TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Media and Entertainment Discuss everything from books to music, movies, television and celebrities in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
L.O.V.E. IS??
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: kelly

Finish Strong - July 9th 2012, 02:01 PM

Finish Strong is more than a statement...it's an attitude. Today, I'd like to share one of the stories from the book about Miles Levin, a teenager, who despite his terminal cancer chose to persevere and inspire thousands by making each day count.

An excerpt from
Finish Strong
by Dan Green
After a two year battle with cancer, teenager Miles Levin, unfortunately lost his fight. However, during his final years, he achieved a level of self-awareness, courage and wisdom that most of us will never reach. Miles chose to post his observations on a carepages.com blog and through his writings he inspired thousands of people. He wrote with amazing grace and eloquence. Some of his posts were short:

"Dying is not what scares me. It's dying having no impact."

Some were long and philosophical. But each post served a significant purpose in that it challenged a reader to think more deeply about life, death and making a difference. Through his expressions Miles left this world a better place than he came into it. Here's what Miles said just one month after being diagnosed with terminal cancer:

"I went to the driving range the other day and I was thinking...I was thinking how you start out with a big bucket full of golf balls, and you just start hitting away carelessly. You have dozens of them, each individual ball means nothing to you so just hit, hit, hit. One ball gone is practically inconsequential when subtracted from your bottomless bucket. There are no practice swings or technique re-evaluations after a bad shot, because so many more tries remain. Yet eventually you start to have to reach down towards the bottom of the bucket to scavenge for another shot and you realize that tries are running out. Now with just a handful left, each swing becomes more meaningful. The right technique becomes more crucial, so between each shot you take a couple practice swings and a few deep breaths. There is a very strong need to end on a good note, even if every preceding shot was terrible, getting it right at the end means a lot. You know as you tee up your last ball, 'This is my final shot, I want to crush this with perfection; I must make this count.' Limited quantities or limited time brings a new, precious value and significance to anything you do. Live every day shooting as if it's your last shot, I know I have to."

-Miles Alpern Levin, July 7, 2005

Like Miles suggested, we should treat each day as a precious ball of life. Take your time, take a breath and make a practice swing. Make each shot count and most of all finish strong!

The difference between our success or failure is not chance—it's choice. Which will you choose?

Some things are beautiful because they are un-obtainable <3

'A dream is what you desire if anything and everything is possible.'

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Disappearing Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Finish Strong - July 20th 2012, 04:38 PM

Thank you so much for sharing this Kelly! It was quite inspirational .

(#3 (permalink)) Old
L.O.V.E. IS??
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: kelly

Re: Finish Strong - July 26th 2012, 03:22 PM

Yourwelcome! And i thought so too!

Some things are beautiful because they are un-obtainable <3

'A dream is what you desire if anything and everything is possible.'

Closed Thread