TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Travel and Moving Whether you're going somewhere new for a few days or packing up your bags to relocate permanently, gain insight on various parts of the world from other users who have been there before!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Modes of transportation - May 6th 2015, 01:22 AM

SOOOOO.

I am going to be taking trains and buses A LOT this summer, and maybe for the rest of my college career, who knows.

PROBLEM IS, I've never been on either of these by myself before.

I tried going on a bus today and went on the completely wrong bus.

SO how do I know if I'm on the right bus/train? How do I know where to get off? When do I give the bus driver money? When do I present the train ticket to someone? Errrr. I am clueless, help me.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
RadioSerenade Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: The Limelighter

Re: Modes of transportation - May 6th 2015, 02:47 AM

I am not from the United States but normally they have a guide as to which buses you need to catch and which platforms you need to be on. You can also simply ask the driver or one of the station managers. You don't have to present your ticket to someone unless you get asked to, by a policeman or by a ticket inspector.

You can give the bus driver money as soon as you step on, but ask them where the bus is going, first. Example, "do you stop near the ANZ Stadium?" If they says yes, then they will have a tonne of change in front of them and you just hand him the money. He'll then give you a little paper ticket. Also, just a little bit of a quick tip, make sure you have some music with you when you are catching the bus because they can be very loud and wretchy, not a good sound at all!

02425950695064738395657479136519351798334535362521 43003540126026771622672160419810652263169355188780 38814483140652526168785095552646051071172000997092 91249544378887496062882911725063001303622934916080 25459461494578871427832350829242102091825896753560 43086993801689249889268099510169055919951195027887 17830837018340236474548882222161573228010132974509 27344594504343300901096928025352751833289884461508 94042482650181938515625357963996189939679054966380 03222348723967018485186439059104575627262464195387

(#3 (permalink)) Old
*CatchingStars* Offline
Healing my soul
I've been here a while

Name: Corri

Re: Modes of transportation - May 6th 2015, 02:52 AM

There are usually numbers you can call for a bus company and you can give them where you are going and they will tell you what bus number to take and where it stops and stuff. It also helps to ask the bus driver if they are stopping on the certain bus stop near your destination and if not they will tell you what bus will. I took a class on it since I won't be able to drive ever lol. You know where to find me if you have more questions or need clairty.

Life is too

Short to spend

It at war with

Yourself.

Iím catching stars in the sky because I am fixing the soul within me. May it be from the heart a girl broke years ago or my soul simply repairing itself as it was shattered on my walk on this earth. May the stardust fill those cracks within my soul making me brand new, but never forgetting who I once was.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: Modes of transportation - May 6th 2015, 02:59 AM

For someone who lives in NYC and takes the train and buses all the time, I highly recommend google maps :P Also write things down or record it in some way that you can access without internet, in case you don't have internet! Be aware that buses and trains have two of each type. For instance there's a 6 train that goes uptown and there's a 6 train that goes downtown. Find out the last stop on either direction for the train/bus you're going on so in case you need to ask someone you can be like "is this the side of the platform that goes in the uptown direction to ----?" and that way they can assist you if you're not in the right place.

As for paying the fare, this may be different where I live. For the train there is a place where you can buy the metro card and then you swipe it. For the bus you need to have money already in your card and you insert the metrocard. Or if you have coins you can pay in all coins. If you are going to transfer, you usually gotta let the bus driver know so you can get a paper card and get a free transfer. But again, this is for NYC, so I'm sorry if this does not apply to your state
If you have any more questions let me know :P

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Modes of transportation - May 6th 2015, 10:20 AM

Even though I'm fairly used to catching public transport, my main concern is 'how do I know when to get off?' I'm not sure what it's like over there, but if there is a route map or something, it will show you where all the stops are. What I like to do then, is once I know which one I have to get off at, I look on google maps streetview to see if there is anything that stands out to remind me when to get off, e.g. a certain shop, or a weird looking building, or monument. It's best to look for something a bit of a distance away from the stop, otherwise you might see it and if you're the only one wanting to get off, you might try to get off too late.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: Modes of transportation - May 6th 2015, 02:23 PM

