TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Travel and Moving Whether you're going somewhere new for a few days or packing up your bags to relocate permanently, gain insight on various parts of the world from other users who have been there before!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
<3
Regular TeenHelper

Moving Day - July 5th 2011, 08:36 AM

Today, I move out of my Mom's house in a quiet town, and into my Dad's apartment in a big city. And I guess I'm anxious.

It's a big change. I used to live in Ft. Worth for 13 years, so that's not what scares me. I am worried about driving in higher level traffic though. I learned how to drive in Duncan, which is a town of around 20,000 ppl. But it doesn't seem like that much. There's no way to get lost here. But the city has a lot of highways and side roads. Thankfully I have a GPS.

But I think the things that scare me the most are having an anxiety attack. I wasn't too anxious until this week or so- which is probably due to the excitement of moving (which, I am excited- don't get me wrong.) but my counselor is here in Duncan and my Mom, a big pillar of support is here too. And I don't really like talking to my Dad about that kind of stuff. Of course, I can call my mom and talk to her when I'm feeling bad. and I'm only about an hour away.

But it's also gonna be awkward to live with my Dad because I've been living with my mom for 5 years (only seeing Dad every other weekend) and even before they divorced I didn't get to see my Dad that much because he was working two jobs. Lol basically he was lucky and got to miss out on the worst bouts of my puberty.

Another thing that bothers me is that I'm also leaving my animals behind. My old dog, my other dog, and my ferret. I guess it makes me feel sad because I know they won't understand what's going on. And I won't get to see them everyday. I won't have a ferret sleeping in my room and an old dog snoring in his sleep. There won't be any animals at my Dad's. He can't have dogs or cats because of the apartment. Lol I'd love to talk him into getting something like a rat, bird, or reptile. Don't know if he would go for that, because he didn't seem super enthused about it before. Lol I just don't like staying in a house with no animals. He won't let me bring the ferret (too stinky; plus technically he's my Mom's.)

I'll be living with him for 2 years while I go to community college and get a job. I'm really excited about the move because college will be a whole new experience and there will be more job opportunities (as well as more dating opportunities <3) Guess I'm just nervous right now.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
oOo.NICKI.oOo Offline
Average Joe

Name: Nicki

Re: Moving Day - July 5th 2011, 09:36 PM

First of all, good luck with the move!! I can't say that I've ever moved homes, but I have lived on-campus at university and lived in a foreign country away from my family, so I understand it can be a big change.

Also, I completely understand about the whole driving thing. I use my GPS all the time. I'm the worst person at directions ever, so it comes in handy. Thankfully you have one, so in case you do get lost, you can always find your way back haha.

When I studied abroad I used to call and Skype my Mum all the time, so that's definitely a possibility. Hopefully you'll be able to make time to visit her as well. This move could even strengthen your relationship with your Mum.

I think moving in with your Dad is just going to take some time to adjust. Once you settle in I'm sure you won't even remember what you were so anxious about. I'd say just give it time and stay positive and I'm sure everything will work out great. Maybe after some time goes by, you can talk to your Dad about getting another pet. I'm sure this experience will be an adjustment for him as well, so maybe once things settle into place, he'll be more willing to get a small pet.

Again, good luck with the move and with college I'm sure you'll do great!

Send a message via MSN to oOo.NICKI.oOo Send a message via Yahoo to oOo.NICKI.oOo  
Closed Thread