TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Pending...Work in progess
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Thinking about buying a Mac. - May 16th 2009, 01:43 AM

As some of you may know, I work at a call center. There are several campaigns in that call center from several different companies. I work for Microsoft for your information. You can only imagine how many times I hear 'I don't like Vista' 'I'm switching to a Mac', etc etc etc...

With all of the little problems and virus issues that Windows XP/Vista has, and it's no doubt that Windows 7 will have the same issues, I have considered buying myself a Mac. It started two days ago when my dad was thinking about buying a smart car in order to be more environment-friendly. He got me into the idea of being more concerned about the environment. I know for a fact that PC's consume a lot of power just by idling and the materials are not friendly for our Mother Earth.

I spent 2 hours last night surfing for info on www.apple.com and every paragraph I read about the Mac, I am just much more attracted to it. With PC's, I always regret my purchase a day or two later. I know there are some people who have always stayed with Mac since the beginning and more of Mac users that have migrated from Windows/PC systems. The materials of the Mac are recyclable(sp?) from what I've read and the look of the Mac Desktops/Laptops just place me in awe. The thing that I find so cute is the Macbook Air, which is like a centimeter thick and only weighs 3 pounds, it seems like my pressence alone with break it. It seems easy to use after watching a few videos on how to use its different applications, not to mention that the applications whether they are paid or free products seem to be very convenient whether it be for work or games. The big bonus about the Mac is that it doesn't seem to be a huge target for viruses compared to the PC. I also have a 2 year old 80GB iPod that I have never used because it just seemed so difficult to actually being able to gain access to it properly on the Windows XP, I haven't tried it on the Windows Vista..yet. I'm more technically trained than two years ago, I know I could make it work on a Windows XP now, but I think I'll wait until I do get a Mac.

My question is, if I make the transition from PC/Windows to Mac, would I still be infatuated with it months down the road? I suppose this is more of a question for those that used to be a PC user but has now made the transition to Mac. I think I've seen that some of you use the Mac and hope that I'm not just posting this for nothing.

Thanks for reading~!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Trickmatic Offline
-
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Thinking about buying a Mac. - May 16th 2009, 05:22 AM

Hey Matt,

I remember when I bought a Macbook Pro about a year ago from this date, I spent months trying to find a laptop that is right for me.

A rude awakening that I did find out was the fact that MSN Messenger for Windows in comparison to Mac is superior. I also found out that there are some Flash and Java plug-ins that couldn't work on the Mac as they would on Windows (I don't know if this is due to me not knowing if there's a way). Some things like iSketch don't load properly on a Mac.

I have not had much experience with Windows Vista, so I really can't fairly comment on it. At first I regretted the purchase as I found that for what I needed, the computer did not provide the best value for my money.

I think the best thing that Macs can give a practical user is the long battery life. I've had my Macbook Pro for almost a year now, and it can still go up to 4 hours and 30 minutes on a single charge. Comparing with other people around me, that's a big thing. I also prefer the touch mouse on Macs in comparison to most Windows computers. It is also much easier to set up using an iPod on an Apple computer, though I've had no problems using Windows XP (not sure about Vista).

Personally, I wouldn't go for the Macbook Air because the harddrive is much smaller, and the processor is not as strong.

I do like the new unibody Macs though. I have dents in my current laptop because of the computer having a lower and upper body casing.

It's really your preference as to your budget and needs for your computer. If you want anymore info, PM me :]

Closed Thread