Sorry to double post but for the bus, I would ask the bus driver"does this bus stop on ----?" Then I might ask if tgr bus driver can let me know when that stop is. I would sit in the front by the window to watch the streets. There's also this tape that you press that let's the bus driver know your stop is next. For the train, you just get off and we have announcements for each stop which only started a few years ago. But when I was a kid I would have to stick to the window and just keep watching for the sign that says my stop

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Modes of transportation - May 6th 2015, 07:44 PM

I've done public transport my whole life. In the last year, I've used public transport in probably five states and two countries. Public transport is fabulous. It's cheap, it's convenient, it's environmental, etc. Tips!
1. There are usually maps and guides around the areas that explain it all, and the websites are sometimes good as well!
2. Just be the idiot that asks the bus driver when you're getting on, especially when it's your first time riding the route. As others said, just yell out, "Does this go to ---" when you get on. I'm also willing to talk to strangers if they seem friendly/not scary, but that's just me.
3. If it's a train and you don't have as easy access to a driver or staff, check the signs a billion times before committing, or check out the website long before you arrive so you come prepared and aren't scrambling and having to make quick decisions.
4. Take all the pamphlets you can find that have information and read up on different routes, especially if you know you'll be using that route for a long time. Get really familiar with ones you take frequently, and have an idea of nearby routes in case that one closes for a day.
5. Arrive early. You can always bring a snack, book, or use your smart phone if you get to a place early, but being late is much worse, and sometimes uncontrollable events happen that make it that a bus or train is going to be late.
6. Google Maps is your friend. Their bus directions are good in big cities (it's how I survived in San Francisco and New York) but not always the best on smaller routes.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said ďit hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
MyVisionIsDying Offline
Talk Nerdy To Me.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Shane

Re: Modes of transportation - May 6th 2015, 07:57 PM

Although I usually pretty much walk everywhere, I do have some experience using public transport because having to get further into the city is much more of a problem when walking.

I'm sure that near a bus stop or train station there'll be maps of bus routes or train lines and the stops will be listed on the map, it's probably helpful to memorize the stops if your destination isn't that far or if it is, then try to remember a stop or few before. You could also ask the bus driver where they are heading and they'll be able to tell you if they are heading to your destination or near it. Also checking to see if the bus (and train or just public transport in general) company has a website is a good way to check where buses and trains are headed to. Also, whenever I take the bus, there's an automated announcer that announces which stop is coming up next- there's no doubt that other buses may have a similar thing too.

For paying the fare? Usually you hand the bus driver the money when you first get on but where I live they don't do that anymore so we swipe a card on a designated spot by the driver's cab- it's also a similar thing with trains, swipe the card on the spot or you buy a ticket to put through some thing and it pops up so you can retrieve it. However, I'm not sure what other public transport systems are like because I'm familiar with London's transport but I'm sure that there isn't much difference!
There's also probably some information online via public transport websites and such and I think they have explanations for those things as well. ^^

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Ariel287 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Modes of transportation - May 20th 2015, 12:09 PM

It's always good to have information on schedules, routes from the local authority office. Or you could find a bus route map at the local bus depot or on the internet. It's better to have you gps turned on to check for the bus stop you need (a test for the first time) so you won't miss your stop. Before geting on the bus check if your bus goes in the right direction you need. If you have doubts you can always ask people around you or a bus driver during a bus stop (don't bother him when he's driving)

read my reviews on essaywolves.com

(#10 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: Modes of transportation - May 28th 2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
SO how do I know if I'm on the right bus/train?
You first figure out what bus number will take you to your desired location, and you will know because it will say on the bus itself. You will also know you're at the right stop because there will a sign next to the stop stating what busses stop at that particular stop.

Quote:
How do I know where to get off?
Know what stop you need to get off at. Once you know, either your bus will already stop there because it's apart of the route or you pull the string on the bus and it will alert the bus driver to stop at the next bus stop. Often times if no one is waiting at that particular stop the driver will keep driving, unless you pull the bell.

Quote:
When do I give the bus driver money?
Right when you get on

Quote:
When do I present the train ticket to someone?
Usually someone comes around and checks you have a ticket. I think?

My suggestion to you, get a bus schedule. Then, map out the route you will need to take. I suggest taking the bus on your route a few times before you actually need to use it so you can get a feel for how the bus works. Also, at the bus station there should be a customer service person that you can ask all these questions to

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
Closed Thread