TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Travel and Moving Whether you're going somewhere new for a few days or packing up your bags to relocate permanently, gain insight on various parts of the world from other users who have been there before!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Shipping vs. repurchasing? - July 24th 2015, 10:53 PM

Hey all, as some of you know, I'm moving across the country. There are a few items that I already own that I will need once I move (things like blankets, a lounging chair, a standing lamp, laundry baskets, etc). However, it's looking like it may be cheaper to just buy them again once I move instead of shipping them. As an environmentalist (and somebody who gets too attached to items especially when they're my teal cute ones ) this really annoys me, haha. Many of these are things I will need in my apartment, and it irks me that in one month I'd be selling and then repurchasing the same item. I just want to be able to ship a few larger items to my next home. Granted, shipping requires gas, but at least it wouldn't be another unnecessary plastic item to be molded, you know? None of these items weigh very much, but they'd be too bulky to try to do as a checked bag or something. Does anybody know of a cheap way to ship a few things across the United States? I may try Greyhound, but I've never used them for shipping, just for traveling. Any experience with them? Other companies? Or should I just suck it up, try to sell the items here, and buy them again?

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

Re: Shipping vs. repurchasing? - July 28th 2015, 09:28 AM

Hey Traci,

I don't know a lot about shipping in the US but I can offer some suggestions. Is there a company in the US that packs a truck of items and travels to a certain area? Like, car pooling but putting items in a truck and your things are labeled and the truck travels to other states dropping off items for others and then yours? Not sure if there is such a thing in the US.

Greyhound is another option. I know here in Canada the Greyhound has a bit of issues with losing items and not sure if the Greyhound in the US has any reports of peoples things gone missing. Greyhound is the more cheaper route to ship items. If you go Greyhound make sure you have your contact information on every item.

Another idea is, do you know if family or friends are going out there in the near future? They could help bring some things with them to you.

You can purchase the odd things like:
  • tooth brush/tooth paste
  • brush/comb
  • shampoo
  • toiletries
Those things you can easily purchase when you arrive so it's not taking up room in your bag.

Are any of your items can you remove the screws to any table or night stands? If you can you can break them down like that and put them in your bag when you travel. It's less bulky and it might be heavier.

I hope this is helpful.
Take Care.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: Shipping vs. repurchasing? - July 28th 2015, 01:38 PM

I don't have a lot of advice even though I moved so recently, i happened to have moved a block away (literally)
Being an environmentalist type person too, I can hear you with this. However, I don't think keeping things due to environmental reasons is necessary. There may be ways to give things away, sell things, exchange things, or recycle them.
In my city there has been events such as stop and swap and free-cycle
I don't know how much time you have to dedicate to this, but if not perhaps having a yard sale/garage sale or something of that sort?
When my family and I moved as an emergency sort of reason, we had to leave in the middle of the night and there was no chance to even turn back. My dad stayed behind and ended up putting everything in storage without sorting through anything because there was no time to. It was a *lot* of things and some heavy things too so I'm sure it's do-able. We moved from Montreal to NY though so I'm not sure how relevant since that's a much shorter distance but it is crossing borders. So yeah, storage and then moving company I believe...maybe you can try that for the big items.
Another thing is looking into those dorming site discounts if you repurchase. Okay don't quote me on this but I think it *might* be cheaper because there's discounts for students. Such sites like http://www.dormco.com/
I'm sorry I don't have more advice...the times I've moved have been such rare cases that it's hard to give practical sounding advice. Best of luck though!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: Shipping vs. repurchasing? - July 28th 2015, 09:08 PM

If you do end up having to buy a whole load of new things, try to source them from charity shops, from buy and sell pages on facebook (I know my city has one) or you might be able to find people giving stuff away for free (again, facebook). That way even though you're getting 'new' things at least you're giving home to old things so they don't get binned.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

Closed Thread