TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Travel and Moving Whether you're going somewhere new for a few days or packing up your bags to relocate permanently, gain insight on various parts of the world from other users who have been there before!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount19

Edit avatar

Aussieland - September 3rd 2013, 06:58 PM

I've been wanting to go to Australia for many years. It's my third favorite country, after Norway & England. When I was little, I was so intrigued by its people and culture... I actually thought it was on another planet! Actually, I thought anything outside the US was another planet.

I've already taken into consideration the major awake time (48-60 hours going there, can't sleep on planes) and the seasonal difference. It's moderately expensive, the price ranges during one part of the year is a hell lot cheaper (and much better deal!) than another part of the year (like New Year's ).

But I have a lot of questions about it, and I know there's quite a few Aussies on TH! So, yeah, I have questions for you guys... Non-Aussies can answer as well, of course. Just remember, I have done some research. I can just hear a voice saying "silly American lass" with an Aussie accent in my head!

And that's what I mean, do they even say "lass" in Aussieland?

I've long ago decided that I would go to New South Wales... maybe Brisbane & the Gold Coast.

1. What is the best time of the year to be in Aussie?

I really want to go see the New Years Fireworks over Sydney Harbour, though that pushes it a bit because my parents have family come down December 26th and if I want a day or two in Aussie before New Years Eve, I'd have to leave literally in the middle of dinner on the 26th!

But the flight fares are really expensive in December & January! I looked at price ranges between September and July, they get a lot cheaper in May! About a thousand dollars cheaper, maybe a bit more. Plus, the departure times are more flexible.

2. Where in Aussie should I go, within 20 kilometers of Sydney?

I've tried looking up places in Sydney to visit, but there's just so much. Honestly, I don't know anything other than the Harbour and Orchestra House. I love going to museums, parks, walking on trails, shopping.

I would also love to do some sightseeing, either of the city and its surroundings or of nature. Again, the only nature I know of is the Outback and that's thousands of miles away. I don't want to go there.

3. What kind of food do they have in Aussie, specifically the Sydney area?

I've looked up some of the things they've got... Kangaroo meat. What the heck does that even taste like? I'm imagining it to be very chewy and dry. :S They also have prawns, but I think the organs are still attached. I saw a picture, their pointy things and eyes were still there.

If I've got more questions, I'll make a new post.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Thereishope Offline
Skittles Minion & Fish Thrower
I can't get enough

Name: Michael

Re: Aussieland - September 15th 2013, 06:37 AM

Best time of year is I believe around September and such. It's not as hot then if I remember correctly. As far as places to go visit you basically named all those that I could find within that area. There are many others you could visit but they're outside there. As far as food you can find basically just about anything you want. They have most major restaurant chains. Hope this has helped some!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Mahray Offline
Skittles Minion

Regular TeenHelper

Re: Aussieland - September 15th 2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyways and Starlights View Post
Some of us do, yes

Quote:
I've long ago decided that I would go to New South Wales... maybe Brisbane & the Gold Coast.
New South Wales is big. Queensland is even bigger (and better, let's be fair). Just be aware, Sydney to the Gold Coast is at least a day's drive (850km up the coast road, which can get dangerous). But, if you're flying all the way here, then why not catch a plane up? :P

Other big tourist things - Great Barrier Reef is another couple of hours north of Gold Coast. Uluru is in the middle of Australia, another flight.

Quote:
Pretty much right now? Heading into spring, so the temperatures aren't insanely hot or very cold. However, right now in NSW there are stacks of bushfires, it's been a very dry winter. Try to avoid summer, unless you like it to be very hot and possibly stormy (summer here is over Dec/Jan). Although, the fireworks in Sydney are pretty cool!

Quote:
I looked at price ranges between September and July, they get a lot cheaper in May! About a thousand dollars cheaper, maybe a bit more. Plus, the departure times are more flexible.
Sydney in May is generally between about 12 and 20C, with a bit of rain (on average 5 days in the month).

http://www.bom.gov.au/jsp/ncc/cdio/c...izebutt=normal

Quote:
Ummm... Sydney itself stretches for a good 30-40km from the city centre. There are the Blue Mountains in the city (technically), and some nice national parks around. I'm a Queenslander though, so can't help you much

Quote:
You name it, you can find it. From really high end to really cheap. Aussies eat all sorts of ethnic foods as well.

