TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Music (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f224-music/)
-   -   Can i go to a concert alone (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f224-music/t159628-can-i-go-concert-alone/)

Nikkkkki December 26th 2019 06:45 PM

Can i go to a concert alone

A rock band that i love might be having a concert near where i live. My dad said i can get tickets instead of a birthday present and i happily agreed. The thing is my parents dont really like their music. The tickets are quite pricey so it would be a waste of money for my parents to go with me and not enjoy themselves. My dad said i can just go alone. I wouldnt mind that but i dont know how safe it is for a kid to go all alone. Do you think a 14 year old could go to a concert alone(no parents, no friends).
(Its an MCR concert btw)

DeletedAccount57 December 31st 2019 07:16 PM

Re: Can i go to a concert alone

Hmm, this is a tough one! I don't think I'd personally feel comfortable allowing a 14-year-old to go to an MCR concert alone. I can't say I've ever been to one of their concerts, but I'd think the crowd might be a little bit rowdier than at other concerts. (Don't quote me on that, though! I pretty much live under a rock as far as concerts are concerned!)

I was reading this blog post on the issue and I think it offers some good insights:

Quote:

The first thing that comes to mind — what is the show and what kind of audience does the show bring to the table? In some cases, I can see a 13 or 14 year old going to a show where the crowd is mild, for example One Direction or something similar. I would not allow children to go to shows with higher alcohol consumptions or a rougher audience.

The second thing to consider is how the child conducts themselves. Are they independent? Do they consistently demonstrate good judgment and decision making. Or do they show a pattern of making poor choices?

The third thing to think about is, how close is the venue to you? A venue that is 5-10 minutes away is much easier to manage if a situation arises than something hours away or in a location that’s hard to get to. Some venues in urban centers are surrounded by restaurants, which make for good places to stick around nearby. Finally, does the child have a cell phone? Communicating with them throughout the event via a smartphone is a great way to stay in touch and keep tabs on what’s happening.
I'd say that if you're not comfortable going alone, it might be best to try to bring somebody with you. Do you have any friends that you can ask? Any extended family members? You could tell your parents that you don't feel comfortable and ask if one or both of them can accompany you. I think the most important thing is that you feel comfortable and safe going, and that you feel confident in your ability to handle yourself in that environment.

I wish I could be of more help! It's definitely not a black-or-white situation.

All the best,
Kylie

Yggri June 20th 2020 04:20 PM

Re: Can i go to a concert alone

I think that's perfectly normal.