TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Film and Television Whether you're a film buff or just want to talk about your favorite television show, this forum is for you.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Undisputed III: Redemption - My Review and Your Thoughts - June 18th 2011, 04:02 AM

Fucking mangasm.

If you like romance, comedies and light-heart movies, don't watch this. I have never seen such an amazing fighting movie. The only one that may be able to compete with it is Undisputed II: Last Man Standing. I'm inherently biased so overall, I rate it 10/10.

The plot is pretty basic, so if you like a plot with twists and turns, Sherlock Homes-like movie, this isn't it. As with most sequel movies, you often need to see the previous one to fully understand and appreciate the plot and characters. With this movie, that's not the case because the plot is virtually identical as Undisputed II, with a few changes. Also, other characters mention incidents from Undisputed II, such as Turbo (Mykel Shannon Jenkins) reminds the main character, Yuri Boyka (Scott Adkins) of his badly injured knee when he fought George "Iceman" Chambers***. From that scene, Chambers and Boyka were trying to submit each other on the ground by knee-locks and leg-locks. Chambers successfully gets Boyka in a knee-lock but Boyka won't tap so Chambers ends up breaking Boyka's knee. This moment is again reminded when Boyka fights Rodrigo Silva (Lateef Crowder, who also starred in The Protector as the unnamed caporeia fighter against Tony Jaa).

However, the outline is much the same: corrupt prison where there's illegal fights run by prison staff and higher-ups. One big change in Undisputed III is the prisoner fighters are no longer from the same prison, they're from all over the world and each carries a different style of martial arts, so you get to see various styles.

You may be wondering why I'm only comparing Undisputed III with Undisputed II. Answer is Undisputed I had the same general plot but the acting and fighting was no where near as good. Undisputed II and III have the same main character, Yuri Boyka. In Undisputed I, the main characters are Monroe Hutchen (Wesley Snipes) and George "Iceman" Chambers. In Undisputed 1, the fight scenes were no where near as brutal, realistic or beautifully choreographed. It was run-of-the-mill crappy fights and all the fights were let-downs with huge gaps within the same fight. Even the acting was kind of poor and I like Snipes in some of his other movies, such as the Blade movies and Demolition Man. Anyway, enough of those movies, back to Undisputed III.

The acting was fairly good, in and out of the ring. In fact, that's part of what made the fight scenes so damn good, the acting really showed the pain the fighters were in and their determination to win. In other words, it wasn't a fights with a few punches here and there then that's it. Many of the moves the fighters did showed the difficulty they were having as well as show-casing their skills. During the fights, the camera quickly drifts away from the ring, showing the reaction of the on-looking prisoners, people watching at some sports bar and the higher-ups. Their reactions were in sync with who was winning the fight and showed their worry when the fighter they favoured was not doing so well. I'll admit, the dialogue is kind of short. Although some may criticize it, the fighters often did amazing gymnastic moves, such as back-flips and front-flips to avoid strikes. In some portions of the fight, some scenes looked highly computer animated, such as when Boyka was fighting Dolor (Marko Zaror) and Rodrigo Silva. This is purely a guess on my part but Crowder's character, Silva may be named after the current amazing fighter, Anderson "The Spider" Silva because both men are from Brazil, among the top fighters in their respective styles and both dodge strikes from their opponents very well.

The setting was mostly within the ring as well as outside the prison where the prison fighters could talk with each other as they did grueling work. Another setting was within the prison but outside the ring, again where fighters talked and trained with their coaches. Although you don't see it for a very long time, there's brief scenes within

*** = In Undisputed I, George "Iceman" Chambers was played by Ving Rhames but in Undisputed II, he was played by Michael Jai White. In Undispited II, White was a much better actor than Rhames.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Closed Thread