TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts


Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines


You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!



Media and Entertainment Discuss everything from books to music, movies, television and celebrities in this forum.

View Poll Results: which on do yuh like better
slipknot 13 34.21%
bullet for my valentine 19 50.00%
ew metal sucks. 6 15.79%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
NEVERSHOUTNEVER<3
Average Joe
***
 
thexlastxnightx7's Avatar
 
Name: Cassie=D
Gender: Female
Location: CT <33333

Posts: 189
Join Date: January 6th 2009

slipknot vs bullet for my valentine. - August 29th 2009, 10:32 PM

hmm this is a tough one....bullet for my valentine ...or slipknot.
idunno im bored so i thought id make a poll.=p
letts see wuttcha think=D




how stubborn are the scars when they wont fade away..or just a gentle reminder that now are better days
<3
  Send a message via AIM to thexlastxnightx7 Send a message via MSN to thexlastxnightx7 Send a message via Skype™ to thexlastxnightx7 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Boobies Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough
*********
 
Boobies's Avatar
 
Gender: Male

Posts: 2,185
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: slipknot vs bullet for my valentine. - August 29th 2009, 10:39 PM

Seeming as neither of them are proper metal... =O
   
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
tortured soul Offline
It's never easy to get by
Average Joe
***
 
tortured soul's Avatar
 
Name: Dylan
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Location: medford, MA (Us)

Posts: 179
Join Date: January 21st 2009

Re: slipknot vs bullet for my valentine. - August 29th 2009, 11:11 PM

without a doubt slipknot takes it


what is love but a four letter word that expresses a mix of emotions to one another
  Send a message via AIM to tortured soul  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough
*********
 
Melody Pond's Avatar
 
Name: Rachel
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Location: UK

Posts: 2,726
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: slipknot vs bullet for my valentine. - August 29th 2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaDotTissue View Post
Seeming as neither of them are proper metal... =O
^^^ This... and

They are both totally different bands so it is difficult to compare the two. I went through a phase when I liked some Bullet songs so I chose them, I have never really liked Slipknot much. I would have chose none really but I don't think that Metal sucks, I like metal just not these bands.
   
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Jamie Offline
A Tout Le Monde
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Jamie's Avatar
 
Name: Jamie
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Location: Europe

Posts: 605
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: slipknot vs bullet for my valentine. - August 29th 2009, 11:26 PM

I don't mind either, but I prefer Slipknot.

Much laughing at the "They're not metal" comments. I struggle to fogure out how they're not metal- probably a combination of people who somehow think having clean vocals, annoying fanbases or being mainstream automatically throws you out of the metal genre.


The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw


22:36 [Ergg] It's so much better to be a girl
22:36 [Ergg] IMO
22:36 [Jamie] Naw. Two words: Periods. Childbirth.
22:36 [Ergg] One word: Birth control
22:37 [Jamie] That's two words.
   
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Boobies Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough
*********
 
Boobies's Avatar
 
Gender: Male

Posts: 2,185
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: slipknot vs bullet for my valentine. - August 29th 2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
I don't mind either, but I prefer Slipknot.

Much laughing at the "They're not metal" comments. I struggle to fogure out how they're not metal- probably a combination of people who somehow think having clean vocals, annoying fanbases or being mainstream automatically throws you out of the metal genre.
Or because they're not a metal band?...
   
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Jamie Offline
A Tout Le Monde
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Jamie's Avatar
 
Name: Jamie
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Location: Europe

Posts: 605
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: slipknot vs bullet for my valentine. - August 29th 2009, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaDotTissue View Post
Or because they're not a metal band?...
Really. What genre would they fall under then?


The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw


22:36 [Ergg] It's so much better to be a girl
22:36 [Ergg] IMO
22:36 [Jamie] Naw. Two words: Periods. Childbirth.
22:36 [Ergg] One word: Birth control
22:37 [Jamie] That's two words.
   
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Boobies Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough
*********
 
Boobies's Avatar
 
Gender: Male

Posts: 2,185
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: slipknot vs bullet for my valentine. - August 29th 2009, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Really. What genre would they fall under then?
Nu-metal, technically a sub-genre of heavy metal, so in other words it has characteristics of heavy metal, but it isn't heavy metal. Just like heavy metal is a sub-genre of rock, but it's not rock.
   
