TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Media and Entertainment Discuss everything from books to music, movies, television and celebrities in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dervisher Offline
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Favorite Character Relations - November 14th 2011, 12:05 AM

One is Jon Irenicus, from Baldurs Gate II Shadows of Amn. (game)
The other is Raistlin Majere, from the Dragonlance series (books)

Their similarities are of a fair amount.

Both want revenge, in an intelligently planned out way (Raistlin wanted revenge from being the weak child, being picked on etc while young)
and Jon Irenicus wanted revenge for the punishment put upon him for seeking power (he was stripped of what makes him an elf, so they say)

Both are extremely cynical and seek to obtain a power. They both make many sacrifices to reach this threshold and of course the good guys stop them.

Both are extremely adept mages, and their intelligence further boosts this advantage. Jon Irenicus was a little more fore-going but he always had plots and traps and such. He even managed to break out of the cowled wizards' jail.Where Raistlin had a lot of plots and plans and outsmarted a more powerful mage at one point in the story.

Both had a love for a person which in the end brought them to their downfall.
Jon Irenicus not to much, but the loss of her love drove him to this scale of madness. Raistlin's downfall was literally because of his love for her.

In the end this amounts to:
I like these characters because while they have 'wrong' goals, they are willing to sacrifice everything they had to get it. Yet in the end they still hold onto their past, which ends up dragging them to defeat. Their cynical side I can always relate to because that's what I am. The one thing I lack is being adept at something, but i'm human and they're made up characters so this is understandable. Their love being their downfall is always something i've felt like is a common occurrence in relationships, and perhaps not all relationships but I feel every relationship I have (even family ,friends) is always just slowing down what I potentially could be doing instead.

But I end up wasting time reading threads like these and playing games, so why does it matter at this point? My thoughts contradict what I do every day.

What's your thoughts on why I relate so much to these two characters?
and post some of your own similarities to characters that you relate to/like. Why not? More time for me to waste. More time for you to waste.

Closed Thread