TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Travel and Moving Whether you're going somewhere new for a few days or packing up your bags to relocate permanently, gain insight on various parts of the world from other users who have been there before!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
CrystalJade Offline
Junior TeenHelper

New apartment, need help ASAP, very urgent!!! - May 17th 2013, 02:29 AM

I just moved into a new apartment and it doesn't have a dead bolt. When we looked at it we asked for one to be put on and the girl said she would try to get one. We moved in and there isn't one on! We've asked for one again and they said they aren't doing them or peepholes anymore because they'll be installing a front entry coded lock for the main entrance to the apartments.

On our first night there we saw a drug deal, there's a lot of shady characters there even though they do 'extensive background checks', tonight the whole complex smelt like weed, and I'm alone nights because my boyfriend works. We don't have a peephole or a deadbolt! I'm worried about my safety and that of my pets. I live in KS. How can I get a deadbolt put on? I'm willing to pay for it too I love this apartment but I need to feel safe, we broke our lease at another place to get this one and get away from mold and bugs. I'm getting sick from stressing so much about this. I'm going to try and card the door tonight to see if I can get in. Please help!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Edward Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Edward

Re: New apartment, need help ASAP, very urgent!!! - May 17th 2013, 04:18 AM

First off, congratulations on moving into a new apartment! I have been paying attention to your situation for a while now, so I can gladly say that you are making progress.

As a tenant, you do have the right to request additional security features for your apartment. I recommend checking your rental agreement about adding, changing, or replacing locks on your doors. Usually there are three possibilities:
  1. You may do so WITHOUT the consent of the landlord or property manager.
  2. You may do so only WITH the consent of the landlord or property manager.
  3. You may not add, change, or replace locks under ANY circumstances.

If you fall under 1, go right ahead and get a deadbolt added. Be sure to provide your landlord or property manager with a key for that deadbolt. If you fall under 2, you can take it up with the landlord or property manager that it was agreed upon that a deadbolt may be added later during the lease period. If they agree to let you add it, great -- give them a key after you added one. If not, explain why you are bent on adding a deadbolt to your door. (Drug deals, shady characters, etc.)

Good luck!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
CrystalJade Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: New apartment, need help ASAP, very urgent!!! - May 17th 2013, 04:31 AM

If I tell them about the drug deals and the drug use I'm afraid it'll get out and someone will try and hurt us. I love this apartment, it's completely redone, has an indoor pool and hot tub, mostly tile, it's just an awesome apartment. I think tomorrow we are going to go in and request they add one or we do and explain why. If they absolutel won't let us then I don't know what to do. There's only two apartments on my floor without a deadbolt, mine is one. When someone's bent on breaking in somewhere they'll most likely get the easiest place, that would be mine or the other persons, it's scary.

I use to run with the type of crowd that I've been seeing here, there have been a few decent looking people but there's just as much scum too. I'm hoping with the renovations it'll bring in more decent people, the apartment complex I'm at is only at about 45% capacity. There's even a pond with geese and ducks! We get all these nice perks for onmy $485/month, this is a great deal.

I'm just not sure how to make them let us have one for sure... We've already asked 2 or 3 times... What if there's nothing in the contract about additional security?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Mahray Offline
Skittles Minion

Regular TeenHelper

Re: New apartment, need help ASAP, very urgent!!! - May 17th 2013, 10:56 AM

If you offer to pay, and give them a copy of the key, then I suspect shouldn't be much of a problem. That way doesn't cost them anything and increases value.

Feel free to email/PM/VM/whatever me if you want. I'll answer as soon as I can.

New blog - http://www.trueartisangsty.com/
Trying to keep it updated more or less daily as I write.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: New apartment, need help ASAP, very urgent!!! - May 18th 2013, 01:30 AM

I would certainly suggest talking to someone in the office about getting a deadbolt installed ASAP. Keep bugging them about it and don't let it go! Explain that you're home by yourself most of the time and would feel much safer if your door had an extra lock just in case. Review your lease and see if you can have it installed on your own if the complex refuses to do it.

When I was in my first apartment, I was stalked by a rather large man. I lived on the first floor of the building and the guy would actually walk past my windows and look into my apartment. One morning, he was actually standing at my front door (he claims he knocked) as I was leaving for my morning grad school classes. Pretty 'convenient' that he knocked while I was getting ready in the morning, right?
I reported him to the office, and asked them to add an extra lock to my door as a safety measure. They added a latch, which wasn't much, but it was something, and it made me feel more at ease. They did it at no cost to me, which was nice as well.
The "creeper" did try to make another move on me, and management ended up evicting him to keep me safe. It was nice that they cared THAT much about my safety. Keep your landlord/management well aware of -anything- that makes you feel uncomfortable. If they suspect something might jeopardize the safety of their tenants, they're more inclined to do something.

For me, no matter how many amenities the apartment complex has, my safety comes above ALL else. It may have a lot of perks for a low price, but if you don't feel safe enough to be able to enjoy them, there's no point in being there. I will willingly pay more rent each month to ensure my safety, rather than taking the cheaper option. (P.S. $485/month?! I'm jealous! We're paying $980/month and very few amenities!)

“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Edward Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Edward

Re: New apartment, need help ASAP, very urgent!!! - May 18th 2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann2012 View Post
I'm just not sure how to make them let us have one for sure... We've already asked 2 or 3 times... What if there's nothing in the contract about additional security?
Are you SURE there is nothing about adding, changing, or replacing locks in your contract? If no, then go ahead and get a deadbolt added, and hand a key over to the property manager or landlord. Again, be sure to read your contract carefully.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
CrystalJade Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: New apartment, need help ASAP, very urgent!!! - May 24th 2013, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardM View Post
Are you SURE there is nothing about adding, changing, or replacing locks in your contract? If no, then go ahead and get a deadbolt added, and hand a key over to the property manager or landlord. Again, be sure to read your contract carefully.
I finally found where it says they have to approve it. They haven't even been in to finish setting up the apartment yet. I feel like a deadbolt is out of the question.

Closed Thread