TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Omen. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Question Public or Private Schools? - March 31st 2012, 11:59 AM

Do you prefer Public or Private Schools? Why?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Public or Private Schools? - March 31st 2012, 12:35 PM

Aren't they the same?...

(#3 (permalink)) Old
ertyuio Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Public or Private Schools? - April 1st 2012, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobies View Post
Aren't they the same?...

No, not necessarily. While public schools are bound to the educational system (syllabi, requisites for graduation, etc.) mandated by their state or region, private schools are not and may follow any educational system, as long as it is of the same or a higher rigor than the public school requirements. For instance, in the state of New York, a certain amount of standardized tests called Regents exams are required, along with a certain amount of particular courses throughout high school, to receive a public school diploma. However, in my private school here, we follow an international and entirely separate educational format, allowing us to take different standardized tests (which are far more rigorous) and exempt us from the state requirements.
Not to mention the fact that private schools are allowed to make their own schedules and assign their own vacation periods, independently of public schools. I relish the fact that my school ends session in late May, whereas the vast majority of schools in my region will end in late June. A whole month of free public transportation? Sign me up!

Personally, I prefer public school, but there are pros and cons to each. In public school, the courses are typically less demanding than in private school (if the private school conforms to a different system), which, for me, translates directly to more free time in which I can study independently, and further my own knowledge. While I have barely any time for independent study whatsoever in private school, however, this is a far better way for me to prepare myself for what college will be like, and I'm relatively confident that my first year of college will be even less rigorous than what I'm receiving now.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Disneygirl94 Offline
I believe I Can Fly
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kaitlyn

Re: Public or Private Schools? - April 1st 2012, 03:47 AM

Private because its a lot smaller and Im in a huge over crowded high school that i do not enjoy at all and would LOVE a smaller student body haha

"My great hope is to laugh as much as I cry; to get my work done and try to love somebody and have the courage to accept the love in return. "

(#5 (permalink)) Old
George^^ Offline
Hi :D
Senior TeenHelper

Name: George

Re: Public or Private Schools? - April 2nd 2012, 10:31 PM

I go to a public school, but sometimes I dream of going to a private school. They just sound so much nicer, but I find it easier to blend in here, through. And, even through I don't have the biggest group of friends, I know the people I go to school with pretty well, but thats what happens when you live in a small community, you begin to know the people you go to school with.

I use to think I needed to go to a private school to "get a better education", but what I actually need here is to have classes that I want to be in, and classes that people aren't acting stupid in because here that's what's cool. I'm actually excited to be going into grade ten here next year, with my double fine arts, and no second language (Which I will be doing on my own time... I don't want to fall behind in something I struggle in when I go on the school trip.)

Honestly, private schools may have a smaller population, but in my current public school, I'm already recognized and known by name as a good student (Such as being the first one looked into about an against smoking segment for the CBC here, Encounters with Canada, and the school trip to China). I have a better chance of excelling as long as I make sure I graduate without having my math a little short for the university I want to go to.

I've said it once, I've said it twice, I've said it a thousand fucking times
That I'm OK, that I'm fine, that it's all just in my mind
But this has got the best of me, and I can't seem to sleep
It's not 'cause you're not with me, it's cause you never leave

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Public or Private Schools? - April 3rd 2012, 03:25 AM

Warning, my experience is all from the United States. Education is much different in other countries, so this will probably apply to few countries.

I've gone to public schools my entire life, for cost purposes. There are pros and cons to both. Private schools tend to cost A LOT more (in high school, public is usually free, and colleges private often costs double the amount.) However, depending on the state you live in, private may be a lot better. I happened to go to fairly good public schools, besides my middle school which the point of it was to keep you out of juvi and that's about it. I think I'm biased to say this, being that I have only gone to public school, but I often feel like people that go to public, although they may not grow up to be as book smart, are often more incline to understand how to get along in the real world. I don't know exactly what it is, but a lot of the private school kids I meet in college are very sheltered, not in the "not drinking" way or something, but in a different way. They often don't understand things such as competition, or the fact you're not going to get an A on every paper, and do not understand ideas of privilege at all, thinking that everybody grew up in their same upper-middle class white families. This is obviously making a lot of assumptions and grouping people up in a nice bunch, but that has been my experience with people that went to private high schools in the college setting.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
Closed Thread