TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

need opinions quick - May 7th 2016, 02:26 AM

honestly, this is kind of a stupid thing to ask, when people on here are dealing with suicide and depression and all that.. it feels like such a first world problem, but i get really anxious whenever i buy stuff, and especially stuff like this, so i kinda need advice from people who know what they're talking about..

alright, so since i'm desperate for technology after being grounded and not having my phone for half a year, i'm seriously considering buying a cheapass ipod off ebay just to use at school.

the thing is, i know nothing about apple products, but here are the details about it...
-it's a 4th generation
-can only go up to iOS 6
-32gb

the main things i want to use it for are Kik and Snapchat, but both of those have been upgraded to iOS versions past 6. with Kik i'm pretty sure i could still just get the old version, but i heard with Snapchat there's no way, cause it locks users out who haven't upgraded or something like that.

the ipod i'm looking at is like $70 bucks, which isn't too expensive, but it isn't cheap either. it'd put a big strain in my spending money -- scratch that, i'd have no spending money, i'd be saving until i earn that 70 back. i don't even have a job, so it's scary for me to spend money like that.

especially since i don't know when/if i'm getting my phone back. i have no idea if it's gonna be soon or if it's ever gonna happen.
but i won't EVER be able to use the ipod at home. my parent's wifi tracker thing will pick up my device if i connect it to the wifi, so then they'll know that someone in the house has a random ipod.

i don't want to spend the money if i'm getting my phone back soon, because then obviously i'll want to sell the ipod and that'll be difficult (i'm getting it through a relative. i'm sure she'd be fine with helping me resell it, but she's busy and i hate asking her irrelevant crap like this. i hate asking YOU GUYS irrelevant crap like this. :/ )
i'll be flying out to another state later this month for my cousin's wedding. i don't think my parents would let me leave them that far without a cell phone, but i'm not sure. i don't want to go without a device on that trip, but i don't want to waste money and have two devices either.

even if i get the ipod and decide to keep it after i get my phone back, i'll still never be able to use it at home because then my parents will know i got it behind their backs.

so basically i'm just wondering...
1. should i get the ipod and just try to get the older versions of the apps? if anyone has a 4th gen ipod, could you let me know if it can do that?
i've looked at the 5th gen ones and those are hella expensive -- way out of my price range for a cheap little temporary device.
2. should i even get the ipod, or just wait it out until i get my phone? it's torture, i feel like i'm missing out on talking to my friends, and it's actually making school harder because i can't use apps to help remind me and take pics of the notes. but it would suck to have an ipod behind my parents back after i do get my phone back. and what would be the ultimate worst is if i get my phone back and THEN they find out i had the ipod all along. yikes.

it's on ebay so obviously it's not going to be there forever. it's listed as a "buy it now" item, so it's not like there's an auction running out of time, but it has a limited supply left so i need to decide ASAP.

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Online
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: need opinions quick - May 7th 2016, 02:58 AM

I wouldn't get it. I mean, you've been without your phone for quite some time so it is possible that your parents are going to give it back. But, by going behind their back and getting this device you might ruin those chances. I mean, you can try to keep it hidden but there is a good chance that they will find it. Most the time when you go behind your parents back they figure it out.

If you can maybe you could discuss with them when they plan on giving you your phone back. I mean, I don't know what it got taken away for but it is possible they'd be willing to discuss this with you.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: need opinions quick - May 7th 2016, 04:09 AM

shit.. i was running out of time and by writing this post i just convinced myself it was a good idea, so i panicked and just emailed my relative the link. she already bought it.

i mean, i feel happy that i'm gonna have something to use at school but.. i just feel this immense guilt now. :S like it's hurting my stomach.

do you really think they're going to find out?? they always threaten to me that "no matter what i do, the truth will always come out".
jesus what's wrong with me.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: need opinions quick - May 8th 2016, 05:24 AM

I think there's a strong chance you will get caught. There are ways to conceal it but from my experience you can only keep things a secret for so long.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: need opinions quick - May 8th 2016, 08:00 PM

ugh.. great.
what's even worse is that i actually finally got my phone back yesterday.
and the ipod's already on its way.
i'm out 70 bucks now.

fuuuck..

(#6 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: need opinions quick - May 9th 2016, 01:17 AM

Can you cancel the order or have the person that bought it for you send it back? If not maybe you could sell it? You might be able to make your money back.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Re: need opinions quick - May 15th 2016, 09:54 PM

Can you not return your order?

Closed Thread