TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Music Discuss your favorite musicians and music, whether you listen or play, here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BeautyKills :O Offline
Bookworm 8-|
Average Joe

Lady Gaga's Alejandro - June 14th 2010, 07:08 PM

I dunno if this should be posted here but anyway, has anyone read/heard of this before:

http://vigilantcitizen.com/?p=3979

If you're gonna ask me how I got the link or why it got into my mind to search about it.. It's 'cause a friend of mine from school gave me these videos (called The Arrivals) of how media manipulates us and how it moves us away from religion and the whole anti-christ thingy.

No offense to her fans here but I just wanted to hear your opinion about it .

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
— Maya Angelou
  Send a message via MSN to BeautyKills :O  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
facade Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Lady Gaga's Alejandro - June 15th 2010, 12:17 AM

* no offense to her fans on her either.. *

i dont really like Lady Gaga.
some of her songs are really cool and all, but i know for one i cannot stand her song papparazi(sp?). i change the radio station every time ive seen it.
& i hate ALL of her music videos... to me they're extremely sexual.
& with her swallowing the rosary, the cross on her crotch, & the gun bra.. O_____o geez.
plus, in her music video of telephone, i dont think that the music video says anything about the actual song..

i just dont really like her... :P.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Name: Scott

Re: Lady Gaga's Alejandro - June 15th 2010, 12:41 AM

I never really thought that in-depth about the video before that article. Infact I thought it wasn't all that entertaining compared to Bad Romance and Telephone. But looking at the symbolism and imagery, maybe it is a much more intelligent video than either of those two.

If those theories are correct, then I have a great load of respect for her. Art is meant to be striking and possibly offensive. To be honest, a lot of the scenes made me think of Madonna, which was mentioned in that article, but it seems she may just be following on from her footsteps and making her own opinions known. If so, cool. If not, then it's amazing what people can come up with when they clutch at straws.

I especially liked the "Becoinge a God" and "Spiritual Transformation" interpretations.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: Lady Gaga's Alejandro - June 15th 2010, 02:50 AM

Lady Gaga is so annoying. I'd like to just stop hearing about her.
To me she's just someone who craves attention and writes provocative and stupid songs to get it.
The music industry could definitely do without her.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Lady Gaga's Alejandro - June 15th 2010, 03:02 AM

I like that song when I saw the video I thought it was extreme but that is her so I didn't really pay too much attention to it I just love the song.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
WillO'Wisp Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Lady Gaga's Alejandro - June 15th 2010, 08:36 PM

I love how unique and gorgeous Lady Gaga is and I just absolutely love her music. Her new video is just as creative and as awesome as the others.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Lady Gaga's Alejandro - June 15th 2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
Lady Gaga is so annoying. I'd like to just stop hearing about her.
To me she's just someone who craves attention and writes provocative and stupid songs to get it.
The music industry could definitely do without her.
Agreed, and the whole thing with her admitting to being a hermaphrodite, then going back on it. Either a) She IS a hermaphrodite and is LYING about who she really is, or b) She claimed such for attention. So, she's either a Liar or an Attention-Whore... Or Both.

Although her new song was on the radio in the grocery store yesterday, and well, my mom and I both thought it sounded SO MUCH like Ace of Base (yes, theres a link for some of you youngin's why may not remember Ace of Base!). In fact, I initially thought it WAS Ace of Base!

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#8 (permalink)) Old
glittermist Offline
Modal Soul
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Lisa

Re: Lady Gaga's Alejandro - June 16th 2010, 08:23 PM

TBH i think people read too much into things these days. Yeah she is very sexual and a bit loopy, hence the name 'Gaga' and admittedly, i don't like her as much as i used to due to the fact i think her recent videos have gone too far, and her stage performances are very offensive...considering children go along to her concerts, i think she should tone it down a bit. As for whether i believe in these theories or not, i don't know. I'm a little sceptical of course, but there is some very obvious signs and stuff. It's probably what Gaga and her co want you to think, that they are some sort of devil-worshipping crazies, but in reality they just want more attention and stuff like this generates it and therefore their songs get more plays etc...people download it to analyse it, and what have you.

& it's just like she's in another world.
[<3]

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Ellie Offline
Oh mai.
I've been here a while

Re: Lady Gaga's Alejandro - June 17th 2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ☣ ArcAngel ☣ View Post
Although her new song was on the radio in the grocery store yesterday, and well, my mom and I both thought it sounded SO MUCH like Ace of Base (yes, theres a link for some of you youngin's why may not remember Ace of Base!). In fact, I initially thought it WAS Ace of Base!
Ace of Base <333333333

Anywayyyy xD

i really like Lady Gaga. I think the article was really interesting and gave one possible explanation of the video but to be honest I think there can be so many different interpretations. Some of the comments on the article really got to me though. Quite a few were calling her evil, saying that fans were brainwashed etc. But to some degree can't it be that she is challenging that view point? That there are so many different 'evils' in the world today and that we perhaps don't realise how behaviour we see as everyday and the norm are actually damaging and oppressive. I don't really see how liking Gaga makes someone a cult member/follower etc which was the impression I got from a lot of the comments. I think she is daring and either questions a lot of the world or at least makes others question it.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Kessietoba Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

June 25th 2010, 07:47 AM

ya it was some thing new

we did enjoyed it

Last edited by eunoia; June 26th 2010 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Merge.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
*Rainbow*Rider* Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: H

Re: Lady Gaga's Alejandro - June 25th 2010, 08:24 AM

I'm a strong believer that art is art, and it should be left alone by laws, religion and anything else like that.