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Jamie Offline
A Tout Le Monde
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Jamie's Avatar
 
Name: Jamie
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Location: Europe

Posts: 605
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: slipknot vs bullet for my valentine. - August 29th 2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaDotTissue View Post
Nu-metal, technically a sub-genre of heavy metal, so in other words it has characteristics of heavy metal, but it isn't heavy metal. Just like heavy metal is a sub-genre of rock, but it's not rock.
That's possibly the worst justification of anything I've ever heard. Ever.

First, metal isn't a sub-genre of Rock. That's just stupid idea. The two are different and occasionaly cross-over in ther realms of Prog Rock/Metal and Hard Rock...but that's it. Metal is an evolution of Rock Music- things are similar, but you end up with a different end product. Saying one is a sub-genre of the other is similar to saying "Human's are a sub-genre of Monkeys."

The sub-genre/genre argument is a bit ridiculous to be honest. You're basically saying that no metal sub-genre counts as metal, including Power Metal, Black Metal, NWOBHM, Folk Metal etc etc. Which is weird, because suddenly you just tossed out most of the metal bands that exist from metal.

Sadly this seems to be an increasing trend in the metal scene where "If it's not AC/DC, Maiden or Metallica and it's popular, we must hate it and decry it as some kind of heretic!"


The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw


22:36 [Ergg] It's so much better to be a girl
22:36 [Ergg] IMO
22:36 [Jamie] Naw. Two words: Periods. Childbirth.
22:36 [Ergg] One word: Birth control
22:37 [Jamie] That's two words.
   
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Boobies Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough
*********
 
Boobies's Avatar
 
Gender: Male

Posts: 2,185
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: slipknot vs bullet for my valentine. - August 30th 2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
That's possibly the worst justification of anything I've ever heard. Ever.

First, metal isn't a sub-genre of Rock. That's just stupid idea. The two are different and occasionaly cross-over in ther realms of Prog Rock/Metal and Hard Rock...but that's it. Metal is an evolution of Rock Music- things are similar, but you end up with a different end product. Saying one is a sub-genre of the other is similar to saying "Human's are a sub-genre of Monkeys."

The sub-genre/genre argument is a bit ridiculous to be honest. You're basically saying that no metal sub-genre counts as metal, including Power Metal, Black Metal, NWOBHM, Folk Metal etc etc. Which is weird, because suddenly you just tossed out most of the metal bands that exist from metal.

Sadly this seems to be an increasing trend in the metal scene where "If it's not AC/DC, Maiden or Metallica and it's popular, we must hate it and decry it as some kind of heretic!"
AC/DC isn't metal either... And no, black metal isn't metal, it's black metal, it's own genre, even if it has metal influences, it's still not metal. And nu-metal in particular is completely different to metal because it has too many electronic effects, and there's rapping in a lot of it. It isn't metal.
   
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Jamie Offline
A Tout Le Monde
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Jamie's Avatar
 
Name: Jamie
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Location: Europe

Posts: 605
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: slipknot vs bullet for my valentine. - August 30th 2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaDotTissue View Post
AC/DC isn't metal either... And no, black metal isn't metal, it's black metal, it's own genre, even if it has metal influences, it's still not metal. And nu-metal in particular is completely different to metal because it has too many electronic effects, and there's rapping in a lot of it. It isn't metal.
I'm sorry, but I just cannot accept that "Sub-genres cannot be part of the genre they are." It makes no sense to me really, but I guess it all depends on your view really. I guess I will have to say in this case that in my book both bands fall under Metal and it's sub-genres.


The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw


22:36 [Ergg] It's so much better to be a girl
22:36 [Ergg] IMO
22:36 [Jamie] Naw. Two words: Periods. Childbirth.
22:36 [Ergg] One word: Birth control
22:37 [Jamie] That's two words.
   
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
WhySoSerious? Offline
Mute Poet
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
WhySoSerious?'s Avatar
 
Name: Vicki
Gender: Female
Location: Saskatoon

Posts: 483
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: slipknot vs bullet for my valentine. - August 30th 2009, 12:21 AM

Well, I've never heard any songs by Slipknot.... I used to like a couple songs by Bullet for My Valentine though.

Also I disagree with the people saying that they're not metal. I don't know about Slipknot, but Bullet for My Valentine has always sounded like metal to me. (I'm pretty sure that's the genre my iTunes gave them as well.)



~Where death is I am not, where I am death is not, so we never meet~


I'd rather die terrified

than live forever.
We will all die so gloriously, that having ever lived will seem like folly.
-Asofterworld

  Send a message via MSN to WhySoSerious?  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Algernon's Avatar
 
Name: Holly
Age: 23
Gender: Female
Location: Roseville, California

Posts: 4,128
Join Date: January 21st 2009

Re: slipknot vs bullet for my valentine. - August 30th 2009, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaDotTissue View Post
Seeming as neither of them are proper metal... =O
For real... God... How can you compare Slipknot and Bullet For My Valentine.

Now... Something like... Aerosmith Vs. The Eagles, or Metallica Vs. Sabbath would be appropriate. =)


Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
MechanicGodCreation's Avatar
 

Posts: 290
Join Date: March 29th 2009

Re: slipknot vs bullet for my valentine. - August 30th 2009, 02:09 AM

They're pretty hard to compare really, totally different.

I find Slipknot to be a waste of time, and I'm enjoying Bullet's latest album lately so I'll go with them.
   
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Moyshi Offline
i am jack's smirking revenge

I've been here a while
********
 
Moyshi's Avatar
 
Age: 22
Gender: Female

Posts: 1,790
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: slipknot vs bullet for my valentine. - August 30th 2009, 02:20 AM

I've never really been a fan of either bands, but if I had to chose between them i'd chose Slipknot.


Don't just exist...LIVE.
   
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?
**********
 
MadPoet's Avatar
 
Name: Amanda.
Age: 18
Gender: Female.
Location: Michigan.

Posts: 4,771
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: slipknot vs bullet for my valentine. - August 30th 2009, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaDotTissue View Post
Seeming as neither of them are proper metal... =O
Yeah, I wouldn't really consider them metal.

Nor do I like metal, but I do like Bullet For My Valentine. Slipknot... not the best. I prefer to be able to actually understand the lyrics being sung in a song, constant screaming makes my ears bleed.





A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts


   
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
TheWhiteTornado Offline
Member
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
TheWhiteTornado's Avatar
 
Name: Jack
Age: 20
Gender: Male

Posts: 799
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: slipknot vs bullet for my valentine. - August 30th 2009, 02:25 AM

I enjoy both and they are two really different metal bands. If I'm looking for more of an instrumental and....normal (for lack of a better word) type of music then Bullet, but Slipknot definitely has it's own section in my heart for being all around beastly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaDotTissue View Post
AC/DC isn't metal either... And no, black metal isn't metal, it's black metal, it's own genre, even if it has metal influences, it's still not metal. And nu-metal in particular is completely different to metal because it has too many electronic effects, and there's rapping in a lot of it. It isn't metal.
I can see how you'd think Slipknot is nu metal (but only their self titled album) but Bullet is far from it. And nu metal and black metal are all different types of metal, but they're metal nonetheless.


"What do we live for, if not to make life less difficult for each other?"
-George Eliot

"Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it."
-Groucho Marx

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid that it will never begin."
-Grace Hansen
   
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
tortured soul Offline
It's never easy to get by
Average Joe
***
 
tortured soul's Avatar
 
Name: Dylan
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Location: medford, MA (Us)

Posts: 179
Join Date: January 21st 2009

Re: slipknot vs bullet for my valentine. - August 30th 2009, 02:27 AM

WOW sooooo many people ragg on sliplnot. they are too a metal band and wayyyyyy better than bullet. Bullet is just noise slipknot had meaningful lyrics with hidden messages whick you catch only if you like metal and believe in them.


what is love but a four letter word that expresses a mix of emotions to one another
  Send a message via AIM to tortured soul  
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Boobies Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough
*********
 
Boobies's Avatar
 
Gender: Male

Posts: 2,185
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: slipknot vs bullet for my valentine. - August 30th 2009, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_unnamed View Post
WOW sooooo many people ragg on sliplnot. they are too a metal band and wayyyyyy better than bullet. Bullet is just noise slipknot had meaningful lyrics with hidden messages whick you catch only if you like metal and believe in them.
I like slipknot, but if one of them is just noise then that would be slipknot, seriously...
   
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?
**********
 
MadPoet's Avatar
 
Name: Amanda.
Age: 18
Gender: Female.
Location: Michigan.

Posts: 4,771
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: slipknot vs bullet for my valentine. - August 30th 2009, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_unnamed View Post
WOW sooooo many people ragg on sliplnot. they are too a metal band and wayyyyyy better than bullet. Bullet is just noise slipknot had meaningful lyrics with hidden messages whick you catch only if you like metal and believe in them.
They may have meaningful messages, but I sure can't tell when all I hear is guitar and screaming.





