TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

No Man's Sky - August 19th 2016, 03:33 PM

I'm surprised this hasn't come up, yet. Has anyone been playing this? I've spent a decent chunk of time on it this past week (some nights staying up till 5am playing). A lot of reviews have seemed relatively critical towards it, but I personally am enjoying it.

I also think the ending, for those of you who have seen it, is genius -- not stupid as most people seem to think. Solely because it replicates reality and makes you feel even smaller.

The game play is a little repetitive, but what game isn't? Let's be honest. Pokemon Go is essentially the same thing. Granted it's free, unless you spend money. But, 60$ isn't THAT much when you consider that going to the movies for 2 and getting a soda and popcorn cost ~$60 and will only last 2 hours.

Then theres the fact that only 14 people made this game.

Anyways, say what you will. I am enjoying this.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Sen Vanos Offline
That One Guy
Not a n00b

Name: Sen

Re: No Man's Sky - August 19th 2016, 07:06 PM

Honestly, the repetitive gameplay isn't the problem. The gameplay is unrewarding. It's main goal is getting to the center of the galaxy, well, you have the ability to mine minerals with your device , but your device needs fuel, well, you have the ability to mine with your device etc. etc. You quickly fall into the loop of mining and creating fuel with no new options at all, everything in the game can be done by mining. Compared to Minecraft, it's reward factor isn't great. In Minecraft, tools break, and you need better materials to create tools, which you can mine with your current tools, but mining is dangerous, so you have food to heal you. You have obstacles and abilities to overcome them. In NMS, even if you upgrade your tool, it still requires fuel to run. In essence, the only obstacle you have to overcome is gathering fuel, and the only skill you have is mining resources with your tool that requires fuel. The only thing this adds is pressure to the player, not a unique challenge. But anyway, you have another obstacle, getting your ship of the planet, but you need fuel, so you can mine, but you need fuel to fly faster, so you can mine, but you need fuel to go even FASTER, so you can mine. You see what I'm getting at? Everything is solved by mining. Minecraft also requires you to mine, but also to experiment and build.

By far the biggest mistake that No Man's Sky made, was the immersion. Oh, you've discovered a new planet? Too bad, it's already got many buildings and structures on it, even though it's uninhabited. There are supposedly 18 QUINTILLION (18.000.000.000.000.000.000) planets in the game, while I and others feel like there are only about 3 with color swaps.

Also, this quote:

"The developers have set themselves a 90–10 rule. 90 percent of all the planets will not be habitable and won’t have any life on them. Of the 10 percent that do, 90 percent of that life will be primitive and boring. The tiny fraction of garden worlds with more evolved life forms on them will thus be almost as rare in the game universe as they ought to be in
the real one. This scarcity is part of the delicate balance that Hello Games is trying to strike between its idealistic commitment to the science of sci-fi and the inherent need to keep players entertained."

I think you can already see what's wrong with this.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
AMA on teenhelp Offline
im just a dead man walking
Regular TeenHelper

Name: .

Re: No Man's Sky - August 19th 2016, 07:11 PM

The game is shit on pc its even worse than ac u and batman arkham night it crashes all the time and even worse sometimes you cant turn your pc of

it takes a strong man to deny whats right in front of him and if the truth is undeniable you create your own

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Chaotic mind...
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Pathetic person

Re: No Man's Sky - August 19th 2016, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMA on teenhelp View Post
The game is shit on pc its even worse than ac u and batman arkham night it crashes all the time and even worse sometimes you cant turn your pc of
You sure you don't have specs below the minimum requirements? Mine ran perfectly, though it was odd that the frames were capped at 30fps instead of 60 and I had to change that in the settings.

Anyway, I'm at odds with this game tbh. I like it because it's a chill game to me but I can't really love it but it's exactly as it was advertised. You explore, you mine, you discover gross penis-shaped dinosaurs as well as cute wobbly, jelly aliens on strange alien worlds yet everyone is complaining about the package. Why? You got what you exactly wanted as shown in the trailers of the game, and yet you complain? Why the hell did you buy it in the first place?
So honestly the fault isn't with the developers, but with idiotic people who expected this game to be full of surprises.
Furthermore, people are complaining there's no multiplayer? Boohoo... because it'll take 50 years to find your friend anyway and that if you're lucky. It's literally makes no difference if the multiplayer is added or not.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: No Man's Sky - August 20th 2016, 11:28 AM

I don't own it so haven't played it, but I have heard and seen so many complains and these complaints are often repeated. You go to a planet, you mine, explore etc, you move to a new planet, mine, explore etc, move to a new planet, mine, explore etc and this process is repeated the whole time. The game is very unique in that everything is procedurally generated. No other game has ever come close to doing it on this large of a scale and thus making the game extremely unique.