If the world is a cold place
Make it your business to start some fires

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Power Cosmic Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Janos

Re: Lady Gaga's Alejandro - June 25th 2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting on the shitter View Post
I'm a strong believer that art is art, and it should be left alone by laws, religion and anything else like that.

In a word. Agreed.

In two words; I agree >.>

"My one desire is for peace -- peace for everyone"

Send a message via MSN to Power Cosmic  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Name: Basil!!!

Re: Lady Gaga's Alejandro - June 26th 2010, 10:00 AM

Dear God, not another "The Anti-Christ Is Converting Your Children!!!" thread... Lets take a step back and consider what a negative view of Christianity in the media might be caused by. Throughout history the media in it's past forms has been very supportive of religion, because of the important role it had in holding society together. However since religion institutions are now being scrutinised more readily than ever, with one NCCAN survey suggesting that the only groups to perpetuate "satanic ritual abuse" are Christian sects, why shouldn't the media start turning against religion? Even the entertainment business at least loosely bases itself on reality, so in a time when people are realising that the church isn't quite the moral bastion it makes itself out to be, you can on expect an anti-religious slant in the media.
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Stardaze Offline
Hopeless Love
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Lady Gaga's Alejandro - June 28th 2010, 11:31 AM

I cannot stand Lady Gaga. Just saying.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Lady Gaga's Alejandro - June 28th 2010, 01:25 PM

I LOVE lady Gaga. people hate on her without giving her a chance more often than not. she has incredible voice and she's an amazing performer.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#16 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Name: Cody

Re: Lady Gaga's Alejandro - June 29th 2010, 08:18 PM

I would say most of the article could possibly have been a correct interpretation. Though I disagree with this:

"The inverted cross, placed on Gaga’s crotch, becomes a phallic symbol. Superimposed and combined with her female genitals"

I'm pretty sure she he has no female genitals to superimpose over.

~Cody

Normal User

(#17 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Re: Lady Gaga's Alejandro - June 29th 2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
I don't really see how liking Gaga makes someone a cult member/follower etc
I'd say that people become cult members/followers of pop culture itself. All that particular cult cares about is money, and they make plenty of it. Any talentless hack of an artist (not referring to Germanotta specifically) that they say is popular ends up being popular, and then they end up even richer. Not to sound like the whole non-conformist cliche, but that's pretty much how it is.

~Cody

Normal User

(#18 (permalink)) Old
L'espoir Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jen

Re: Lady Gaga's Alejandro - June 29th 2010, 08:43 PM

I respect lady gaga in a way because she has faced so much critisicm for the way she is and people (like one of the above posters) saying she is a hermaphrodite (sp?) etc etc. I respect her though for being different and wearing what she wants despite the things she gets said about her. I also happen to think that her songs are quite catchy, I pretty much always have hated them when I first hear them but then I listen to them more and they get in my head and I end up loving them! So yeah, Im with Elle on this one, I'm likin' lady gaga

PM // VM

(#19 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Lady Gaga's Alejandro - June 29th 2010, 09:14 PM

Trying to make sense of a Lady Gaga video or derive anything that meaningful from it is probably about as futile an exercise as trying to make a chocolate kettle. For example, the article quoted by the OP states one interpretation of the video; the video's director, Steven Klein, is quoted on Wikipedia stating a completely different one. (Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alejand...g%29#Reception) You can read pretty much anything into something like a music video depending on your preconceptions.

Anyway, on the subject of Lady Gaga generally, she's a talented singer but definitely mad as a hatter. I saw her live at Glastonbury last year with my then-girlfriend, and she did seem slightly out of it at times. Example: not realising that her dress had ridden up during a song and that she wasn't wearing anything underneath - and then announcing it on stage after the song. Not before the cameras had projected it on the big screens anyway mind you...But anyway, good singer, not-so-great actress, and generally slightly unhinged. But hey, takes all kinds to make a world.

Also, if you think that's a weird video then you should watch the video for Katy Perry's "California Gurls". Now that does take some explaining...

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

Last edited by dr2005; June 29th 2010 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Added reference to other video

(#20 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Re: Lady Gaga's Alejandro - June 29th 2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2005 View Post
Also, if you think that's a weird video then you should watch the video for Katy Perry's "California Gurls". Now that does take some explaining...

I don't know, seemed to make sense to me. Basically candyland is a metaphor for California. All of the candy represents 'california gurls' because they are tasty and desirable, I presume. Something along those lines.

Now the part at the end with whipped cream coming out of her candy cane nipples? That leaves me a bit perplexed

~Cody

Normal User

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Brittany_LeRae Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Brittany

Re: Lady Gaga's Alejandro - July 5th 2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNumber42 View Post
I don't know, seemed to make sense to me. Basically candyland is a metaphor for California. All of the candy represents 'california gurls' because they are tasty and desirable, I presume. Something along those lines.

Now the part at the end with whipped cream coming out of her candy cane nipples? That leaves me a bit perplexed

Yea I saw that & was like "What the heck?!"

I've got the same old heart,
With a brand new beat.

Inseparable since May 11, 2008
Married since August 15, 2009

Send a message via AIM to Brittany_LeRae Send a message via Yahoo to Brittany_LeRae  
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
WillO'Wisp Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Lady Gaga's Alejandro - July 8th 2010, 04:53 PM

I love Lady Gaga even more now!

Closed Thread