TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MyVisionIsDying Offline
Talk Nerdy To Me.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Shane

Weird scam/virus/spam pop up things when on Tumblr? - October 16th 2016, 05:44 PM

So for the past couple of days, whenever I'm a few minutes into browsing Tumblr- specifically when I'm idle from the tab- the tab changes from Tumblr to some scam or virus or spam pop up that I've been blocking with a chrome extension. I don't recall downloading anything suspicious (considering the only thing I downloaded was from Steam and that was Left 4 Dead 2 and I highly doubt the game would've come with any problems apart from lag, haha). I'm wondering what could be causing this to happen seeing as it only happens on the tab that Tumblr is on and nothing else.

EDIT* It turns out that there are other users experiencing similar problems so I've got no clue.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.

Last edited by MyVisionIsDying; October 16th 2016 at 06:01 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Weird scam/virus/spam pop up things when on Tumblr? - October 16th 2016, 07:16 PM

There could be something wrong with tumblr right now. Have you googled the problems with tumblr? It might have gotten hacked. This can happen. Or maybe they made an update that's being read like a virus. Idk sorry if that's not helpful, I'm not much of a computer expert.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#3 (permalink)) Old
MyVisionIsDying Offline
Talk Nerdy To Me.
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Weird scam/virus/spam pop up things when on Tumblr? - October 16th 2016, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always * View Post
There could be something wrong with tumblr right now. Have you googled the problems with tumblr? It might have gotten hacked. This can happen. Or maybe they made an update that's being read like a virus. Idk sorry if that's not helpful, I'm not much of a computer expert.

Considering I've seen people with similar problems right now and then hearing about some people getting pop ups to register to vote in the US for the upcoming election it could be connected but I'm not sure.
I've attempted to Google to problem but the results come up with how to edit your blog theme to include little pop ups or something so nothing relevant on that end. It's strange because I'm currently viewing my blog but nothing's happened, it usually happened on the dashboard (which I'm currently anxious to go on via my laptop right now).

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Weird scam/virus/spam pop up things when on Tumblr? - October 16th 2016, 07:45 PM

Maybe Tumblr is working on a campaign to get people to vote? I'm not going to get into my opinions on the election, especially given that I'm not an American but I know that a lot of people are completely freaked out by this election. Youth voting turn out usually sucks (youth being anyone under 25 in this case and often is still a problem up to age 30) and Tumblr has a lot of young people on their platform. I think that organizations are like "oh dear!" And want to try to engage people in the election because, idk, I've seem the news, it's pretty concerning. They might just be trying to get people to be engaged and like make a difference. A lot of state voting registries are closing soon, don't click if you don't want though, but it actually might not be spam/ a virus if it is related to the election.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi.

Re: Weird scam/virus/spam pop up things when on Tumblr? - October 16th 2016, 08:10 PM

I haven't had any problems with tumblr on my computer the last few days so it might be a regional thing? I just was on Tumblr this morning and it was working normally. I'm not in the states so that might be why. I also have a mac.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: Weird scam/virus/spam pop up things when on Tumblr? - October 16th 2016, 09:20 PM

The websites that alert their users that they need to register to vote should be detecting your IP address. Say, you're in the UK, then Tumblr should know that. Unless you're using a proxy-blocker and that fake IP is a US one.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
MyVisionIsDying Offline
Talk Nerdy To Me.
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Weird scam/virus/spam pop up things when on Tumblr? - October 16th 2016, 09:29 PM

I'm not too knowledgeable with IPs and whatnot as I'm sure mine is a UK IP address, but these pop ups are random sites- one is noticeably some scam site called Brit Method or something and another was some alert telling me I won an iPhone or something. I know not to click on them, I quickly click off them before I have a chance to properly look at the page and I've blocked the URLs as well although I'm not sure how effective that would be.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Weird scam/virus/spam pop up things when on Tumblr? - October 17th 2016, 03:35 AM

If other people who use Tumblr are experiencing the problem I would suggest contacting Tumblr about it. It might be an issue they are aware of and are trying to fix or they might not be aware of it and bringing it to their attention might help bring about some kind of solution.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#9 (permalink)) Old
MyVisionIsDying Offline
Talk Nerdy To Me.
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Weird scam/virus/spam pop up things when on Tumblr? - October 17th 2016, 03:43 AM

I've contacted Tumblr, hoping they reply or at least acknowledge the problem. Nothing else has happened so I'm hoping it'll be smooth sailing from here on out.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
MyVisionIsDying Offline
Talk Nerdy To Me.
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Weird scam/virus/spam pop up things when on Tumblr? - October 17th 2016, 07:47 PM

To update on the issue, I've sent Tumblr another help form, this time with a screenshot of one of the pop ups as proof of what's happening. They still haven't got back to me after sending the first help form and an email to elaborate.

EDIT* Enabled AdBlock on Chrome and I think (keyword being think) it works and there haven't been any more pop ups on Tumblr as of enabling AdBlock. For the record, I've also enabled McAfee WebAdvisor as well- don't even know why I didn't do so earlier for extra precaution.

Last edited by MyVisionIsDying; October 17th 2016 at 10:24 PM.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Weird scam/virus/spam pop up things when on Tumblr? - October 17th 2016, 10:42 PM

Ad blockers should fix this issue give it some time if not your computer may have picked up some Spyware or something feel free to contact me if you need any help I hope thus issue gets resolved.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
MyVisionIsDying Offline
Talk Nerdy To Me.
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Weird scam/virus/spam pop up things when on Tumblr? - October 18th 2016, 10:31 PM

Everything seems to be fine again, although I'm still going to be cautious because I can't help it. Tumblr support is utterly useless as I have concluded, as all they've told me is about spam blogs and spam messages and how to block them. I've sent them another email along with a screenshot of one of the pop ups with another explanation how these pop ups redirect from the site and it happens only on Tumblr. I wonder how they'll respond...

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: Weird scam/virus/spam pop up things when on Tumblr? - October 21st 2016, 09:35 AM

Have you downloaded spy not search and destroy that's pretty good at picking up anything wrong lkke malware etc it works along side any current virus protection you may already have

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

Closed Thread