TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Film and Television Whether you're a film buff or just want to talk about your favorite television show, this forum is for you.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
FallonRose Offline
Mind Mischief
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Fallon

13 Reasons Why - April 1st 2017, 03:47 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Not sure how many people are familiar with the book Thirteen Reasons Why, but it was picked up as a Netflix original and it premiered today! So far I've watched 3 episodes and I'm in love. It's been a couple years since I've read the book so I don't really know how close they are in similarity but I am still enjoying the TV adaption! Though it can be extremely triggering for some, I hope those of you who aren't bothered by the plot line give it a try; it's beautifully written and portrayed. Let me know your thoughts!

Live Help Mentor 4/29/2017
Message me if you need anything.

Users of TeenHelp have rated post 1281931 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Alto. Offline
Come as you are
Senior TeenHelper

Re: 13 Reasons Why - April 1st 2017, 06:02 AM

I didn't know that Netflix was making a series of it! I read that book in early high school, so it's been a few years, but I loved it! Definitely does have the potential to be triggering through, so use caution when watching it.

For those who have not read the book or watched the series, Thirteen Reasons Why is a book about a young woman's suicide. The story is told through her words and seen through the eyes of one of her classmates. This novel does not shy around the reality of suicide or the situations in life that may cause one to take that option. For those who are potentially triggered by the mention of suicide, I highly advise you to not read this book or watch the series.

wanderer come home
you're not too far
lay down your hurt, lay down your heart
come as you are.

VM | PM

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: 13 Reasons Why - April 1st 2017, 10:16 AM

I'm almost done watching it on Netflix. It's been a few years since I've read the book, so I don't remember every detail. I did listen to the audiobook while doing dishes in my college apartment a few years ago, so I remember enough.

There's quite a lot of changes from the book. Normally when a book is adapted into a movie this means they cut out scenes/storylines/characters/etc, but for 13 Reasons Why they actually added a lot (I guess it's easier to add things when it's roughly 13 hours of content). We get to see a little more about how other characters are dealing with things in the present, including Hannah's parents. It's one of the few adaptations where I think the changes make it better, though my favorite experience with this book is still the audiobook. One thing I found interesting was that they gave Clay a cut on his forehead to help distinguish flashbacks from the present, it was very helpful. Unless something totally unexpected happens in the last couple episodes this is one of my favorite book adaptations, changes and all.

There's definitely triggering material. If you're triggered by mention of suicide, scenes of bullying, sexual assault, grieving, etc. then you may want to skip the show. If you're not sure if you'll get triggered, you may want to read the book first. The book is still triggering but it might be easier when there's no images attached. The episodes with rape have a disclaimer in the beginning, however there are still instances of things like someone touching a girl's butt without permission that some may find triggering.

EDIT: If you're AT ALL triggered by suicide, I have to recommend not watching the last episode.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

Last edited by Nightblood.; April 1st 2017 at 12:23 PM.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: 13 Reasons Why - April 1st 2017, 01:58 PM

I just started watching the first episode today at like 4:30 am...so I couldn't really concentrate. I tried reading the book when I was in high school but I hated reading back ten. So when I get money for some kindle books I'm going to buy it and read it again.

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability, Good Days, Friends & Family|
|PM/VM|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: 13 Reasons Why - April 1st 2017, 06:02 PM

I started watching it a bit last night. However, I had something else on my mind, so I wasn't able to fully pay attention, and it looks like something I could love. So I will definitely try watching it again!

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#6 (permalink)) Old
FallonRose Offline
Mind Mischief
Junior TeenHelper

Re: 13 Reasons Why - April 2nd 2017, 11:31 PM

i'm really glad to hear everyone else is enjoying it! I'm on episode 9 right now and I'm going to be very sad when it ends. I've cried like 5 times but I love love love it.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: 13 Reasons Why - April 2nd 2017, 11:37 PM

I saw a commercial for this early last week but I didn't know about it before then. I read the book several years ago so I don't remember it all that much. I am definitely planning on watching it, but I'm not sure when I will be able to. I bet I'll like it though.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: 13 Reasons Why - April 3rd 2017, 07:28 PM

I haven't gotten around to watching it yet, but I loved the book when I read it in high school. I'm glad to hear everyone else seems to be loving it! Hopefully that means Netflix is doing the story justice.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#9 (permalink)) Old
FallonRose Offline
Mind Mischief
Junior TeenHelper

Re: 13 Reasons Why - April 4th 2017, 02:17 AM

There's been a lot of shared statuses on Facebook about the episodes that contain particularly graphic scenes of rape and sexual assault so I figured I would let others know in this thread know that episode 9, 12, and 13 contain these scenes as far as I can remember, though they do warn you before the episode starts.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
nothereanymore Offline
I can't get enough

Re: 13 Reasons Why - April 6th 2017, 05:51 PM

I LOST it at Clay's tape. The whole thing was incredibly well done.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Matter Offline
The Space Essence
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sue

Re: 13 Reasons Why - April 6th 2017, 08:19 PM

I see that most people here enjoyed the books, but I personally didn't. I probably wouldn't have read it at all if it had been my choice, but we had that project at school two years ago that required reading a few books recommended by my classmates. And I picked 13 Reasons Why since I had thought it might get me interested.
Well I was very disappointed by it and I have to highlight that I'm not triggered by topics connected to suicide so it wasn't the suicide element that I disliked in this novel. It might have been the style of writing that didn't appeal to me, I don't really remember.
I don't want to discourage anyone from reading it, absolutely not! Every novel is an experience after all. Despite the fact that I didn't like it I'm glad there are so many people who enjoyed it.

