TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Travel and Moving Whether you're going somewhere new for a few days or packing up your bags to relocate permanently, gain insight on various parts of the world from other users who have been there before!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ella. Offline
Average Joe

Name: Elise

Question Moving to Australia, don't know how to deal with it? - October 2nd 2010, 01:27 PM

Hello, I'm 15 years old, from the UK, and moving with my family to Brisbane next summer.

I don't know why but I'm just really confused about moving? Like I want to move because I know that I don't want to stay in this country, and I know that after secondary school I will probably lose contact with most of my friends. I'm also sad about leaving family but for some reason I just can't deal with the whole situation and I don't know why!

I don't like to talk about moving when my family's talking about it and I get really annoyed when my sister will bring it up and stuff like that?

Has this happened to anyone in a similiar situation, or is it happening to anyone at the moment?

I just don't know what to do!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Moving to Australia, don't know how to deal with it? - October 4th 2010, 03:32 PM

Hey Elise,

I've moved around to different countries a lot for my dads job so i know how you feel. It's difficult at first, i won't lie. the first few weeks you will miss your old friends but there will be so many opportunities to meet new people. My advice would be to get yourself out there and be proactive about making new friends. Are you going to school over there or college?

Stay in contact with all your old friends and obviously your family members back in the UK. you can Skype, email, phone, facebook, etc. If you're moving next summer you've got a while to plan everything. Have you been to Brisbane before? Look up online what's going on out there.. if you have any hobbies that you want to carry on over there find somewhere to join.

But most of all enjoy the experience, you'll have loads of fun making a new life for yourself. see it as a new start, it's really exciting!

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Ella. Offline
Average Joe

Re: Moving to Australia, don't know how to deal with it? - October 4th 2010, 09:13 PM

thanks for replying

yes i will be going to school there, i think i will be joining half way through year 10 which is another worry haha :/

yeah i went last summer to Brisbane, it seemed nice

I don't know because I want to go but I guess it's just scary thinking about it and actually realising it's real! :P

Thanks again

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Visionary
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Re: Moving to Australia, don't know how to deal with it? - October 5th 2010, 11:05 AM

Brisbane? Lucky. It's miserable down here in Victoria. :P
QLD is a lovely place, especially the South-Eastern area. I personally love it up there.
Hey, you mightn't be comfortable moving to Australia, but I can tell you, Brissy is the capital you'd want to be in.

One million miles away...

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Ella. Offline
Average Joe

Re: Moving to Australia, don't know how to deal with it? - October 5th 2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Mr. Self Destruct~ View Post
QLD is a lovely place, especially the South-Eastern area. I personally love it up there.
Hey, you mightn't be comfortable moving to Australia, but I can tell you, Brissy is the capital you'd want to be in.
thanks for replying

sounds good! i liked it when we went there! just dont know how to deal with the whole concept of moving :/

(#6 (permalink)) Old
CoffeeAddict Offline
legen..wait for it..DARY
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Steph

Re: Moving to Australia, don't know how to deal with it? - October 5th 2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Mr. Self Destruct~ View Post
Yeah, Victoria tends to have 4 seasons in one day O_O But I believe at the moment Brisbane is experiencing some serious summer weather lol. Queensland is such a beautiful place, the beaches are amazing and the people there are great. If your family wanna go do some touristy (not a word I know :P) things I would definitely recommend going to the Whitsundays, the water is so beautiful and you can go scuba diving!

Who do you carry that torch for, my young man?
Do you believe in anything?
Or do you carry it around just to burn things down?

Meet me tonight on the turnpike my darling,
where we believe in everything.
If we sweat all these debts then we're sure to drown,
so let's strap ourselves up to this engine now
with our God who we found laying under the back seat.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

Re: Moving to Australia, don't know how to deal with it? - October 5th 2010, 07:48 PM

I'm moving to Brisbane next Feb / March ... depending on if I get a place at uni there. It's something I want to do because I'm in desperate need of a HUGE new start. But I know exactly how you feel. Moving terrifies me. Leaving friends and family, and pacigng up my life will be awful. But I know it'll be OK in the end.
I'm sure you'll be fine when it comes to it. It's scary now but it'll be amazing when you get there!!

You can't move mountains by whispering at them.

Take a look at my art here:
http://attemptedart.tumblr.com/

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Ella. Offline
Average Joe

Re: Moving to Australia, don't know how to deal with it? - October 5th 2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeAddict View Post
Yeah, Victoria tends to have 4 seasons in one day O_O But I believe at the moment Brisbane is experiencing some serious summer weather lol. Queensland is such a beautiful place, the beaches are amazing and the people there are great. If your family wanna go do some touristy (not a word I know :P) things I would definitely recommend going to the Whitsundays, the water is so beautiful and you can go scuba diving!

thanks for the recommendation! ;D

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Ella. Offline
Average Joe

Re: Moving to Australia, don't know how to deal with it? - October 5th 2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic. View Post
I'm moving to Brisbane next Feb / March ... depending on if I get a place at uni there. It's something I want to do because I'm in desperate need of a HUGE new start. But I know exactly how you feel. Moving terrifies me. Leaving friends and family, and pacigng up my life will be awful. But I know it'll be OK in the end.
I'm sure you'll be fine when it comes to it. It's scary now but it'll be amazing when you get there!!
Yeah same here :/
Thanks I hope so! and good luck to you on the move

Closed Thread