TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Mr_Awesome Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: John Smith

Question Photography Issues - July 20th 2016, 11:55 PM

I've recently come across a new hobby that I really enjoy, but for my photography I wanted to make it more sharp, and professional and try to open my creative eye a little. I purchased a used Nikon D3000 DSLR, and I was so exited because I was coaxed into buying a $60.00 Nikon D70, which ended up not working. I thought that I could use the 28-80 mm Nikkor lens that came with the old one but it doesn't seem to focus on closer subjects and doesn't do well in low light, even if I lower the aperture. The lens claims to autofocus, and I tried but I'm sure something isn't working (Also, subjects that are farther away appear clearer). Are the lens and camera not compatible? Am I doing something wrong? Also, I would really appreciate any suggestions for lenses that can support both far and close subjects. Thanks in advance!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Photography Issues - July 22nd 2016, 07:42 AM

Hey!

Depending if it's an AF-S, AF-I, or other type of AF Nikkor lens it might not be effective with an aperture below f/5.6 with the newer camera model. Which could explain you not being able to get a better depth of field. Plus, 28-80mm Nikkor lenses were discontinued long before the Nikon D3000 was released, so there may be inconsistencies in the mechanisms to where they do not work correctly together.

Depending on your budget for a better lens, you can go with the cheaper 50mm f/1.8 lens which runs around $130-$200+ depending on where you buy from (I found one for $130-ish on Amazon). There are more expensive ones that have a better depth of field, but they can run above $2000.

Honestly, if you've only just come across doing photography, I'd hold off on buying any lenses for now. Unless you have money to burn, then go ahead. But the camera is only a tool for you. I would learn as much as you can about how your current camera and lens takes pictures. Then, if you find you can easily accomplish doing something with your current equipment, buy a new lens to fit your needs. You could end up wasting a fair amount of money you might not even have buying a lens you won't use. If you want to experiment you could try renting a lens which is a lot cheaper, especially for the more expensive ones.

Best of luck! Photography is really fun and a great hobby to have.

“There is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.” — Nikita Gill

Closed Thread