A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts


   
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Maverick Offline
Dark Deceiver
Not a n00b
**
 
Maverick's Avatar
 
Name: Wesley
Age: 19
Gender: I have a penis
Location: The Towers of Avarice

Posts: 62
Join Date: August 17th 2009

Re: slipknot vs bullet for my valentine. - August 30th 2009, 04:18 AM

Both band blow hard. There should be a fourth option that says "I listen to real metal, not Bullshit For My Valentine or Shitknot".

Real metal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euHMldrw4fw

Trendy mallcore scene kid garbage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrO83v6X8lI
  Send a message via MSN to Maverick  
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
TheWhiteTornado Offline
Member
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
TheWhiteTornado's Avatar
 
Name: Jack
Age: 20
Gender: Male

Posts: 799
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: slipknot vs bullet for my valentine. - August 30th 2009, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
Both band blow hard. There should be a fourth option that says "I listen to real metal, not Bullshit For My Valentine or Shitknot".

Real metal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euHMldrw4fw

Trendy mallcore scene kid garbage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrO83v6X8lI
Dude there's no reason to bash either of these bands. There's no such thing as 'real metal'. Just because you like bands doesn't make them real. We like these bands so respect it and back off.


"What do we live for, if not to make life less difficult for each other?"
-George Eliot

"Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it."
-Groucho Marx

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid that it will never begin."
-Grace Hansen
   
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
Maverick Offline
Dark Deceiver
Not a n00b
**
 
Maverick's Avatar
 
Name: Wesley
Age: 19
Gender: I have a penis
Location: The Towers of Avarice

Posts: 62
Join Date: August 17th 2009

Re: slipknot vs bullet for my valentine. - August 30th 2009, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhiteTornado View Post
Dude there's no reason to bash either of these bands. There's no such thing as 'real metal'. Just because you like bands doesn't make them real. We like these bands so respect it and back off.

I listen to plenty of music that isn't real metal, I just don't consider music that sounds like a bunch of screaming infants banging on instruments to be a part of the genre of heavy metal. Please, not only are Slipknot and BFMV not metal, they can hardly even be considered music. Music is supposed to be an art form, not something that a few Hot Topic dwelling toddlers can cry to.
  Send a message via MSN to Maverick  
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
savealife723 Offline
i live. i laugh. i love.
I've been here a while
********
 
savealife723's Avatar
 
Name: Kayla
Age: 19
Gender: girly girl (:
Location: LaLaLand.

Posts: 1,947
Join Date: April 21st 2009

Re: slipknot vs bullet for my valentine. - August 30th 2009, 04:50 AM

bullet for my valentine, baby! (:


When you can't find your way home,
and when life gets too hard to face on your own.
I will stand as a light through the darkness unknown,
I will walk with you, so you're never alone.
  Send a message via AIM to savealife723 Send a message via MSN to savealife723 Send a message via Yahoo to savealife723  
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
TheWhiteTornado Offline
Member
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
TheWhiteTornado's Avatar
 
Name: Jack
Age: 20
Gender: Male

Posts: 799
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: slipknot vs bullet for my valentine. - August 30th 2009, 04:50 AM

Like I said before, respect our taste in music and back off.
I personally love both of these bands, as do thousands more. Everyone listens to music for different reasons, whether to sympathize with or to get an adrenaline rush, there's no reason to sit here and insult others just for having a different taste in music as you.


"What do we live for, if not to make life less difficult for each other?"
-George Eliot

"Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it."
-Groucho Marx

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid that it will never begin."
-Grace Hansen
   
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
TheWhiteTornado Offline
Member
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
TheWhiteTornado's Avatar
 
Name: Jack
Age: 20
Gender: Male

Posts: 799
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: slipknot vs bullet for my valentine. - August 30th 2009, 04:55 AM

If by that you mean listening to BFMV and Slipknot then I'd be more than happy to.


"What do we live for, if not to make life less difficult for each other?"
-George Eliot

"Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it."
-Groucho Marx

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid that it will never begin."
-Grace Hansen
   
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
Em... Offline
smile; it looks good on you.
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Em...'s Avatar
 
Name: Em
Gender: Other

Posts: 638
Join Date: June 16th 2009

Re: slipknot vs bullet for my valentine. - August 30th 2009, 04:58 AM

I'm not a huge fan of metal, but honestly between the two of them, I'm a much bigger fan of Bullet for my Valentine. I just really like what they have to offer more than slipknot.


