TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Coopar Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy Majoring in Engineering Graphics Tech (help) - April 19th 2012, 02:36 PM

My major is Engineering Graphics and Technologies and I'm scared to death all because of one teacher and the way he is. So far, I have made straight A's in all of my engineering classes except for this one. I need a C to move on to the summer semester and he said it's possible for me to get a C but I have to basically ace the final exam coming up next week. I don't know what to do, his teaching abilities have stuck me as confusing since day one and I have complained all semester about him and didn't know what to do, I have failed about every drawing he has assigned because the way I did it wasn't the way he wanted but he doesn't state how he wants something done. We also have two others in the class that basically breath and eat this stuff and they work with it. Basically, they are here for the degree so they can move on in their job and I feel that the teacher is biased and bases our drawings on their drawings instead of his actual standards.

TL;DR I'm scared I'm gonna make less than a C in this class and be stuck with the fear, "Should I change my major."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Majoring in Engineering Graphics Tech (help) - April 19th 2012, 03:15 PM

Hi and welcome I know what you mean I graduated college last year and I had a few professors like the one you mention. I even got a D in math once because the teacher didn't know what she was doing (I re-took it the next semester with someone else and got an 85). You might not be doing as bad as you think, I used to be afraid of failing a class and then realize I got a B in it. How are other students doing with his assignments? It's one thing if you don't pass them it's another if no one does! If they're doing better, ask them to at least help you understand what the professor wants. It also couldn't hurt to talk to him. I know sometimes they can be intimidating, but believe it or not he wants you to pass his class, but it's up to you to ask for help from him now. Unlike high school they don't track you down and force you to accept help anymore.

Think long and hard about changing your major including why you want to do it. I wouldn't change your major and possibly your career or more than that because you don't do well in one class or with one professor.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Coopar Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Majoring in Engineering Graphics Tech (help) - April 19th 2012, 05:06 PM

Well we have the two really smart guys that just do it right the first time and at first we had a class of ~18 now it's 6 people left

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Angelicaxo Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Majoring in Engineering Graphics Tech (help) - April 19th 2012, 06:31 PM

Dont let one class or one course change what you want to do in your life. I just graduated with my Bach. in Engineering and i know from experience. If this is really want you want to do in your life for your future, don't let one professor or one course let you down and give up your dream. Try your best for the exam and see how it goes. If you have the passion for engineering, it wouldnt affect you too much that if u do fail to stay behind and redo it. I know it might look bad/make you feel bad, but honestly its not a big deal.

What ever you do - no matter how discouraging this professor might be, never give up on yourself. If you beleive you can do it, you can acheive it.

Just give it a try, if you really like everything about engineering except this one course, its not a big deal. No one likes everything about every course they take. Theres weaknesses in everyone. If you beleive that you could have done better with another professor, and you do end up passing the class, you could always retake the course with another professor at your own time later.

Good luck PM if you have any questions

Closed Thread