TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Media and Entertainment Discuss everything from books to music, movies, television and celebrities in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Eastenders. - July 24th 2009, 07:58 PM

I watch Eastenders on and off and the storyline that's been really catching my attention has been Jean and Stacey Slater's issues with Bipolar disorder.

I was just wondering what those who watch Eastenders think about this storyline?

Personally, I'm finding them quite difficult to watch but also intriguing at the same time. It's good that it's making people aware of Bipolar disorder (and mental illness in general) but I'm just not sure that they're dealing with it in the right way. I also really do think that they should put a helpline type message at the end of the programme, at least and perhaps something about 'distressing' scenes beforehand as it can be very triggering.

There's an article [here] from the BBC Press Office if anyone wants a link. :]

Discuss and comment.

Last edited by Prozac; July 24th 2009 at 08:16 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
i_am_me_again Offline
I'm A Pyschotic Neurotic.
I can't get enough

Name: Jaymi

Re: Eastenders. - July 24th 2009, 08:13 PM

I watch Eastenders....I think the pair of them are fantastic together and although really triggering, to watc (I have mental Illness) I think they portray themselves very well.

Their acting is just brilliant and I think they both deserve awards for their performances.

HelpLink Mentor & Forum Moderator

PM me!

Our lives are like music.
It hits its high and low notes,
But in the end,
It all turns into a perfect melody
  Send a message via MSN to i_am_me_again  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
glittermist Offline
Modal Soul
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Lisa

Re: Eastenders. - July 25th 2009, 08:30 PM

I really like this storyline, obviously not because i like seeing people struggle but because of the way the scriptwriters and actresses attempt to shed some light on Bipolar disorder; and i call it an 'attempt' because I know their portrayal isn't entirely accurate as all cases vary; but they are doing an excellent job with what they can portray and i really do think they both deserve an award.

The storyline that REALLY p's me off is the Max/Tanya fiasco. I mean Max has had COUNTLESS affairs; Tanya has slept with his brother Jack, she also slept with Sean who she used only to try and murder Max; then Lauren tried to kill Max. Now they want to be happy families again. Does this annoy you? One minute they're trying to show some realism with the Bipolar storyline and the next they're going all out to contradict themselves with something so cringeworthy! I know it's a soap and everything but this just takes it past the point of idiotic!

& it's just like she's in another world.
[<3]

(#4 (permalink)) Old
i_am_me_again Offline
I'm A Pyschotic Neurotic.
I can't get enough

Name: Jaymi

Re: Eastenders. - July 25th 2009, 08:38 PM

Yeah, I cannot stand Max and Tanya atm. Its really....unreal. Completely stupid and gets on my nerves!

I also cant stand Ronnie and Archie....jeez *Sigh*

HelpLink Mentor & Forum Moderator

PM me!

Our lives are like music.
It hits its high and low notes,
But in the end,
It all turns into a perfect melody
  Send a message via MSN to i_am_me_again  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
lilangel! Offline
Speeding through life
Average Joe

Name: Hannah

Re: Eastenders. - July 25th 2009, 08:41 PM

with the bipolar, i think their doing a great job of alerting people to the problems many people face as well as showing you that it can be sorted out. i do think that they should have a helpline/website at the end, if not they should say something about seeing your doctor. i think its good for them to portray such a difficult illness to go through but also a bad thing because it may trigger people. therefore i also think that they should have some sort of warning at the begining.

the max/tanya thing is also annoying. after all that "family" has been through, they certainly shouldnt be together!! come on, 2 murder attempts, countless affairs and god only knows how many slanging matches and slaps. its a lost cause if you ask me and very annoying when your in the middle of something serious like the stacey/jean bipolar thing.

yeah, mitchell family is just a disaster lol, bring back grant i say!! lol at least he was funny to watch lol, always laughed at him whenever hes on screen lol.

all in all, easteders is still a good tv programme to watch, am kinda hooked hahaha its on series link record on my sky plus lol :P never mind, i have nothing better to do with my life lol
X

"He who does not weep, does not see" - Les Miserables.

keep reaching and living your lives. you are who you are.

PM me whenever and ill do my best to help!

Im here if you ever need anyone to talk to or to have someone to listen to you

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Robin Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Robin

Re: Eastenders. - July 25th 2009, 10:10 PM

OK, urm i used to watch Eastenders alot, i know strange for a guy to, But i find every storyline on Eastenders now doesnt come to a conclusion and relationships dont last longer than a month! life isnt like that, i said to my mum there trying to cover to much in 1 soap, Everythings stupid, my mum and dad have been through shit and they split up and i couldnt be happier (like lauren) so why is he coming back? the writers have obviously never been through a divorce.

i cant watch eastenders without saying "This is stupid!"

(#7 (permalink)) Old
blondiegirl Offline
Blondie Girl
Not a n00b

Name: Blondie Girl

Re: Eastenders. - July 29th 2009, 01:21 PM

Its a very interesting storyline. I have to say though from a keen actress point of veiw Lacey Turner who plays stacey has been sooo amazing, really convincing. Same with the actress who plays Jean theyre both really good.
Its good because it teachers viewers a lot about the condition and how it effects families.

I have to say though my favourite storyline at the moment is the Christian/Sayid/Amira love triangle <3

I kinda like Amira and if eel sorry for her but i soooo want Christian and Sayid to be together, itd just be so cute <3

"Fully Alive, More Than Most, Ready To Smile And Love Life!"

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Re: Eastenders. - July 29th 2009, 05:57 PM

I think it's a good idea that they've put this storyline in. I'm always interested when a soap tries to put mental illnesses in the shows, I always want to see how good they're making it and how believable it is.

I think Stacey does look quite believable, I congratulate the actress, it's not an easy thing to do to make yourself break down. I think the only weird thing about it is that she seems to have all of the bipolar symptoms! Not just a few, but everything that you can assosiate with the illness. I dont know, I just find this pretty weird.

I do agree that they should put a warning beforehand, just to let people know not to watch it if it may upset them. The amount of times i've been triggered because they've been stupid and forgot to warn me.

x

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Eastenders. - July 29th 2009, 07:34 PM

I think its really good they are doing a story line on mental health problems, because you dont really see it in any other soaps. I think theres only been Newt from hollyoaks of what i have seen with a mental health problem, and so i think its good, because its making more people aware of what goes on behind these issues.

However, personally, i have found it triggering, both with jean and stacey. Sometimes i've had to turn it off. Maybe they should say 'triggering' before the show starts.
But yeah (:

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread