TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Film and Television Whether you're a film buff or just want to talk about your favorite television show, this forum is for you.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

The controversial film with the black princess and the frog - December 17th 2009, 06:43 PM

Do you find this disney film to be racist because half of the film has the
Black princess as a frog??

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Zyzz Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: The controversial film with the black princess and the frog - December 18th 2009, 03:55 AM

i dont see it as racist. i mean if it was a white princess as a frog no one would care. what i think is racist is that everyone is freaking out about it.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: The controversial film with the black princess and the frog - December 18th 2009, 04:16 AM

Are you kidding me? Seriously? This honestly made me laugh hysterically just now.
First it's racist that none of the Disney Princesses are black. Then it's racist because when they finally do have a black princess, she turns into a frog.

I'm not trying to sound racist here myself, but come on. So many people of different races walk around going "oh poor me." and they degrade themselves. They think that people are out to get them 24/7. People say "we're all suppose to be equal in this country" yet they focus so much attention on how degraded they are, so much so that they only degrade themselves.

Wake up - it's the 21st century, you're not in slavery, you're not discriminated against, so stop acting like you're a victim, and realize that there are millions of men that died at war to fight for YOUR freedom. Not black men, white men. And yet you're still sitting here complaining about how a darn Disney movie takes away your equal rights.

I think this is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. I mean, please. This really shows how idiotic America and people can be.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#4 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: The controversial film with the black princess and the frog - December 18th 2009, 04:46 AM

I don't see how this is racist at all. It's just a movie. If it were a white princess that turned into a frog no one would care. The only reason people are making a fuss is because the princess was black. Seriously, there are more important things in life to worry about and be offended by then a movie.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
You’re the diamonds, you’re the pearls
Let’s make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
It’s your future, it’s your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Let’s make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: The controversial film with the black princess and the frog - December 18th 2009, 12:55 PM

I agree with 'if it were a white person nobody would care'. It's fine, people will get over it. It's no big deal. I mean, surely it's good that they are actually having a coloured princess? It will be good for youngsters to grow up watching this kind of film. I'm all for it.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: The controversial film with the black princess and the frog - December 18th 2009, 01:05 PM

This is based the Frog Prince but when she kisses the frog prince she gets turned into a frog too because she isn't a princess. No one is complaining about the white man that is also turned into a frog.

I actually like the fact that the princess is black, it is about time they had a black princess.
I am just waiting for a fat princess now, the current ones are too skinny and perfect. It is unrealistic.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: The controversial film with the black princess and the frog - December 18th 2009, 01:19 PM

Um, no. People assuming that disney only done that because she was black is just making racism worse imo. The colour of someone's skin shouldn't matter. Also, Pocahontas is sometimes on the "disney princess" list and she's black. At least she's on this lineup anyway

http://disney.go.com/princess/#/home/

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
firecracker Offline
Atheist Pagan
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: The controversial film with the black princess and the frog - December 18th 2009, 02:18 PM

Disney princesses are a very controversial topic. I have read a lot of arguments for and against them. Personally, I am against them. Yes, we had Mulan, Pocanhontas and Jasmine. How often do you see them? Pocanhontas and Mulan, hardly ever. Yeah, we see Jasmine, but she isn't really another race, just kinda tan.

My argument with the new one was not that she is black; personally, I think it's about damn time. However, she gets turned into a frog for 9/10s of the movie. What was the point of making her black if you hardly ever see it?

My main grief against the Disney Princesses is feminist. They set an unhealthy body image for one thing. I used to hate my legs because they weren't as perfect as Pocanhontas' and I hated my abs because they weren't flat like Jasmine's. These images are unhealthy to little girls.

Individually, they generally teach bad lessons, in my opinion. Some don't, really. But look at Belle. The Beast is emotionally, mentally and physically abusive. She stays with him because "there must be something more". That teaches little girls from a young age, "even if a guy is awful to you, stay with him, he really does love you." That is horrific.

Also, every Disney princess has to have a prince. Just once, I would like to see a story like Monsters Inc or Toy Story where the main charcters having an awesome, un-romantic adventure are female. The females are restricted to the stories where the men save them in the end, and they marry.

Yeah... just my 2 cents...