Wake up.
You're Alive.
We're on your side.

   
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
Maverick Offline
Dark Deceiver
Not a n00b
**
 
Maverick's Avatar
 
Name: Wesley
Age: 19
Gender: I have a penis
Location: The Towers of Avarice

Posts: 62
Join Date: August 17th 2009

Re: slipknot vs bullet for my valentine. - August 30th 2009, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiLeigh View Post
I'm not a huge fan of metal
By that logic you should love both bands.
  Send a message via MSN to Maverick  
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
Jamie Offline
A Tout Le Monde
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Jamie's Avatar
 
Name: Jamie
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Location: Europe

Posts: 605
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: slipknot vs bullet for my valentine. - August 30th 2009, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post

I listen to plenty of music that isn't real metal, I just don't consider music that sounds like a bunch of screaming infants banging on instruments to be a part of the genre of heavy metal. Please, not only are Slipknot and BFMV not metal, they can hardly even be considered music. Music is supposed to be an art form, not something that a few Hot Topic dwelling toddlers can cry to.
*yawn*

Stop acting as some kind of pinaccle for real metal when you clearly have no idea what it's about. I'm not a big fan of either, but I still know they are metal bands. Metal isn't about being an elitist ignorant who hates things just because they're popular and it's also not about Stereotyping- ironic you invoke Death when Chuck always spoke about about stereotypes- you seem to be spitting on his memory a bit there, invoking him in something he'd hate. In other words, grow up and stop thinking a band you doesn't like is now some kind of abomination- probably when you seem to hate them just because they're popular- how very indipendent of you.

Oh and let me just add in that I may listen to both occassionaly- but I do listen to the 'real metal' you go on about like Death. In the last month I've also seen the likes of Enslaved, Carcass, Entombed, Saxon, Candlemass, Amon Amarth- before you revert to your stereotype of someone with a fringe (which i've never had) or goes to Hot Topic (which I've never visited) and please leave the metal genre while you're at it- you're a prime example of what kind of person doesn't need to be in it.


The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw


22:36 [Ergg] It's so much better to be a girl
22:36 [Ergg] IMO
22:36 [Jamie] Naw. Two words: Periods. Childbirth.
22:36 [Ergg] One word: Birth control
22:37 [Jamie] That's two words.
   
  (#30 (permalink)) Old
Maverick Offline
Dark Deceiver
Not a n00b
**
 
Maverick's Avatar
 
Name: Wesley
Age: 19
Gender: I have a penis
Location: The Towers of Avarice

Posts: 62
Join Date: August 17th 2009

Re: slipknot vs bullet for my valentine. - August 30th 2009, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
*yawn*

Stop acting as some kind of pinaccle for real metal when you clearly have no idea what it's about. I'm not a big fan of either, but I still know they are metal bands. Metal isn't about being an elitist ignorant who hates things just because they're popular and it's also not about Stereotyping- ironic you invoke Death when Chuck always spoke about about stereotypes- you seem to be spitting on his memory a bit there, invoking him in something he'd hate. In other words, grow up and stop thinking a band you doesn't like is now some kind of abomination- probably when you seem to hate them just because they're popular- how very indipendent of you.

Oh and let me just add in that I may listen to both occassionaly- but I do listen to the 'real metal' you go on about like Death. In the last month I've also seen the likes of Enslaved, Carcass, Entombed, Saxon, Candlemass, Amon Amarth- before you revert to your stereotype of someone with a fringe (which i've never had) or goes to Hot Topic (which I've never visited) and please leave the metal genre while you're at it- you're a prime example of what kind of person doesn't need to be in it.
For starters, I listen to a few deathcore bands. I am a fan of Born of Osiris, Between the Buried and Me, The Faceless, and The Red Chord. And (while I'm a little embarassed to admit it) I don't think that Parkway Drive are nearly as bad as some of the "tr00" metalheads say they are. I am not narrow minded. You want real narrow minded elitism? You should meet one of the members of another forum I go to. He thinks that Municipal Waste is gay poser metal. Another thing I would like to point out is that I didn't call anyone "gay" because I'm not a homophobic Nazi.

