TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Katherine96 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Katherine

Revision tips? - April 16th 2012, 05:16 PM

Urm so, I'm in year 11 and my gcses start in exactly 4 weeks. I've been on my Easter holiday the past two weeks and been revising for them... But nothing seems to be sinking in and now I'm really worried :s
Does anyone have any revision tips?!

The subjects I'm doing are; French, food tech, ict, pe, physics, chemistry, maths and history... I'm having a serious problems remembering history dates especially, but it's generally everything.
Thanks

"it's always okay in the end; if it's not okay then its not the end"

(#2 (permalink)) Old
NoName12 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Revision tips? - April 16th 2012, 11:25 PM

When studying, I make notes of both textbook and lecture materials. Following that, I review those. Most of the time, I condense the notes I've already made for efficient studying purposes.

If you want to do well, be prepared to put in the work and effort. It may take 20+ hours for each exam in order to acquire a basic foundation, and then more if you want to truly excel (A- or so).

That being said, some study tactics work well for some people and not so much for others. It's really important to find a method that works best for you and go from there. Identify where you need the most assistance (your weaknesses) and work towards getting at the higher end of achievement.

First impressions last. Start behind the eight ball and you'll never get in front.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: Revision tips? - April 17th 2012, 12:12 AM

One of the things that I've always found helpful is making flashcards. I don't know much about food tech and I've never heard of ict. But, I'm sure they would work for all of the other subjects. Write down vocab words and their definitions, important dates and names, and formulas. Review them again and again. Seriously, do it until it feels completely redundant and you never want to hear any of the terms again. Then, pass the flashcards over to a friend or family member. Quiz time! Have them go through the different subjects with you and see how many you get right. When you get some wrong, put them in a different pile and start reviewing those again. Do this for a few hours every night before the test. It should help you achieve your desired scores. Good luck on your exams!

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Re: Revision tips? - April 17th 2012, 03:17 PM

I usually make Powerpoint presentations But seriously, It means I'm revising the stuff when I'm making the presentation, and then I have handouts to read over when I print it off. Also, it helps me to have stuff in my own words.

Also, I find I'm more motivated to revise nearer the exams (Two weeks before, to be precise). I can't do an hour a day for 2 months and all the stuff they tell you to do in school. What I do is put my entire focus on the upcoming exam for about a week before it. I don't go out, I spend all my free time cramming I'm not advising you to do this- it's stressful, and obviously means you don't have much free time. But I find it works for me to revise intensely for a short amount of time, rather than spacing it out. But again, that's the opposite of what everyone else will probably tell you to do

Also, you need to find ways to revise that work for you. Some people can revise from reading notes, others from making flashcards....You need to find a way that works for you. Another one that works for me is teaching the stuff I need to revise to my cuddly toys. Just....shut the door if you wanna try this one

Past papers, podcasts, drawings, storyboards, flashcards....be creative! And good luck with your exams!

-Laura

Take as long as you need.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Katherine96 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Katherine

Re: Revision tips? - April 17th 2012, 05:02 PM

Thank you everyone! Greatly appreciated I'm going to try lots of different methods I think and see which helps me most. Thanks again!
Katherine xox

"it's always okay in the end; if it's not okay then its not the end"

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Naureen Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Naureen

Re: Revision tips? - April 25th 2012, 02:11 AM

Studying techniques vary from person to person.
I usually right my notes on the objective points or syllabus set out by the department of education and then try to write it without looking at my notes. But if you are more creative, try making a little jingle for your history dates. It works quite well (I still remember the layers of the atmosphere from a jingle I made a couple of years back).
Most importantly, don't stress if you aren't remembering. I know it sounds cliche, but just take a deep breath.

Goodluck for your exams!

Closed Thread