Roo meat is really really lean, a little bit gamey red meat. If it's cooked well (which means it shouldn't be more than rare), not chewy at all. Possum meat is also quite nice :P Prawns are a bit of a national thing. You tend to get them cooked and cold, then peel them yourself (rip the head off, pull the shell and legs off, strip out the vein along the back - then eat!). Fresh prawns from the trawler are just something else.

Feel free to email/PM/VM/whatever me if you want. I'll answer as soon as I can.

New blog - http://www.trueartisangsty.com/
Trying to keep it updated more or less daily as I write.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
I'm sorry you lost.
TeenHelp Addict

Re: Aussieland - September 16th 2013, 08:07 AM

Oh oh oh, pick me, pick me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyways and Starlights View Post
I've not come across anyone who says it, but that's not to say no one does.

Quote:
So, it makes me excited that you're considering coming to Australia, especially around my area. If you make it out this way, you should definitely come and visit me. And if you want to head up Queensland way, you should check out the Great Barrier Reef and some of the theme parks, like Wet'n'Wild (although if you wait long enough there'll be one of those in Sydney anyway) and Dreamworld.

Quote:
It depends what you're looking for. I'd say avoid winter (June-August) because winter in Australia, at least in my area, tends to be pretty boring; not much snow but lots of rain and winds. Summer is pretty wild; we're already getting bushfires and it's only spring! Summer is also when people tend to travel so it's fairly expensive. So I'm going to agree with the others and say spring, so around now.

Quote:

I've tried looking up places in Sydney to visit, but there's just so much. Honestly, I don't know anything other than the Harbour and Orchestra House. I love going to museums, parks, walking on trails, shopping.

I would also love to do some sightseeing, either of the city and its surroundings or of nature. Again, the only nature I know of is the Outback and that's thousands of miles away. I don't want to go there.
Again, it depends - in this case on what you mean by 'Sydney'. If you're talking about the CBD, then 20 kms away from that is probably still in Sydney. As for places to visit, well, there's a lot. You seem to enjoy a lot of the same things I do, so I'll see if I can help.

There's the usuals: Opera House, Harbour Bridge, etc. I would really recommend heading over to Darling Harbour; it's pretty there, and it's also got a lot of attractions: the Aquarium, Powerhouse Museum (one of my favourite museums, I love it), the Maritime Museum, the Wildlife World. If you head over to Circular Quay you can go to the Museum of Contemporary Art (I was there last month, it's pretty interesting). There's also things like boat rides, and the atmosphere around that way is pretty nice.

If you're heading around that way, you may as well also go to Taronga Zoo (if you're interested). It's a nice ferry ride over, and the zoo itself is pretty impressive. There are also quite a few museums in the Sydney area; as I said before the Powerhouse is definitely a favourite, but you can also go to ones like the Australian Museum, the Art Gallery, and the Observatory.

As for nature, the Botanic Gardens is probably worth a look. However, if you're looking for walking trails, I am going to definitely recommend that you try to make your way to the Blue Mountains. It's not quite in Sydney, but you can get there by train, and it's beautiful. There are plenty of walking tracks, and if you go that way you can check out Echo Point, the Three Sisters, and the Scenic Railway, among other things. I absolutely adore that area, although I may be a little bit biased.

Quote:

I've looked up some of the things they've got... Kangaroo meat. What the heck does that even taste like? I'm imagining it to be very chewy and dry. :S They also have prawns, but I think the organs are still attached. I saw a picture, their pointy things and eyes were still there.
Okay. There's not really any such thing as 'Australian cuisine'. I for one have never eaten kangaroo, or crocodile, or anything like that. Sydney's pretty multicultural, so chances are whatever you want to eat, you can find it; depending on the area you're likely to find a lot of Thai or Indian or various other things. But if you're around the Harbour area, seafood is a big thing. Prawns, fish, oysters, whatever. It's worth a try, if you're around there.

All right. That's it for me now, I think. If you ever want to talk about it, feel free to get in touch. I've lived in Australia my whole life, so I like to think I know a bit about the place.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount19

Edit avatar

Re: Aussieland - September 17th 2013, 03:48 PM

Thank you, Chess!

I will definitely send you a PM.

Closed Thread