (permalink)) Old
amystery Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Becca

Re: Uni- struggling to cope- should i quit - April 9th 2012, 10:50 PM

Hey Maia,

I know university is a struggle right now and it may seem like the end is a million miles away right now but you are slowing getting through each year. I think the fact that you seem to know you want to do something in the area of social work is definitely a good starting point. You have a direction to go and no matter what area of social work you end up in your degree will help. I can't decide for you whether or not to continue or to drop out but I think that if you want to work in that area and your marks are still decent then I say go for it. You can always take a year off and figure things out if it gets to be too much.

That being said I think most university students are in this boat at one point or another. I know I'm currently in a similar boat as you. This is my third year of university and I feel as though Im not getting aynwhere, unlike your situation though my marks aren't so great because I'm not in my desired area yet and I honestly don't care about a lot of the things I have to take to get into Education. I'll try to avoid my rant about the elementary education program where I'm studying it and all the useless classes I have to take to apply to education but no promises :P. (In all honesty though it is sort of my own fault for applying to this program and not the program in another city but I digress..) I'm in my third year of taking arts and science classes as prerequisites to apply to education. This year I finally got to apply to education for next fall and hopefully I will get in...if I dont get in I have no idea what I will do. I went after an english degree and added extra course to my schedule instead of making it less stressfull on myself and only taking the few required course I had left after the second year.

I think you are doing the right thing by taking your year in two years instead of one. In all honesty I wish I would have done the same thing and spread my classes out instead of taking a full course load every semester and doing poorly in everything because I was so stressed out etc. If I get into Education this year I have two more years to go...when if I'd have just applied to another university or not turned down the option to transfer last year I could already be done.live and learn I guess. Though its taking forever and I'm not sure where all this university is oing to lead me I think i'm going to stick it out...at least end up with one degree..if i take another semester after this one I should at least end up with a BA in English.

Just know you definitely aren't alone in this. I think at one point or another we all feel like giving up or that our goals are unrealistic. Just know that no matter how long it takes you, do it because its something you want to be doing. You've figured out what you want to be and thats more than most people in university have figured out.

Closed Thread