TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Media and Entertainment (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f23-media-entertainment/)
-   -   music question? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f23-media-entertainment/t7054-music-question/)

whitestringbracelet March 4th 2009 07:22 PM

music question?

Hey, musicians of TeenHelp!!
I was wondering if anyone knew what some of the most commonly used chord progressions are. I write music (guitar) and am always looking for a unique melody, so I'm trying to steer clear of the usual sound.

Thanks so much!
-Calla <3

Gingerbread Latte March 4th 2009 07:43 PM

Re: music question?

I don't actually know what the chords are but my music teacher said the chord progression that The Beatles used in Let It Be is one of the most common.

glittermist March 4th 2009 09:51 PM

I think the most simple chord progressions are something along the lines of:
Em,G, D, A. I've heard it's used in a lot of well-known songs but the strumming patterns are altered; for example it's used in 'Wonderwall' by Oasis, 'Mad World' by REM, and 'Boulevard Of Broken Dreams' by Green Day and probably tons more! Well, i was told this so don't take my entire words for it. :P

Kiefaber March 4th 2009 10:46 PM

The most common and simple music, and to be fair some of the most effetive, revolves around the 1,4,5 chords progression, most commonly used in blues style (12 bar blues - I-I-I-I-IV-IV-I-I-V-IV-I-I)

I also find a pretty common progression to be anything that starting on one fret then jumps four then two ( i know that doesnt make much sense heh) but ie if you start on E the you go to G and A (see Smoke On The Water by Deep Purple)
or maybe starting on the G -> A# -> C

Hope that made sense and helps :)

niente_ March 5th 2009 10:37 PM

Chords I, IV and V are a good start

Also try this one ... C major, A minor, F major, G major. I quite like that one :)

whitestringbracelet March 6th 2009 01:19 AM

Thanks, guys! I have NO idea what the roman numerals are, though... if someone could help me out, it'd be much appreciated :)

... and thanks, Niente, I LOVE the way that chord progression sounds; I'm writing a song using it now!!

ugggg ppoooooppp i just realized I've already written a song with that progression!! SAD. Do you have any other ridiculously pretty ones I can use?? :D

Preferably including the lovely chord of D

somerandomkidmike March 7th 2009 06:44 PM

One of the most common is the chord progression for Pachelbel's Canon in D major.

D A Bm F#m G D/F# G A

This is used in Let it be, but the key is changed for the beatles I think.

you might have to get chord diagrams if you don't know what the chords are.