TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Film and Television Whether you're a film buff or just want to talk about your favorite television show, this forum is for you.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Scott Pilgrim vs the World - My Review and Your Thoughts - June 11th 2011, 04:48 AM

Again, you know the deal of this thread.

When I saw the ads for this movie, I knew it was light-heart silly movie and when I went to see it, I was astonished how much I liked it. I mean, the ads were pretty good but the movie was hundreds times better than what the ads showed! My overall rating for it is 9/10, the highest I've rated yet!

Without making this into a spoiler, if you know your classical video games, you'll understand many of the references in this movie. If you don't (then you're a sick puppy) and may still like it. The movie quickly outlines the plot early on, so while you may think you'll know what will happen, you really don't. For example, one of Ramona Flowers (Mary Elizabeth Winstead)'s "evil ex-boyfriends" happens to be a female, Roxy Richter (Mae Whitman)! You also see Todd Ingram (Brandon Routh)'s "vegan power" and the rules he breaks to lose that power! As you can tell, the movie is nonsensical and it constantly throws that in your face, getting more silly and funny for each "evil ex-boyfriend".

One thing I was kind of unsure of was acting, specifically, Michael Cera's acting as the main character Scott Pilgrim. In movies such as Superbad, his character Evan was very hesitant about everything and afraid to take a single step, a complete opposite to Seth (Jonah Hill). Back to the thread, somehow Cera uses and even flaunts his physical weakness in the faces of all other characters, despite him being viewed as inferior even after defeating an "evil ex-boyfriend". Through a set of hilarious, nonsensical events, his inferiority is emphasized more and more until it finally becomes his superiority. It's like a pun on movies where the main character trains really hard, such as Rocky (Sylvester Stallone) because Scott Pilgrim doesn't train at all and constantly shows that. It's like the movie is saying one's inferiority can lead to superiority without training. Even though he beats the "evil ex-boyfriends" and may get whatever power-up, it's indirect training at the most. Hell, for the second evil-ex Lucas Lee (Chris Evans), Scott just out-smarts him by daring him to grind down a dangerous rail and Lee fails.

The acting of other characters also emphasizes inferiority because they purposely act bored or uninterested. Kim Pine (Alison Pill) always shoots sarcastic remarks showing no emotion, Ramona Flowers usually seems uninterested, etc... . The only person showing lots of emotion is Knives Chau (Ellen Wong), however, her presence helps to maintain Scott Pilgrim's inferiority. So the movie turns the necessity of strong vocal intonation on its side and punts it out the window.

You're probably asking why did I give it only 9/10 and not higher? My reason is when Scott Pilgrim dreams and initially loses to Gideon Graves (Jason Schwartzman), the scenes are meant to be very dramatic but they're not. Pilgrim and whoever else involved, such as Flowers, are meant to give inspirational self-reflecting views but it's unable to, so it's the let-down, somewhat dull part of the movie. Granted, this part is meant to represent "time-out" but it doesn't go anywhere and once it is over, you're really confused how Pilgrim ends up where he is. When he's first in this dream, it's really confusing what is going on and never says why he likes Flowers so much, even when she's not interested, he maintains his interest. Unfortunately, this puts some holes in the plot. Other holes include how he met Chau and why he likes her. I'm not sure if these holes are intentional but either way, they drag the movie down a bit.

I'm shocked it hasn't won many awards. In 2011, it was nominated for the Best Overlooked Film at the Central Ohio Film Critics Association but never won that award. After watching the movie, the ads, although funny, don't do the film justice and aren't really representative of the movie. I think that may be one reason why it's under-rated. Another reason probably is not many people like Michael Cera's acting because of how he was in previous films (and I do agree with them on his previous films).

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Flying_Spirit Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Scott Pilgrim vs the World - My Review and Your Thoughts - June 11th 2011, 11:19 PM

I enjoyed this movie. I did but many people hated it. For some people they didn't know the references and were easily lost. I agree with your analysis of it though, that was quite astute of you.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
ShesNotThere Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lee

Re: Scott Pilgrim vs the World - My Review and Your Thoughts - June 13th 2011, 04:57 AM

I was surprised by how much I liked it as well. I did get most of the references, which made me happy. Plus, Wallace was excellent. He's definitely my favorite.
"Scott, watch out! It's that one guy!"

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Moyshi Offline
i am jack's smirking revenge
I've been here a while

Re: Scott Pilgrim vs the World - My Review and Your Thoughts - June 13th 2011, 09:30 PM

Nice review!

I know a lot of people said this was the type of movie you either love or hate. I really liked it for all the reasons you've already mentioned.

A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

Closed Thread