TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Art Whether you love paintings, statues, photography or another form of art, use this forum to discuss art and artists from around the world!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Teen
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Anne

Question Is this dumb? - April 15th 2017, 03:32 PM

Lately I have been losing friends like pennies and they all say I'm annoying and weird. I begin looking at who I am and I'm not sure that I like what I see. Are these hobbies and favorites dumb?
My favorite movie is "Newsies"(a musical)
I can't even choose a favorite book I've read so many but a few of my favorites are Pride and Prejedice, Harry Potter, The Lunar Chronicles, Little Women, An old fashioned Girl, Hunger Games, and more.
I enjoy art, and can draw somewhat well.
I make handmade cards out of paper and other scrap booking materials and sell them.
I love to cook and bake
I love to sing and made it into an Honor Choir at school.
I am usually very outgoing, I even made the Cheer Team at my school.
I also love to write stories
I'm not athletic but I enjoy being active and taking walks or swimming.

I feel like all of these hobbies or traits of mine are dumb. Are they?

"Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it, yet."
-Miss Stacy, Anne of Green Gables

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Thinking Offline
Think, and solve problems!!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ivan

Re: Is this dumb? - April 15th 2017, 04:05 PM

Oh what... NO! Its not dumb even a bit! How could your friends said that to you?!

Your hobbies and strengths are what makes you special and unique to every others. Well, if they think you are dumb for this reason, then every human being are dumb, which we know its not true!

And as for me, I admire your talents! You can do all the things you written here, that I can't even do a bit of it. Drawing and writing has been completely foreign to me! And I can imagine you having a great voice for being into the choir team in your school, thats amazing!

Being outgoing is so wonderful that I can never able to acheive. I am jealous now! (jk)

But really, I can keep going on with this list of your admirable skills. You have so many good things in you and you acknowledge them and write them here. This is very good! Don't let your friends to demean you with your skills. If they dont understand you well then they aren't your good friends. None of what you said above are stupid, and in fact shows so much about you. Keep going, and know that you are amazing!

Oh you are really a smart person and I hope you realize this soon!

Life can knock us down, but we can choose to stand up and fight. Never give up!

Why must you fight so badly? Because you dont want to be scared of life anymore!

Last edited by Thinking; April 15th 2017 at 05:23 PM.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thinking 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Is this dumb? - April 15th 2017, 07:16 PM

There is nothing wrong with your hobbies or interests. There is nothing wrong with being weird, and if your friends think your annoying then that's probably not cause of the things you like, but rather the way that you act. It sounds like your a really well rounded person and it sucks that your friends are making you question yourself. I find that when you have a strong personality and are outgoing, sometimes other people don't jive with you and think you're annoying, I have had this experience too, and I have learned that to accept that it says more about the person than it does about me. There is nothing wrong with yourself or myself, we're not being annoying, those people just can't handle a person with a strong personality because they're not secure enough to not resent someone who's good at being who they are (even if we're also plagued by insecurity). Don't let it get to you. You'll be ok.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Nala Offline
Clarity
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Ellie

Re: Is this dumb? - April 18th 2017, 05:33 AM

Hey, Anne!

I'm sorry you have been losing friends. I just want to say that if your friends are saying you are annoying and weird due to your hobbies, that is by no fault of your own. If they are truly your friends they should like you for who you are, including what you enjoy doing and respect your hobbies, interests and traits.

Those hobbies and favorites aren't dumb at all! I have a hard time picking favorites when it comes to entertainment. I think it is wonderful that you enjoy reading so much that you can't pick a favorite book. Have you thought about sharing your drawings with us? I'd really like to see them. I used to draw often but I don't do it much anymore. I bet you draw pretty wonderfully. Can I ask what you draw? I used to lean towards animals and cartoon characters. Writing stories is a lot of fun as well! You can also share those with us in Self-Expression if you'd like.

Considering that people buy the handmade cards out of paper means people must really like your creativity, and apparently you have lots of it! You are so talented it seems. Not only do you love to sing, but you even made it into an Honor Choir and made the Cheer Team. That is amazing and is something to be proud of. To me, it seems like your friends may be jealous if anything. Because I'd be more than happy to be friends with someone like you. You seem nice, talented and creative.

Remember that your talents and traits are something to be cherished; they're a part of you. So are your hobbies because they are things you enjoy that make you happy. No one should tell you that you're weird simply because of what hobbies you are into. True friends will care about you and treat you with respect, which is what you deserve. Perhaps you could branch out to those at your Cheer Team or Honor Choir, as well as those in your school to make new friends?

Don't forget that you're wonderful exactly how you are, so don't change for anyone else, okay? You're awesome, Anne. Take care and stay strong!

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son,
that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
~ John 3:16 (KJV)

Last edited by Nala; April 18th 2017 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Typo

(#5 (permalink)) Old
The Darkness Online
Nothing Began Everything
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Raphael

Re: Is this dumb? - April 18th 2017, 05:51 AM

Honestly Anne, you're friends are the dumb ones. How can they say you, so interesting with all these likes and hobbies, be annoying or weird? You're friends need to grow up and realize you're a great person with cool hobbies and interests.
Sorry this is happening to you. Know that even though people think that about you you are worth more than that and just because they don't like or understand your tastes doesn't mean you are anything less.

THE POINT OF SINGULARITY IS NOTHING AS NOTHING BEGAN EVERYTHING
PULSING IN THE EXPAND CONSUME WITHOUT BARRIER OR BORDER
IT IS DARK BECAUSE IT IS THE DARKNESS IT IS OVER BECAUSE IT IS THE END
THERE IS NO SENTRY BECAUSE NONE DARE APPROACH
IT HAS NEVER BEEN AND IT IS ALL THAT EVER WAS
AT THE CENTER YOU DO NOT FIND THE ANSWER
YOU DO NOT FIND YOURSELF THERE IS NO CENTER AND THERE IS NO YOU THERE IS ONLY MADNESS
WE ARE ALL HERE NOW.
WE ARE ALL HERE.
WE ARE.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Is this dumb? - April 23rd 2017, 10:13 PM

To me it just sounds like you have shitty friends. There's nothing really weird about any of those hobbies, even by general societal standards. If you're losing friends, my guess is that none of those hobbies have anything to do with it. Not saying it's your fault or anything, I wouldn't know, just saying it probably has to do with something else.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Jordioa18 Offline
<3 S. 4/18/15 <3
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jordi

Re: Is this dumb? - April 24th 2017, 12:48 AM

Um, how are these hobbies dumb? People have their own preferences and hobbies and if friends think you're less because they think you have shit hobbies according to their taste, they're shallow people themselves

PSN: jordioa18

If you need help, PM/VM me

<3 S. 4/18/15 <3
You are my everything.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Jordioa18 
Closed Thread