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Moyshi Offline
i am jack's smirking revenge
I've been here a while

Re: The controversial film with the black princess and the frog - December 18th 2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rie View Post
I agree with 'if it were a white person nobody would care'. It's fine, people will get over it. It's no big deal. I mean, surely it's good that they are actually having a coloured princess? It will be good for youngsters to grow up watching this kind of film. I'm all for it.
This is pretty much my stand on it. Honestly, it's just a cartoon movie, and the whole point of the plot was to have the princess turn into a frog. I doubt they chose to do this because the princess had a different skin colour. I think people are really over analyzing this.

A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Trickmatic Offline
-
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: The controversial film with the black princess and the frog - December 18th 2009, 09:45 PM

I don't find what the OP said to be racist. I don't think that the fact that the princess being likened to a frog is racist.

I find the fact that the media brings up a headline like "First black princess in Disney movie history!", I think that is racist.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
One of those old people ;)
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Amber

Re: The controversial film with the black princess and the frog - December 18th 2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy. View Post
. Also, Pocahontas is sometimes on the "disney princess" list and she's black. At least she's on this lineup anyway

http://disney.go.com/princess/#/home/

Have you ever actually heard the story of Pocahontas or watched the movie? She is native american...not black. And I love the fact that Disney FINALLY has a black princess...its about time

"omg i might be pregnant!?!?!"

"ok..calm down..pee on your keyboard...nope its negative"

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Re: The controversial film with the black princess and the frog - December 18th 2009, 11:35 PM

I just heard this on a radio station. That some African american group is outrage. Because of how long she was a frog.. I am not racist and whoever brought up that point. Should really read the topic. If I said why is the princess black, I can see your complaint but that's not the deal.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: The controversial film with the black princess and the frog - December 18th 2009, 11:55 PM

Gosh, this is rediculous! How is it racist? It's just people playing the victim =/ And also, it's a fairytale! aimed at children! Children don't discriminate against people because of there race =/ It's just idiotic =/
Seriously, some people just need to grow up =/

And also to the people who dislike the other disney princesses because they're 'too perfect' and similar things, they're fairytales, they aren't supposed to be based on fact, this is why they're perfect, what kind of child would like to read/watch a film about a normal everyday person being a princess? Jeeze.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Lugez Offline
Asshole
Senior TeenHelper

Re: The controversial film with the black princess and the frog - December 19th 2009, 07:04 AM

lol they saying black people are frogs disney is RACIST!!!111

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Re: The controversial film with the black princess and the frog - December 19th 2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.1415926535897 View Post
what kind of child would like to read/watch a film about a normal everyday person being a princess? Jeeze.
I would love to see that!
Most of the Disney princesses were normal everyday people to begin with but just got lucky and married a prince. It wouldn't have hurt to make them look like a tiny bit like the everyday normal people they were meant to be.

I love Disney films and Disney princesses and they never once affected my self image but I would love to see a Disney princess who was even just a little bit chubby.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
I can't get enough

Re: The controversial film with the black princess and the frog - December 19th 2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzmatazz Rach View Post

I would love to see that!
Most of the Disney princesses were normal everyday people to begin with but just got lucky and married a prince. It wouldn't have hurt to make them look like a tiny bit like the everyday normal people they were meant to be.

I love Disney films and Disney princesses and they never once affected my self image but I would love to see a Disney princess who was even just a little bit chubby.
I was on about children though, disneys main audience, you know, 3-8 year olds not 15-20 year olds =/

And most 3-8 year olds would dislike an ordinary, mundane princess.

Plus I see how no one complain about 'prince charming' the perfect man? It's just the same really, yet no one complains about it. I'd say it's similar to how there would be no reaction if it was a white princess that got turned into a frog. To be honest I think some people are just plain silly.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
dancinfool Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: The controversial film with the black princess and the frog - December 19th 2009, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Children don't discriminate against people because of there raceChildren don't discriminate against people because of there race
Seriously? I know some very racist children, who hear and repeat their parents views because they don't know better. The complete lack of non-white people in books and stuff doesn't help (although this is now being rectified).

The link that Ceilidh gave seems to show at least a bit of racial mix amongst disney princesses..

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
I can't get enough

Re: The controversial film with the black princess and the frog - December 19th 2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinfool View Post
Seriously? I know some very racist children, who hear and repeat their parents views because they don't know better. The complete lack of non-white people in books and stuff doesn't help (although this is now being rectified).

