TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Get Yo' Insta Off My Facebook! - November 14th 2016, 04:49 PM

The title is fairly obvious here.

I don't use Instagram. I downloaded it once, wasn't for me, deleted it and never looked back. But recently I keep getting these stupid ads on the facebook app saying "NAME and 33 other friends are using Instagram" and it has a recent photo that someone posted there.
It's an ad. If I click on it, it opens the app store to get me to download Instagram. Which I don't want.

I've Googled and I've been through every stupid setting but I can't find anything that will stop these ads popping up. They're not doing me any harm, they're just irritating and I don't like having this app forced down my throat every time I log in.

Does anyone know how to turn these ads off? There's nothing about Instagram in my ad preferences, I can't select the ad and click 'see fewer posts like this' or 'hide advert', and I don't have my account linked to Instagram in any way.

Help!

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Get Yo' Insta Off My Facebook! - November 14th 2016, 06:20 PM

This is an ad like most other ads; I don't think there is really any way to make it go away because otherwise people would make all social media ads go away, and Facebook would stop making money from companies who pay for ads to be there since companies would stop benefiting from it (e.g. new followers on Instagram and more purchases if in a revenue based company). So as much as Facebook is a social platform for people, it needs to generate money for it to keep existing and thus has to cater to companies like instagram, whether you agree with the internet marketing process or not ( I admit it can be pretty annoying to be constantly assaulted with images/ads for things you don't want). I'd just try to ignore it.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#3 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Resource Editor

I can't get enough

Re: Get Yo' Insta Off My Facebook! - November 14th 2016, 07:16 PM

I think you can click on a little drop down menu arrow that would be found in the top right corner of that post/ad... You should have an option to choose from things, one should say something on the lines of, not interested in this ad, doesn't relate, something like that. I know you can do that with friends on your facebook, seeing less of there posts. It should also work with ads. They may cater to something else from your search history and place something that you don't mind looking at.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Get Yo' Insta Off My Facebook! - November 14th 2016, 07:53 PM

WretatsyRemedial actually has a good point - you might be able to tell it "not interested" on the actual add. I never thought of that, but it would be a really good thing for Facebook to install to allow you to get rid of things you don't like but also because it helps marketers target their ads better. I don't know how much you know about FB ads, but generally you target it (e.g. businesses, women, people who like cats, people with glasses, single people etc.) and it's based on an algorithm. So if lots of people don't like / aren't interested in an add it's good for all parties (you to get rid of it, Facebook to help individuals + marketers, marketers to know how to target their stuff better later). I'd check it out.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Outside, huh?

Name: Cathy

Re: Get Yo' Insta Off My Facebook! - November 14th 2016, 10:14 PM

For your laptop, if you have google chrome, you could try AdBlock and that usually hides all of the ads.

However, there really isn't much you can do if it's on your phone.

Member Since 1/15/2012

(#6 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Re: Get Yo' Insta Off My Facebook! - November 15th 2016, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WretatsyRemedial View Post
I think you can click on a little drop down menu arrow that would be found in the top right corner of that post/ad... You should have an option to choose from things, one should say something on the lines of, not interested in this ad, doesn't relate, something like that. I know you can do that with friends on your facebook, seeing less of there posts. It should also work with ads. They may cater to something else from your search history and place something that you don't mind looking at.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LlamaLlamaDuck View Post

It's an ad. If I click on it, it opens the app store to get me to download Instagram. Which I don't want.

[...]
I can't select the ad and click 'see fewer posts like this' or 'hide advert',

I didn't really expect anyone to know how to fix this, there's been absolutely nothing on Google. I'm just irritated by having it shoved in my face every time I log in. I get that Facebook bought Instagram and obviously they want to market it, but I also think it'd be nice to have a choice in the matter.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Get Yo' Insta Off My Facebook! - November 20th 2016, 03:50 PM

There may be a setting but I'm pretty sure you can't remove this feature.

Closed Thread