Are you saying that Chuck would enjoy the likes of BFMV and Slipknot? No. I'm pretty sure he would hate both bands for the lack of originality and simplicity of the music. Not to mention that it sounds like a bunch of angsty anarchist teenagers (I know, irony, since I am in my teen years) who think they're br00tal and kvlt because they own Dimmu Borgir's newest album. Chuck might qualify it as metal, but he would say that even if it was metal, it still sucks.

Nice spelling, man.

I must compliment you here. Those bands are awesome.

I just hate generic sound-alike music. I even despise most of the brutal death metal bands.


Wow, I just realized that I'm in my elitist douchbag mood tonight.

Last edited by Maverick; August 30th 2009 at 05:56 AM.
  Send a message via MSN to Maverick  
  (#31 (permalink)) Old
Maverick Offline
Dark Deceiver
Not a n00b
**
 
Maverick's Avatar
 
Name: Wesley
Age: 19
Gender: I have a penis
Location: The Towers of Avarice

Posts: 62
Join Date: August 17th 2009

Re: slipknot vs bullet for my valentine. - August 30th 2009, 06:06 AM

And yet another example how I'm the open minded one: http://www.morbidrealm.com/index.php/topic,549.0.html
I'm the OP. Read the whole thread for a heated debate between me and the biggest elitist to ever grace the internet.
  Send a message via MSN to Maverick  
  (#32 (permalink)) Old
Jamie Offline
A Tout Le Monde
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Jamie's Avatar
 
Name: Jamie
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Location: Europe

Posts: 605
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: slipknot vs bullet for my valentine. - August 30th 2009, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
For starters, I listen to a few deathcore bands. I am a fan of Born of Osiris, Between the Buried and Me, The Faceless, and The Red Chord. And (while I'm a little embarassed to admit it) I don't think that Parkway Drive are nearly as bad as some of the "tr00" metalheads say they are. I am not narrow minded. You want real narrow minded elitism? You should meet one of the members of another forum I go to. He thinks that Municipal Waste is gay poser metal. Another thing I would like to point out is that I didn't call anyone "gay" because I'm not a homophobic Nazi.

Are you saying that Chuck would enjoy the likes of BFMV and Slipknot? No. I'm pretty sure he would hate both bands for the lack of originality and simplicity of the music. Not to mention that it sounds like a bunch of angsty anarchist teenagers (I know, irony, since I am in my teen years) who think they're br00tal and kvlt because they own Dimmu Borgir's newest album. Chuck might qualify it as metal, but he would say that even if it was metal, it still sucks.

Nice spelling, man.

I must compliment you here. Those bands are awesome.

I just hate generic sound-alike music. I even despise most of the brutal death metal bands.


Wow, I just realized that I'm in my elitist douchbag mood tonight.
I know there are worst elitists, trust me- I've had to endure people constantly telling me they hate a band as I'm trying to watch them- But that part was more infact that you seem to have made a few unprovoked comments at other people in the thread just for liking the bands, which seems a bit uncalled for. If you don't like them, fine- why attack others for it? That's where my elitist comments come from. Nothing wrong with stating your opinion, but randomly attacking other people for it just makes you look elitist and puts you in the worst kind of light.

I can't say what bands Chuck would or wouldn't like, for obvious reasons. My point was he always spoke out against stereotyping- which is what your "Hot Topic" comments where doing and what I was saying he'd hate because calling all BFMV fans "Hot Topic Dwelling Toddlers" is just as bad as people who call all metalheads "Depressed violent cult-like satanists." which was something he did speak out against.

Thanks for the band compliment. Spelling- oh no, I spelt one word wrong. I will purge myself in the bowels of hell straight away for such a sin.


The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw


22:36 [Ergg] It's so much better to be a girl
22:36 [Ergg] IMO
22:36 [Jamie] Naw. Two words: Periods. Childbirth.
22:36 [Ergg] One word: Birth control
22:37 [Jamie] That's two words.
   
  (#33 (permalink)) Old
Maverick Offline
Dark Deceiver
Not a n00b
**
 
Maverick's Avatar
 
Name: Wesley
Age: 19
Gender: I have a penis
Location: The Towers of Avarice

Posts: 62
Join Date: August 17th 2009

Re: slipknot vs bullet for my valentine. - August 30th 2009, 06:13 AM

Did you click the link in my second post? The member "...ekojatahw" (his old username was "Mess", which is who I called him in the thread) is a prime example what real elitism is. Now that I look back at that thread, I see the lulz it brought.
  Send a message via MSN to Maverick  
  (#34 (permalink)) Old
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU's Avatar
 

