TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Media and Entertainment Discuss everything from books to music, movies, television and celebrities in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
volleyballx19 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Sam

Smile Volleyball players!! I have a ? - September 4th 2009, 04:03 PM

Hey! I've played volleyball for only one year; my 7th grade year for the school's team. I'm trying out for the 8th grade team this year. I have to say that I am pretty good except for my overhand serve. I can serve really well underhand, but I'd really love to perfect my overhand serve because the 8th grade coach really wants people on the team to be able to serve overhand. I can get the ball ALMOST to the net but not over it. I just don't have the strength to hit the ball hard enough. I don't know why. Can you give me any tips?? Usually I'll hold the ball in my left hand and take a step with my left, then right feet while throwing up the ball. I cock my arm to the side of my head with an open palm and hit the ball.

"It's amazing what you can hide just by putting on a smile."

"Every story has an end, but in life every end is just a new beginning."
-Uptown Girls

(#2 (permalink)) Old
esfdhtfy Offline
Dream Big
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Joseph S.

Re: Volleyball players!! I have a ? - September 4th 2009, 05:35 PM

My overhand serves always went right over the net and out of bounds in the back. I always hit the ball too hard but I did have an amazing overhand serve since grade six. I didn't even take a step. I held the ball in my left hand and threw it up and just hit it with my right - without moving. Try different techniques at practice and see which works best for you. Nobody understood my method of doing an overhand serve, especially because I didn't even move and it was extremely powerful and landed me many aces. Find what works best for you.

SUP BRO.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Moyshi Offline
i am jack's smirking revenge
I've been here a while

Re: Volleyball players!! I have a ? - September 5th 2009, 05:03 PM

Hey there,
I'm the same as you. My underhand serve is great, but the overhand is a little bit tricky for me. Make sure you don't throw the ball too high, as you'll loose control and strength in your hit. Keep your wrist stiff and follow through the hit with your arm. I'd suggest that you just keep practicing the overhand serve. You'll get better in time, and you'll be able to hit with more strength and accuracy. Good luck with tryouts!

A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

Closed Thread