TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Film and Television Whether you're a film buff or just want to talk about your favorite television show, this forum is for you.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Hollyoaks: Hannah's story. - January 8th 2010, 11:21 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of eating disorders, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Hey guys.

So, after watching hollyoaks and seeing whats going on with Hannah, i feel kind of annoyed. I personally find the programme triggering, and i also know a few others who feel the same. You see and hear some really deep stuff in this storyline and i think its ridiculous that there is not even a tirgger warning before the programme starts.
I also think that it is so unrealistic. She seemed to have lost enough wight and become ill enough to be hospitalized in such a short time. And the first time this storyline happend, and Hannah was admitted into hospital, so was in hospital for a few weeks, and then was home and all fine again. It really annoyes the hell out of me. However, i guess it does get the point across and makes people understand how serious it can get.

What do you th's think?

Loves <3

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#2 (permalink)) Old
dancinfool Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Hollyoaks: Hannah's story. - January 8th 2010, 11:25 PM

Whilst trigger warnings are common on TH, there's pretty much no other place I can think of where they're given. Depending on your circumstance pretty much any storyline in a soap might be triggering if you relate to it and it brings up bad memories... so you can't really complain.
I haven't seen much on it so can't really comment on how they treated the storyline.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.Jess. Offline
Previously xxjessxx
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Hollyoaks: Hannah's story. - January 8th 2010, 11:48 PM

I think the first time Hannah was ill when Melissa was still in it, it was done really well, I really enjoyed watching how a soap would handle such a complex problem and I do think they did it really well, they showed how serious it can get and how quickly is can escalate if it isn't spotted. They showed side effects and they showed how Hannah turned into a completly different person which I thought was really accurate.

The recent episodes however have really annoyed me, I don't know if it's just me but it seems to have come out of no where. Like one day she was fine the next she was apparently ill enough to be taken into hospital. It just annoyed me how there was so build up to it and it just seemed to happen, but at least they are showing how easy it is to relaspe I guess...and just how serious it can be the second time round.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ellie Offline
Oh mai.
I've been here a while

Re: Hollyoaks: Hannah's story. - January 9th 2010, 12:04 AM

I have to say that I agree with Jess in that the first time the storyline was played it was done really well and was realistic in the way it showed the different sides to an eating disorder. I think that Emma Rigby who plays Hannah is an amazing actress as well because I can't imagine that it's an easy part to play. I think it's good that a soap explores such a delicate and, like Jess said again, complex issue. Hats off to them, really!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Re: Hollyoaks: Hannah's story. - January 10th 2010, 08:16 PM

I agree with Jess and Ellie! It was definately great what they did the first time Hannah got ill. It showed all of the changes she was going through and how much of a struggle it was for her.
But now, she just all of a sudden got dangerously ill again... I thought it was a bit ridiculous how they did that. Though I did liked how they made Hannah manipulate Anita, shows how it really can take over someone.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
glittermist Offline
Modal Soul
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Lisa

Re: Hollyoaks: Hannah's story. - January 10th 2010, 08:17 PM

I did find it a bit strange how her relapse happened really quickly but you have to take into consideration 'soap-time' which is definitely not the same as 'real-time' lol, and also remember that it's hollyoaks...things are quite far-fetched in this soap. However, I do think regardless of the time scenario, Emma Rigby and the team of scriptwriters and what not, are definitely handling such a sensitive issue well, and portraying it to the best of their ability. I don't know if it's like this for anyone else but whenever Hannah's storyline is on, i really feel taken in and absorbed into it..like it's really happening, like Hannah is a real person not just a fictional character. Emma Rigby is one hell of an actress!

There should be warnings beforehand imo, though. Something you might want to consider complaining about?

& it's just like she's in another world.
[<3]

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Hollyoaks: Hannah's story. - January 10th 2010, 08:24 PM

It did come out of nowhere yeah but I still like Hollyoaks and the person who plays Hannah, Emma Rigby I think, is a great actress.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Naomi. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Naomi

Re: Hollyoaks: Hannah's story. - January 10th 2010, 08:25 PM

I've complained! I know other have to.

I love the story line, and think its done really well althoguh the relapse was fast but I deffo think there should be a trig warning!

Dream ♥

(#9 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...
I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Re: Hollyoaks: Hannah's story. - January 10th 2010, 08:57 PM

Unfortunately in most places you don't find triggering warnings but you do find things that trigger different people. For example on Eastenders you would not find a trigger notice or anything for those who have alcohol issues, because of the story line with Phil right now, he's an alcoholic. You just don't find those kind of warnings everywhere. The media should be more careful about the fact they could be triggering people... but honestly anyone could be triggered by any everyday activity let alone a more serious issue.

As people have said they did address the issue in a better way the first time Hannah was ill. It showed the stages people go through and how serious eating disorders can get without the right help (what happened with Melissa). I think if anything rather than triggering people it's going to help people to see the warning signs in themselves and in people around them and encourage and people with eating disorders to get help and recover from an eating disorder.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Tegan Offline
Make a wish...
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tegan

Re: Hollyoaks: Hannah's story. - January 11th 2010, 07:15 AM

I think that although there should be a trigger warning, its like other people have said, its good that they're targetting things like this which as lot of people don't understand and has such a taboo around it. Hopefully it'll make people more aware of just how dangerous and rough EDs are?

You are the one, the one who lies next to me,
Whispers "hello, I missed you quite terribly"

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Adam Offline
Stand in the rain...
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Adam

Re: Hollyoaks: Hannah's story. - January 11th 2010, 06:06 PM

I think the old storyline was very good, but it DOES seem a bit unrealistic when she has suddenly gone really ill. But I guess in a way it is a good thing? I mean television needs to emphasize things a lot (like jokes and other storylines) for the audience to get it.

Rather than show somebody maybe hiding food constantly, or exercising a lot, you have to show them being ill, or it affecting them seriously to show the impact. I guess this is goo becasue it gives more awareness to the Eating Disorder community and how serious Eating Disorders can be.

As for the trigger warning. I don't really think it would be practical to put one in. I mean a 'trigger' wasn't exactly coined on TeenHelp, but a trigger warning is something that is used so much here that it seems normal. If you think about the amount of people that watch these soaps (millions), each one has different "triggers" that upset them. There would literally have to be a trigger warning before every program.

Katrina's NERD.
[/color] [/b][/color] [/right]

(#12 (permalink)) Old
jiggi Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Hollyoaks: Hannah's story. - January 12th 2010, 01:22 AM

I don't really watch Hollyoaks much anymore, I see the occasional one, but I used to watch it daily.
I think sometimes the storylines gone really well, and other times they've just gone too far. for example, the story with Fletch and Sasha a while ago, was basically saying 'if you smoke weed you WILL move on to heroin' it was just too much for my liking. and yet, the story with Anita being bullied, how she was suffering, that affected me so much my boyfriend made me stop watching it for a while :P

I would agree that the first time they did the Hannah thing well, but this time, from what i've seen its too much of 'THIS IS BAD FOR YOU' again.

As for the trigger thing, they clearly recognize which episodes are, because they put their helpline up at the end. Why dont they say something simple at the beginning, like they do before every film that has swearing or gore in?

x

Closed Thread