Posts: 2,089
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: slipknot vs bullet for my valentine. - August 30th 2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaDotTissue View Post
Nu-metal, technically a sub-genre of heavy metal, so in other words it has characteristics of heavy metal, but it isn't heavy metal. Just like heavy metal is a sub-genre of rock, but it's not rock.
What in the... . OK, let me point out why that is a pile of nonsensical rubbish. If A is a sub-group of B, then A meets some or all of the definitions of B. Amazingly, you agree with this (bold part). But, you then go on and say that although it has all the characteristics of heavy metal, it isn't heavy metal (underlined part). If it has the characteristics of heavy metal but isn't heavy metal, then what is it a part of? Black metal? Nope. Dark wave? Nope. Metal? Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaDotTissue
AC/DC isn't metal either... And no, black metal isn't metal, it's black metal, it's own genre, even if it has metal influences, it's still not metal. And nu-metal in particular is completely different to metal because it has too many electronic effects, and there's rapping in a lot of it. It isn't metal.


It's all a form of metal in some way. If you want to organize them into their own sub-genres then carry on with that but if you're to look at it like an umbrella model, when categorizing various types of metal, all those types are a form of metal.

But since you say this isn't true, let me ask you this: why does black METAL and nu-METAL all have METAL in their name yet amazingly none of them have anything to do with METAL? If it isn't metal, then why do they have metal in their name?

And now for the part where you make even less sense, in the first post I quoted by you, you said that nu-metal was a sub-genre of heavy metal. But now I wonder, is heavy metal even metal? If it isn't, then please, tell me what is metal and why heavy metal isn't a sub-group of it (and same for black metal, nu-metal, etc...). What branch of music would they all be of? Country? Pop? Rock? Certainly they cant be in any relation to metal though.


But when it comes down to it, I have to say I'm not a huge fan of either band. I like Slipknot more but not this new Psychosocial fad. Some of their old songs were better. I'm not a die-hard fan for their old songs but I would choose them over Bullet for my valentine.
   
  (#35 (permalink)) Old
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
Age of Ignorance's Avatar
 
Name: Mitch
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Posts: 1,341
Join Date: February 3rd 2009

Re: slipknot vs bullet for my valentine. - August 30th 2009, 10:07 AM

How can you put Bullet and Slipknot in the same category?


Because in the end, it doesn't even matter.
   
  (#36 (permalink)) Old
Acheron Offline
El Tigre
I can't get enough
*********
 
Acheron's Avatar
 
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Location: Laying traps for troubadours

Posts: 2,108
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: slipknot vs bullet for my valentine. - August 30th 2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjoyinglife View Post
How can you put Bullet and Slipknot in the same category?
Quite easily. They just don't go into the same sub-category.



Of the two, though, I'll take Bullet For My Valentine. I don't really like either, though. Not because they're not "real metal" (lulz), just because all Bullet For My Valentine's songs are kind of similar and I don't like their style, and Slipknot just annoy me.

Last edited by Acheron; August 30th 2009 at 11:36 AM.
   
  (#37 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Member
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Skeleton's Avatar
 
Name: Charlie
Age: 23
Gender: Female
Location: UK.

Posts: 4,715
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: slipknot vs bullet for my valentine. - August 30th 2009, 11:26 AM

I don't like either very much but if I had to pick it would probably be Bullet for my Valentine as they have a few decent songs.
   
  (#38 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
2 Years Cut Free!
I can't get enough
*********
 
Magical Forest.'s Avatar
 
Name: Hannah
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Location: UK

Posts: 3,366
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: slipknot vs bullet for my valentine. - August 30th 2009, 11:46 AM

Woops I voted for BFMV.
I prefer Slipknot, I don't think BFMV are that bad though.





   
  (#39 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
Member
Outside, huh?
**********
 
noise94's Avatar
 
Gender: N/A

Posts: 3,613
Join Date: January 11th 2009

Re: slipknot vs bullet for my valentine. - August 30th 2009, 12:03 PM

I only like one song by each. But I went for Bullet For My Valentine.
   
  (#40 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough
*********
 
forfrosne's Avatar
 
Name: Matthew
Age: 17
Gender: Male
Location: England

Posts: 3,382
Join Date: August 29th 2009

Re: slipknot vs bullet for my valentine. - August 30th 2009, 12:12 PM

Personally I hate metal so yeah...
   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
bullet, slipknot, valentine

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All material copyright ©1998-2014, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.