TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Travel and Moving Whether you're going somewhere new for a few days or packing up your bags to relocate permanently, gain insight on various parts of the world from other users who have been there before!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Reflections Offline
Alice
Average Joe

Name: Alice

Canada to... - November 12th 2010, 03:50 PM

Hey guys =D It's Alice again.

I posted a LONG time ago about going to New Jersey, and well, ya, it was a long time ago. Now it's this summer, and I've saved for 150$ worth. I'm so fcking excited! I can't wait I'm just a little nervous. Not about meeting my bff's for the first time ever, just... Traveling that far xD

I've flown half across Canada, like 3 times, but never to the states. So I'm a little anxious about that. I'm also terrified! of planes xD But I really wanna go meet them, and honestly, if I die, I die happy =D

What should I bring?

Also, gift ideas. I need gifts for a writer, and an artist. =D
One loves to write and take pictures, the other loves to draw and write. So I need gifts for the writer and the drawer(?) =D
  Send a message via MSN to Reflections  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Canada to... - November 12th 2010, 05:57 PM

Maybe a stationary thing, and a painting set? It needs to be small though to fit on the plane :P

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Obliviate Offline
Mother of Dragons
I've been here a while

Re: Canada to... - November 14th 2010, 02:41 PM

uhmmm.... how about a really nice sketch pad and a diary ?
oorrrr for collections of poems for the writer and collections of painting/drawings for the arty one
i dont know :')

(#4 (permalink)) Old
fresco Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Sam

Re: Canada to... - November 14th 2010, 04:05 PM

Oh hey! I live in NJ and have been to Canada a total of one times.

I've been on planes a bunch though. I've flown internationally most of those times. It's kind of exciting. The plane starts moving slow and you can only really tell it's moving faster than you think because things are kinda flying past you. Then you can feel the speed. And then it ascends, like at a noticeable angle. The feeling is kinda WHOA and your ears might get that unclear, uncomfortable feeling like they may pop. Finally the plane gets to a favorable elevation and you stay stable for the most part. Turbulence may make things a little shaky but I don't think you should expect a lot of it. It shouldn't be different from the other flights you've endured.

How long is the flight going to be?

It's gonna be reaaally loud in the plane. Like you get used to it pretty quickly but I had to put my mp3 player at a significantly higher volume than I'm used to. Arm room is a little limited and sleeping...some people do it and when the airplane people expect you to be sleeping they may turn all the lights off lol. It's not so comfortable though. They may provide pillows but if you want to sleep bring your own! It's smart to bring a sweater too because in my experience airplanes are normally cooler than room temperature.

As for other things to bring with you, be sure to take travel-size portions of everything. I think if a container contains more than about 6 oz. then it is automatically discarded? Don't quote me on that! Don't bring a big bottle of anything with you. Safety is really big for entering the US since 9/11. So...obviously no knives or scissors or anything that could be in any way interpreted as a weapon.

I think good presents would be supplies to help them with their respective talent. For the artist I think a sketchbook is a really good gift. I go through sketchbooks like crazy haha. I don't know what would be good for the writer though. Stationery should be good though I think!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Reflections Offline
Alice
Average Joe

Re: Canada to... - November 16th 2010, 11:52 AM

Great ideas guys! Just one question I'm a little un clear about. what's a stationary? I was thinking a sketch book for Am, so that's good.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Jas Offline
aka Xamed
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Canada to... - November 16th 2010, 01:47 PM

Don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but 150 dollars isn't going to get you very far? Or do you mean in addition to the plane tickets? (Still won't get you very far unless you aren't staying long, don't have to pay for any additional travel or accommodation, eating the cheapest things available and not bringing home a lot of stuff.)

Anyway, as far as what to bring - do you mean on the plane or to the states or on the trip? There's not much difference between New Jersey and most of Canada, I doubt you'd need anything out of the ordinary for traveling.

Hope you have a lovely trip.

(Stationery is a general term for writing and other office materials. She probably meant a nice set of paper.)

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Reflections Offline
Alice
Average Joe

Re: Canada to... - November 16th 2010, 03:52 PM

Alright, that's what I thought.

As for 150$ I calculated and the plane tickets together(there and back) are only going to be 214, before tax. And I'm alreadt 150$ so I thik I'm doing really well. I know it won't buy much as is, but it will lol. I'm getting a job so to be able to buy them stuff.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Jas Offline
aka Xamed
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Canada to... - November 16th 2010, 05:40 PM

The taxes and fees associated with airfare are going to be over 100 by themselves.
Like I said, don't want to be a downer, I just want to make sure you won't get there and have no money in your pocket! (I've been there, done that, and going broke while traveling is NOT fun.)
I think it's a good plan to get a job for this, you've got plenty of time to save up if you're going next summer.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Canada to... - November 17th 2010, 05:13 PM

Yeah I meant some nice paper, and pencils and stuff. Haha, sorry for not being clear

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Reflections Offline
Alice
Average Joe

Re: Canada to... - November 18th 2010, 11:49 AM

Alright, that sounds great! I'm going to be sending them both a letter soon

Thanks for the ideas guys
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Canada to... - November 18th 2010, 11:54 AM

I don't know a lot about Air travel buuuut..

Perhaps you could buy a really nice photo album for the one who likes to take pictures. I also agree with Britt about the stationary and painting sets

Closed Thread