TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
thisiscourtney Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Points: 13,499, Level: 16 Points: 13,499, Level: 16 Points: 13,499, Level: 16

But I want to work with animals - April 20th 2012, 04:45 AM

It's always been my dream to work with animals, and I have worked with Animal Humane Societies frequently in the past. I'm transferring to an international American university to be closer to my family, and they have zero science majors. I'm planning to study Communications in hopes of getting a marketing or communications internship with a wildlife or marine animal rescue organization. I'm just worried that without a biology background, I won't ever be able to work with animals to the extent that I want to. Could extensive experience alone perhaps assist me or is this a lost hope?

Waitin' for my ruca.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Points: 77,427, Level: 39 Points: 77,427, Level: 39 Points: 77,427, Level: 39

Re: But I want to work with animals - April 21st 2012, 01:32 AM

It depends on what kind of work you want to do with animals. If you want to be a veterinarian... then I would seriously re-consider your decision to switch universities (and thus, majors). While people CAN get into pre-med with degrees like communications, it's not the norm. Internships and high test scores could help, but in all honesty, I'm not sure it would be enough to get you into pre-med.

Now, if you want to go into a more general field where you would work with animals (something that doesn't involve a heavy background in biology, chemistry, physiology, etc.), then communications + internships/experience may be fine... but again, I think you may want to re-consider your move at this point in time. Have you talked to an academic advisor about this yet? How about people in your desired profession? How did they get there (ex. degree, experience, years in the field before getting to their current job)? Ask plenty of questions so you can make the best decision possible. =)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: But I want to work with animals - April 23rd 2012, 11:28 PM

Like PSY said, if you want to work WITH the animals (say as a vet, zoologist, vet tech, etc) then you WILL need the background in sciences. A lot of them even require graduate degrees, so if thats what you want to do, I'd stay where you are. However, there are still areas to access animals with comm studies. You should just consider what field you want.
Closed Thread