Even if the game was a small Indie dev team, they received a lot of funding from Sony Interactive Entertainment so they had a sizable amount of money to work with to release a full game, which on release was akin to playing an Early Access. People's saves became corrupt causing them to lose hours of gameplay due to errors and crashing as well as other bugs which should never have been there on a $60 release game. A full release game. Small indie team or not, they should not have been there, there is no excuse for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forging Galaxies View Post

You got what you exactly wanted as shown in the trailers of the game, and yet you complain? Why the hell did you buy it in the first place?
So honestly the fault isn't with the developers, but with idiotic people who expected this game to be full of surprises.
Furthermore, people are complaining there's no multiplayer? Boohoo... because it'll take 50 years to find your friend anyway and that if you're lucky. It's literally makes no difference if the multiplayer is added or not.
Sadly people did not and they have every right to be angry/upset. When the game received a PlayStation press converence back in 2014, you can clearly see that Sean Murray talks about a lot of features that are and will be in No Man's Sky, however by the time gamers got the final product, around 3/4 of things provided weren't even in the game. Sure it could be argued that was the ideal version of the game, but when you make a press conference advertising what will be in your game, fans and players alike will hold you to that and they will most definitely disappointed when you don't stick to your word.

Life is for living, not for losing.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
AMA on teenhelp Offline
im just a dead man walking
Regular TeenHelper

Name: .

Re: No Man's Sky - August 20th 2016, 06:28 PM

I have the specs for it but i read the reviews from it and it was bad and on steam all reviews say its bad

it takes a strong man to deny whats right in front of him and if the truth is undeniable you create your own

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Chaotic mind...
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Pathetic person

Re: No Man's Sky - August 22nd 2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivière View Post
I don't own it so haven't played it, but I have heard and seen so many complains and these complaints are often repeated. You go to a planet, you mine, explore etc, you move to a new planet, mine, explore etc, move to a new planet, mine, explore etc and this process is repeated the whole time. The game is very unique in that everything is procedurally generated. No other game has ever come close to doing it on this large of a scale and thus making the game extremely unique.

Even if the game was a small Indie dev team, they received a lot of funding from Sony Interactive Entertainment so they had a sizable amount of money to work with to release a full game, which on release was akin to playing an Early Access. People's saves became corrupt causing them to lose hours of gameplay due to errors and crashing as well as other bugs which should never have been there on a $60 release game. A full release game. Small indie team or not, they should not have been there, there is no excuse for this.

Sadly people did not and they have every right to be angry/upset. When the game received a PlayStation press converence back in 2014, you can clearly see that Sean Murray talks about a lot of features that are and will be in No Man's Sky, however by the time gamers got the final product, around 3/4 of things provided weren't even in the game. Sure it could be argued that was the ideal version of the game, but when you make a press conference advertising what will be in your game, fans and players alike will hold you to that and they will most definitely disappointed when you don't stick to your word.
I just checked what they've taken out and holy god did they take out alot, I just assumed I haven't encountered those kind of features when I played the game (yeah I can't play for more than one hour in a day so I only got 5 hours logged in). Hmph, I guess I was wrong about this game and the developers should be shunned for showing features that won't be in the game. Well, we can all establish it's a bad game now and that it's not worth 60 dollars.

(Just gave out a refund request since Steam are actually refunding those even with over the 2hr mark)

(#8 (permalink)) Old
undeleted3 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: No Man's Sky - August 22nd 2016, 10:55 PM

I haven't played it, but have watched several reviews of it and will probably not buy it. The game is indeed huge, but is really repetitive. I think one of the reviews said that it's as big as an ocean, but is shallow as a puddle . The game lacks any real depth and looks like you'll get bored of playing it after a couple of hours because there's no variety in it. I think a lot of people were pissed with the developers not being clear if it has multiplayer or not.

Closed Thread