Life begins where fear ends

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Sophrosyne Offline
The Cute Half

I can't get enough

Name: Raven

Re: 13 Reasons Why - April 6th 2017, 11:00 PM

I haven't read it, but I recently just watched the tv show and if you are in any way affected by self harm and suicide, do not watch the last episode. For the second last episode, it has a quite graphic rape scene along with one of the other episodes so if you are affected by rape I wouldn't recommend watching those either. I had to stop the last episode and do something else for ages because it is seriously bad though. The rest of the show is good and I did enjoy it, but just stay safe while watching it.

Senior HelpLINK Mentor | Forum Moderator
Clothed in strength and dignity,
and laughs without fear of the future.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: 13 Reasons Why - April 18th 2017, 02:36 AM

I kind of watched this at a weird time and some things resonated with me in a way that they may not have otherwise. While my friend is not in the same situation as Hannah, some of the signs and things said just kind of reminded me of her.

They do show her suicide and the scene actually made me nauseous because of how graphic it was. I wasn't triggered to self harm by it but I definitely can see people being triggered by it, as well as a few other scenes. Any of the episodes that have graphic depictions have warnings at the beginning which I do appreciate, however.

I did enjoy it but of course I liked the book better. But I actually got really into it and binge watched it between yesterday and today and finished the series up.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Jordioa18 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jordi

Re: 13 Reasons Why - April 23rd 2017, 10:41 PM

Started to watch it and at the tail end of episode 3

I'm intrigued by the story (Never read the book) and am excited how it goes (Don't spoil or you'll be on the list *clicks pen* (Chris Jericho reference, not from this series)). I wish I could submit some commentary about it from a guys point of view though

PSN: jordioa18

If you need help, PM/VM me
  Send a message via Skype™ to Jordioa18 
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: 13 Reasons Why - April 24th 2017, 12:16 AM

Sorry in advance because I'm not doing spoilers. The title itself is enough to say there may be some.

I read the book when I was a teenager and I watched the majority of the series recently. I did not care for the book when I read it as a teenager and I still don't care for it now - in any form. The fact that the series shows someone's suicide as deeply affecting an entire town is highly inaccurate, misleading, and problematic. It's correct in portraying that someone's suicide doesn't just affect the person who dies by it, but an entire town is never changed like that. The majority of people will move on and probably not think much of the person after, say, a few months. Not to say those close to the person aren't deeply affected, but I just find it inaccurate.

The general message I got when I read the book and watched the series was that someone's suicide can be some huge thing that gets an entire town thinking about them and suicide/depression in general. If this were true, we'd hardly have the suicide rate that we have and there would be much less of them by now having had a person die by suicide and get things rolling. It also sends the message that those 13 other people are the reason she killed herself. Sure, anyone can contribute to someone feeling terrible. But only one person had control over whether Hannah lived or killed herself, and that was Hannah herself.

This series has managed to glamorise and romanticise suicide/self harm when a good percentage of the viewers are already impressionable and possibly experiencing suicidal thoughts. So, telling these viewers that their suicide could send a message to the people who hurt them is problematic and misleading. The only people someone's suicide is truly going to effect are the people who loved and cared for them deeply.

Beyond glamorising suicide/self harm, being problematic, inaccurate, and misleading it is irresponsible. Netflix followed pretty much none of the recommendations for the safe portrayal of suicide in the media set by the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. The fact of how graphic some of the scenes are and the fact that the viewing of the show is hardly restricted to younger audiences it's just really not a responsible way to portray the book. I'll honestly be sad to hear about any copy cat suicides of teenagers that got the idea from the series because it could have been prevented had this book been portrayed responsibly. The book by itself made that a risk, but the series intensifies the possibility so much because of the actual visual portrayal.

Sorry this ended up being long, but the book angered me when I was a teenager and the series might actually have angered me a bit more.

“There is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.” — Nikita Gill

4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: 13 Reasons Why - May 7th 2017, 09:34 PM

I am so sorry for necro-ing a post that is on the verge of the fourteen day lock, but I have to say something.

Thirteen Reason Why have apparently been renewed for a season two. WTAF? Can someone tell me how this will work, unless they're planning to show the afterlife? I mean, really. There is someone on my O/L Facebook account (only non-THer) who wanted TRW to be renewed for a season two and she seems to have gotten her wish. It pisses me off that people view this as entertainment, and Hollywood doesn't seem to realize that not only is this disgustingly triggering, but it's all too real for some people.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: 13 Reasons Why - May 7th 2017, 09:51 PM

Based on your reaction, I'm guessing you haven't watched it (which is totally fine, it just makes a second season seem more unrealistic story-wise). It ended in a way that could open another season, with even more of a focus on bullying. I'm actually pretty excited for a second season, because the show did a much better job with developing the characters.

As far as it being triggering, I think it's up to individuals to know what triggers them and be aware when they choose things to watch. Shows and movies and books that have triggering topics, in my opinion, are important to open up conversations.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

Closed Thread