The link that Ceilidh gave seems to show at least a bit of racial mix amongst disney princesses..
So is it the child be racist or the parents? Children are impressionable, so they MAY repeat what their parents say, but that doesn't necessarily mean the mean it.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
dancinfool Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: The controversial film with the black princess and the frog - December 20th 2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
So is it the child be racist or the parents? Children are impressionable, so they MAY repeat what their parents say, but that doesn't necessarily mean the mean it
All the more reason to make sure that someone challenges their beliefs before they grow up and 'mean it'.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Re: The controversial film with the black princess and the frog - December 20th 2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
I was on about children though, disneys main audience, you know, 3-8 year olds not 15-20 year olds =/

And most 3-8 year olds would dislike an ordinary, mundane princess.

Plus I see how no one complain about 'prince charming' the perfect man? It's just the same really, yet no one complains about it. I'd say it's similar to how there would be no reaction if it was a white princess that got turned into a frog. To be honest I think some people are just plain silly.
I would have loved to seen that when I was a child too. My favourite books when I was younger were "A Princess Diaries" because she was a normal weird clumsy girl who found out she was a Princess without having to marry any Prince Charming.

Has anybody actually asked a bunch of 3-10 year olds if they would like to see a normal Disney princess?
Until then I don't think we can say weather or not they would like to see a normal Princess.

Eh, maybe I am just plain silly.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Wishbone Offline
Banned
Not a n00b

Re: The controversial film with the black princess and the frog - December 20th 2009, 10:57 AM

In my opinion.. Barbie wearing a burkha is much more of a worthy debate subject than this. Also, please do not be so loose with the term "racism". There is absolutely no racism in this movie. If you feel black women have been unfairly kept from being princesses in disney, this is called Discrimination. Not Racism. Really, some terms are thrown around way too loosely by the variety of people who need to learn more about what it is they are discussing.
 Send a message via ICQ to Wishbone  
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
xxxAJxxx Offline
TEIAM - problem solved.
Average Joe

Name: Aj

Re: The controversial film with the black princess and the frog - December 20th 2009, 04:46 PM

some black people think ANY opposition to them is racism. its sheer stupidity

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: The controversial film with the black princess and the frog - December 20th 2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillotine_blades View Post
Have you ever actually heard the story of Pocahontas or watched the movie? She is native american...not black. And I love the fact that Disney FINALLY has a black princess...its about time
Yes, I have I know she's native. Maybe I didn't write it the way I wanted to, but what I'm trying to say is not every disney princess has been white. They're actually missing a few races out. What do you want them to do? make a disney movie and make a disney princess for every single race just to be overly PC? that would just be ridiculous.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."

Last edited by Make Believe; December 20th 2009 at 07:10 PM.
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
xoxtammixox Offline
Gilmore Girls ADDICT!(:
Average Joe

Name: Tavia

Question Disney's Racist Princess and The Frog Movie - December 29th 2009, 07:44 PM

Here we go. It's racist when Disney doesn't have a black princess. It's racist when Disney makes a movie in which a black girl turns into a frog.

Ummm, okay... which plot would be less racist? The plot in which the main character cleans the house all day? What about the movie where the princess falls in love with a beast? Would it be racist to have the black princess be half-fish, a symbol that they don't belong in our world?

Really? What do people want? The story needs to have some kind of plot! What do they want? The princess is so beautiful that all the guys love her and she has to choose which one to marry? That really would have made one intresting plot line!

What are your views on this?

Send a message via AIM to xoxtammixox Send a message via MSN to xoxtammixox Send a message via Yahoo to xoxtammixox  
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
Ayak22 Offline
[Formerly LetGodArise/Ayak]
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: The controversial film with the black princess and the frog - January 2nd 2010, 11:22 PM

Oh come on, what is this nonsense? I just noticed this and seriously.. o.o

InherentlyObvious/LetGodArise/AyakTwloha
Member since Sep '08
Always here to help.
To Write Love On Her Arms

(#26 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Re: The controversial film with the black princess and the frog - January 4th 2010, 01:40 AM

Quote:
So is it the child be racist or the parents? Children are impressionable, so they MAY repeat what their parents say, but that doesn't necessarily mean the mean it.
Unless they are raised in neo nazi familys/kkk??

(#27 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
I can't get enough

Re: The controversial film with the black princess and the frog - January 4th 2010, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares View Post

Unless they are raised in neo nazi familys/kkk??
As I said, they may copy what there parents read, it doesn't mean they mean it though. Children really couldn't careless about skin colour and religion and etc.

(#28 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: The controversial film with the black princess and the frog - January 4th 2010, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetGodArise View Post
Oh come on, what is this nonsense? I just noticed this and seriously.. o.o
^^^ This..

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

Closed Thread