TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Gallade

Edit avatar

Computer Low on Virtual Memory = Poor Performance? And some other issues - April 27th 2009, 08:22 PM

*prepare for a montage of computer problems*

Is this disk space or another type of memory? I deleted many unused files from my computer yet it still performs poorly. It's reached the point where if I restart the computer one or several of these screens show up:

1. I am brought to a black "Windows did not start properly, choose how you want to start Windows" screen.

2. A light blue screen which checks a drive in the computer for consistency.

3. A screen where I must press F4 to proceed (sorry don't remember much, it was a black screen with white font and some sort of logo. I'll take a better look next time).

4. A completely black screen, then a white loading bar appears at the bottom. The loading bar looks like lines on a highway organized in a parallel fashion. Or I can say it looks like this: "I I I I I I I".

Sometimes the cycle repeats more than once in one reset.

Also, the other computer is infected with Vundo

Oh yeah, Firefox and this program called "Bell Business Internet Security" crash randomly for no reason. For BBIS, the error screen instructs to remove other antivirus related programs but I can't find any?

Just thought I should post it all here in one go. I use Windows XP if that helps. And I can't find the installation disk....

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Power Cosmic Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Janos

Re: Computer Low on Virtual Memory = Poor Performance? And some other issues - April 27th 2009, 08:52 PM

Virtual Memory refers to where your computer's running programs go, but not your Random Access Memory (RAM) which are normally used, instead this is when parts of your Hard Disk are used for this purpose, which are generally the cause of much lower performance.
Perhaps a RAM upgrade would be the best way to go if your computer is saying it's low on virtual memory often.
Look for a program called System Information, its in Accessories if I remember right, and copy-paste the information from that to here, I need to know a wee bit more about your computer before I can say for sure.

All four of those screens are normal if you computer has been restarted improperly. Are you perhaps pulling out the power cord/hitting the button without waiting for the system to shut itself down properly?

"My one desire is for peace -- peace for everyone"

Send a message via MSN to Power Cosmic  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Deep Brown Eyes Offline
Hic Sunt Dracones
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Computer Low on Virtual Memory = Poor Performance? And some other issues - April 27th 2009, 11:49 PM

On XP, System Information is under All Programs > Accessories > System Tools.
As Janos said, Virtual Memory is a part of your hard drive that is used like RAM where there's no space left in the actual RAM. It's also called a paging file.

You can adjust the size of this file by: Start > Right click My Computer > Properties > Advanced Tab. Then click the button under the Performance section, and then click the Advanced tab.

Screen 1; You often get this if you pull the power supply, hit the reset key or perform any other sort of improper shutdown.

Screen 2: That runs the Check Disk program - Windows has detected that there's a possibility your hard drive might be damaged and starts checking it.

Screen 3: Sorry, not sure what screen that is.

Screen 4: That's normal if you're returning from standby or hibernation.

They all suggest that you're not shutting down properly.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Gallade

Edit avatar

Re: Computer Low on Virtual Memory = Poor Performance? And some other issues - April 29th 2009, 09:07 PM

Thanks for the responses, sorry for my semi-late response.

From what I understand, do I perform a virtual memory upgrade by clicking Start > Right click My Computer > Properties > Advanced Tab? Do I enter any value or is there a specific number that works best for my computer?

How do I perform a RAM upgrade? Is there an external hardware I need?

I would give you the system information but the computer won't load. The computer is cycling through the screens above so that is why I'm posting from the vundo infested computer. Occasionally it does make it to the desktop but then the computer crashes and restarts. I sometimes hear a crackling sound as the computer cycles.

I turn off the computer by closing all programs until I am at the desktop. Then I hold the power button until it shuts off. Is that the proper way to turn off my computer?

Questions ftw.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
freelancertex78 Offline
Resident Neuro Nerd
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Steph

Re: Computer Low on Virtual Memory = Poor Performance? And some other issues - April 30th 2009, 12:14 AM

When you turn off your computer, you should do it by going to the Start menu and clicking on "Turn Off Computer". If you're on a shared PC, with other users on the computer with their own profiles, then click on "Log Off" in the Start menu, and then click on "Turn Off Computer" on the user login screen. That's the proper way to turn off a computer.

I'd sing you a song, but I'm feeling quite off
in my heart; it's occupied,

and now's not the time.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Power Cosmic Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Computer Low on Virtual Memory = Poor Performance? And some other issues - April 30th 2009, 12:26 AM

That's possibly why your computers having so many errors, because you've been shutting it down improperly, and there most likely isn't any viruses.
Let it cycle through those screens by itself for a couple hours, give it time to try and repair the damage done and then from now on, shut down the computer as Steph has said.
Also, you upgrade RAM by buying RAM cards, which are physical components that go inside your computer, I'm sure if you ask your local computer hardware store they can show you what you need =)

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Gallade

Edit avatar

Re: Computer Low on Virtual Memory = Poor Performance? And some other issues - May 2nd 2009, 04:41 AM

Phew, I had to let the computer cycle through those screens for two days before it finally loaded. I'll be sure to turn the computer off as stated. That's a start.

Here is the System Information you requested.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name BLACK-BIRD
System Manufacturer INTEL_
System Model D845GVS1
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~2800 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. VA84510A.86A.0030.P10.0402160229, 16/02/2004
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale Canada
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
User Name BLACK-BIRD\Adam
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 256.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 52.09 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 624.75 MB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Power Cosmic Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Computer Low on Virtual Memory = Poor Performance? And some other issues - May 2nd 2009, 02:03 PM

Hm, you've only got 256MB of RAM, that's not much perhaps invest in some more? That might be one of the reasons why your computer would be going so slow. Also perhaps check out some of the software on this thread:

http://forums.teenhelp.org/showthread.php?t=7585

That might help increase your computer's efficiency also =)

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Gallade

Edit avatar

Re: Computer Low on Virtual Memory = Poor Performance? And some other issues - May 4th 2009, 11:19 PM

Aww now I have to buy some hardware, I was hoping I could do something like deleting files to get more RAM. So it isn't possible to gain more RAM other than buying RAM cards?

Thanks for the responses so far, I forgot my other question though.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
freelancertex78 Offline
Resident Neuro Nerd
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Steph

Re: Computer Low on Virtual Memory = Poor Performance? And some other issues - May 5th 2009, 01:12 PM

Clearing out files is always a good idea, it does help. However, it has little effect on overall efficiency and speed of the computer, because what you're doing is clearing out your hard drive, which is different than RAM. RAM makes it easier for your computer to access information, and it's cleared out every time you restart your computer. That might be why your computer ran so slowly, it didn't have time to clear out its RAM. But the more RAM you have, the faster your computer will run. If you want some more information, here's a nice little video to explain things: Computer Hardware in Plain English.

Basically, no, you can't get more RAM without buying RAM cards.

I'd sing you a song, but I'm feeling quite off
in my heart; it's occupied,

and now's not the time.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Gallade

Edit avatar

Re: Computer Low on Virtual Memory = Poor Performance? And some other issues - May 13th 2009, 04:53 AM

Okay I see, good thing we have computer literate users here

I guess someone can close this now, the only thing I really need to keep this topic open is a question I had about a week ago. I can always make another topic. Thanks to everyone for the responses.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Power Cosmic Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Computer Low on Virtual Memory = Poor Performance? And some other issues - May 13th 2009, 03:57 PM

Sure thing. =)
I'm glad we could help. Closing this now.

Closed Thread